Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Nicknames terms of endearment or bullying?

During Manchesters first commision the captain decided it would be good to have a sons at sea week. This was duly done and about 15 sons of sailors spent a most enjoyable week onboard.
By the end of the week they nearly all had aquired nicknames, not from the crew but from each other. Jack Guntrips lad was suddenly gunners, my son was Littlewoo. all tis from youngsters whos ages ranged from 9 to 17.

Nutty said:
Whilst Plod in Souff Lunnun my admiring public annointed me with many nicknames some of which were:

Cnut, ******, Filth, ********, Fat Bastard, "I'll get you when I get out" was my favorite normally bestowed in the Court Cells after an appearance before a Judge.

Nutty

Clearly you were well loved by your victims, wel done.

Peter

Shakey said:
Always_a_Civvy said:
Mine at school was Hamlet...

Are you a Prince of Denmark?

Happiness is a cigar called Hamlet? (The mild cigar from Benson & Hedges.)

Not a Prince of Denmark (or Darkness) but I speak passable Danish.

One nickname I had at work from the colleague who bullied me was Captain Haddock (which I happen to like) and Halfwit (which I'm not so keen on). When I complained about the bullying eventually (after several years) to our Personnel Officer she said I was mentally ill for suggesting her friend was a bully. Our religious zealot has hinted that he thinks I'm Satan. so clearly I am a Deranged Satanic Captain Haddock, Halfwit Prince of Darkness... :lol:

slightly off the thread but--------------
an old kilick chef once told me that one of the members of THE SWEET (dont know which) was x mob. apparently the song BLOCKBUSTER is about when he was trapped in a veg locker by an amorous PO BROWN. he never let the truth get in the way of a nice dit !

Always_a_Civvy said:
Shakey said:
Always_a_Civvy said:

One nickname I had at work from the colleague who bullied me was Captain Haddock (which I happen to like) and Halfwit (which I'm not so keen on). When I complained about the bullying eventually (after several years) to our Personnel Officer she said I was mentally ill for suggesting her friend was a bully. Our religious zealot has hinted that he thinks I'm Satan. so clearly I am a Deranged Satanic Captain Haddock, Halfwit Prince of Darkness... :lol:
Not Freddie? I checked out your pic and it was very early mercury don't you think?

I was Ginge in the mob for most of my time except one chief who would only call me Chilly (surname Winter). When I left & worked in a factory they called me Pugwash, I was the only one with a nickname everyone else was called by thier first names.

chockhead819 said:
I was Ginge in the mob for most of my time except one chief who would only call me Chilly (surname Winter). When I left & worked in a factory they called me Pugwash, I was the only one with a nickname everyone else was called by thier first names.

I think you have got it in one with this, folks nowadays have far to thin skins and given half a chance will have a claim in for compensation, always egged on by the legal brigade.

Lingyai said:
Always_a_Civvy said:
Shakey said:
Always_a_Civvy said:

Not Freddie? I checked out your pic and it was very early mercury don't you think?

It depends which pic. The tashed? Freddie? The fungus faced Haddock or the Fat Gun Hugger?

see for yourself.

150_0000013641_0000015984.jpg

Capt Haddock.

andym said:
see for yourself.

150_0000013641_0000015984.jpg

Capt Haddock.

Oh, to be that slim! Yep, that's me, though the pipe would be filled with a tetley tea bag and the dark jacket would be replaced by a smart, sturdy, canvas straghtjacket! :lol:

An alternative name for me might be Captain Pillock (of the Heads)?

I am currently working for an Oil Company in Saudi. About four years ago we got another guy out here who kind of joined our little "Jock-Mafia". He has worked the North Sea for most of his life as is termed "Hairy-Arsed to the Extreme". On one of our first get-togethers he asked what our nicknames were. We all replied nothing in particular. He was quite amazed as in the North Sea no-one goes by their given time, it's always a nickname. Give me a few days he says. A few days later we were all emailed our new names. This has stuck, even the Saudis call us by nick-names. Mine's was, until a few nights aso "Buffalo-BILL. We were all having a "Sun-Downer" when I mentioned that due to my Son joining the Mob, the wife and I had downgraded (not in price mind you) to a nice wee bungalow on the other side of the villlage. I will give you one guess what my new nick-name is. 8)

On my last war canoe we had a black Jamaican dabber join us. Nice lad, typically laid-back Jamaican attitude to life, very friendly and well-liked bloke. Anyway, the day he joined he reported to the Ship's Office to get his joining routine and ask some questions (as you do). So the conversation goes something like this:

Me: Ok Junior, here's your joining routine. You need to get it stamped and back to me by the end of the week.
*Chief Writer's ears prick up*
Junior: Ok, can you tell me how much leave I have?
Me: Sure thing, Junior. 3 weeks. Anything else?
*Look of alarm appears on the Chief Writer's face*
Junior: No that's great. Back at the end of the week, no problem.
Me: Ok Junior. Any snags just give us a shout.

Young black sailor leaves. Chief Writer gets up, closes the door and says "For Christs' sake are you nuts? You can't go calling him "Junior" just because he's black!"
Me: But that's his name, Chief.
Chief: Oh. Right. Er... ok then.

Which just goes to show that in no small number of cases, the person taking offence these days isn't always the person recieving the nickname. Funny how many people get offended so easily on someone else's behalf.

"Which just goes to show that in no small number of cases, the person taking offence these days isn't always the person recieving the nickname. Funny how many people get offended so easily on someone else's behalf".

Now there's a topic of conversation to which I totally agree, to many nosey-people out there! 8)

Latest Threads