Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Nicknames terms of endearment or bullying?

As an occupational hazard I get plenty of nicknames, and have had plenty of varying ones throughout my career. In the original SCC thread I merely made the distinction between a thick-skinned adult matelot and a sensitive child being called names.

Having said that I prefer a nickname, especially one which has a little more imagination that 'Smudge' or 'Buster'. But at least matelots use them; on board my current ship the Royals just add an 'SY' to the end of each other's names (Smitshy, Brownsy, Cobbsy, etc.)!

So on that note what's the most imaginative nickname anyone has come across? Hearing 'Chucker' Frisbey still brings a smile to my face...

Futher to the previous:
As I said before the wife and I have moved into a nice wee bungalow. She insisted on everything new. So, after a rather busy and expensive session in Comet/Curry's, all necessary items had been purchased. A few days later we decided to return as I wanted one of those wee Guinness fridges for my in-house bar, also a wee tranny (radio) for the kitchen.
When said items were picked, we toodled up to the cash desk to pay. The lady in question was of Arabic origin, and without really thinking, I spieled off the normal greetings employed in Saudi.
Pardon my spellings but the conversation went like this:

Me: Assalam Alah Kum - Peace and Blessings.
Her: Alikum Assalm - Same to you.
Me: Sabalcher - Goodmorning
Her: Sabalacher A-Noor - Goodmorning to you.
Me: Kefelchar - How are you?
Her: Hamdulalah Shukran - Fine, Thankyou.
Her:, and I might add with a big cheassy grin on her face, said where did you learn this to which I replied I work in Saudi

Enter a 20 something, skinny wee fanny of a SECURITY man/boy...emm are we having a problem here and what's your problem Sir. Well, as a rather broad accented Sweaty, I let rip, remembering off course not to swear and read this fanny his horoscope. He meekly backed down and slithered off to the front door. I apoligised and the girl apoligised and said that since moving from (I think Leb or Sudan) this was the first time that she had been addressed and spoken to in Arabic. by a white man. In my opinion it's Nice to be Nice.
On the way out yer man was carying out a serious inspection on the toes of his immaculately polished Doc's and I said to him loud enough for the girl to hear Oi matey Aben-El-Gaba, work that one out. The girl pissed herself laughing and gave me the thumbs up.

For info: the last expletive, involves doing someting completely illegal to yer Mammy. :twisted:

sgtpepperband said:
So on that note what's the most imaginative nickname anyone has come across? Hearing 'Chucker' Frisbey still brings a smile to my face...

I knew an OM(C) called 'Allied' Dunbar.

sgtpepperband said:

I know a broad Geordie communicator (whose accent gets broader under periods of stress) in the RNR who is known in the comms world as ZES2 (your message has been recived garbled).

A former comms rate turned medic, Dave Ives, whose 8s short name tape read DIves, was unsurprisingly known as "Muff".

My father served many years ago with a guy called "Sticks" Drummy.

Latest Threads