Nick names

Handler

War Hero
I once landed up with a pair of overalls that had the initials K E G on the back, belonged to a L/Air Ken Gammer-----so peeps started calling me Keg lol !!!

And why Blood Reid,
Brigham Young after the morman leader
With Daisy May , Dolly Gray,April Ashley,Marilyn Monroe etc no wonder we would get odd looks in a bar when ordering a round in the good old homophobic days of yore.

The ubiquitous " Jock" for any one north of the border,At the time I never understood why when Jocks said why call me Jock , my name is ... .....tis only after I settled in the land of Haggis that I realised that Jock is a derivative of John and now never call them such unless they qualify or Im pissed and the English have beaten them at some sport,( not so regular these days)

Always new Evens by 'Crash'. Don't know why but new a few. Then there was 'Nutty' Almond (obviously), and 'Ben' Casey - think he was an actor, 'Bud' Abbot - Lou Costello's mate, 'Red' Adair - the texas oil fire fighter, 'Darby' Alan - think he was a actor/singer, 'Peanuts' Carter ex president USA, 'Buster' Bailey - ??????, 'Berney' Bolt - golden shot TV game, 'Wiggy' or 'Gordon' Bennet -, 'Ben' Cartwright- Bonanza fame, 'Jon-Boy' Walton -goodnight yall, 'Bev' Dixon -???????, 'Donald' Duckworth - Quack, 'Duke' Earle - royalty, 'Jack' Frost -brrrrrr, 'Digger' Gardener, 'Jimmy' Green - ???????, 'Nobby' Hall - where the posh folks live, 'Doc' Holliday - OK Coral fame, 'Gabby' Hayes - black and white movie cowboy actor, 'Danny' Kay - after the singer, 'Tanzy' Lee - ?????, 'Tug' Owen - ??????, 'Ena' Sharples - corry actress, 'spanner' Spencer - ??????? but might have been spanner wa***r because he was, 'Sophy' Tucker - another actress, 'Topsy' Turner - ??????, 'Soapy' or 'Sudz' Watson - Sudz short for soapy but why soapy?, 'Bungy' Williams - ??????,

800 had a crab pilot, 'Ori' Ball - weren't that horrible really, 899 also had a DAEO of the same ilk but he was. 800 also had an AEO and DAEO, both at the same time by the name of Collins - they became Jackie and Joan. 899 also had an AEO about the time the series Roots was aired on TV his name was Kidner so he became 'Kunta' after the main character Kunta Kitna. Kunta was a bit harsh, he wasn't that bad.

My favorite 'Noz' (short for Nozmo) King - From the shortened sign 'No Smoking.

Well you can tell I didn't have much to do this afternoon

pingbosun

Lantern Swinger
Hi all.

Although you have covered quite a lot of names, they are mainly new names, all currently used and probably more relevant to the modern Navy instead of the old traditional names that "Jolly Jack Tar" has been called by for several hundred years.

Good thinking though, but the original name go way back past the 20th century even , but stick with what you are familiar with, as they will all answer to whatever you call them.

The Tot went, so why doesn't the original corruption of names.

regards pingbosun.

PS. I am copying them down as there are some bloody good ones there thanks for the lesson, to add to my original definition's, of nick names. Now all I need to learn, is the new badges and what all the letters mean for the new rates. I am really stumped with all the letters that everyone has now. :? :? :? :? :? :?

chun831

Midshipman
Two best mates on a T22 back in the 90s. One called MAPP and one called DYE.

'Treasure' and 'princess'

pingbosun

Lantern Swinger
terry_rice said:
KLNA-Cessna-Jockey said:
I used to have a boss called HUNT - Nickname WHATUK - he was a right twat !
Should have nicknamed him Isaac, more of a wardroom name, don't you agree mate ?
G'day Terry.

Now that was a classic mate, that one is worth a sipper!!

Come round tommorrow lol

pingbosun.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Charity Commission appoints Nick Baker as new Chief Operating Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has appointed Nick de Bois as Chair of the Visit England Advisory Board. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chief of the Defence Staff, General Sir Nick Carter's annual RUSI speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS International GCSEs: letter from Nick Gibb MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Nick Goodwin appointed as Public Guardian MoD News 0
Dusty70 Commodore Nick Cooke-Priest The Quarterdeck 10
MoD_RSS News story: Nick Hoffman Reappointed as Trustee for the V&A MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: General Sir Nick Carter appointed new Chief of the Defence Staff MoD News 1
soleil BBC: "Sir Nick Houghton Appointed New Defence Chief" Current Affairs 0
Guzzler Nick nick nicked Diamond Lil's 14
Seaweed Nick Richardson - "No Escape Zone" The Book Club 0
W Nick Goodhart The Fleet Air Arm 0
finknottle Nick Clegg's 'illegal' Iraq war gaffe prompts legal warning Current Affairs 6
sgtpepperband "Daily Mail-o-Matic" (Nick Clegg Special) Diamond Lil's 3
oberon Nick Griffin lied, we are totally violent, insist the Ku Klu Diamond Lil's 1
Gombear Who is Nick Clegg Current Affairs 13
T Just for Nooby Nick..... and Rod! Diamond Lil's 9
Seaweed 'Beyond Endurance' by Nick Barker (Leo Cooper 1997) History 0
Pete_N No Nukes for Nick Clegg Current Affairs 6
S Just in the nick of time... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
N Nick Carter exHMS/m Sidon Departd on his Final Patrol Submariners 20
MoD_RSS Update on Company Names Tribunal services MoD News 0
MoD_RSS LLWR names its first Menopause Champion MoD News 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp WARSHIPS NAMES History 2
WreckerL Comedy Rates and Names Diamond Lil's 37
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary names new warship HMS Cardiff on St David's Day MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary names new warship HMS Belfast in Northern Ireland MoD News 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Submarine Names & Numbers Submariners 0
MoD_RSS News story: Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal names new jetty for Navy’s giant aircraft... MoD News 0
Ninja_Stoker Her Majesty the Queen names HMS Queen Elizabeth Current Affairs 121
R Rude Street Names Diamond Lil's 38
F Type 26 Names. What do you fancy? The Quarterdeck 62
Ships_Cat Taking store names literally.... Diamond Lil's 10
S NAS names The Fleet Air Arm 22
sgtpepperband Drinks with Names Diamond Lil's 3
O Names of new Type 26 confirmed The Gash Barge 38
trelawney126 Havant to change names...Suggestions Diamond Lil's 17
janner Names Miscellaneous 0
Topstop Names of the fallen Current Affairs 2
C The names of U.K and overseas naval bases Bases / Shore Est 3
soleil Navy News: "Big Names For Daring In The Big Apple" The Fleet 0
sgtpepperband Pompey News: "How Could Navy Heroes' Names Be Left To Fade?" Current Affairs 10
Joint_Force_Harrier Bar Names Diamond Lil's 38
soleil Mail: "The Craftsman who chisels Fallen Soldiers' Names" Current Affairs 6
S Road Names In Barracks Diamond Lil's 14
Stirling User names Diamond Lil's 73
rod-gearing Pet names for every day objects Diamond Lil's 7
Rodgersthecabinboy Pub quiz team names Diamond Lil's 19
D unit names The Corps 10
pinkprincess The origins of 'Navy names' Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33