Nick Clegg's 'illegal' Iraq war gaffe prompts legal warning

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by finknottle, Jul 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Nick Clegg was tonight forced to clarify his position on the Iraq war after he stood up at the dispatch box of the House of Commons and pronounced the invasion illegal.

The deputy prime minister insisted he was speaking in a personal capacity, as a leading international lawyer warned that the statement by a government minister in such a formal setting could increase the chances of charges against Britain in international courts.

Full story and video here:

It's the opinion of a great many that he is correct, however to stand at the dispatch box and make such a statement is lunacy. I would say after watching PMQs twice that Jack Straw was all over him like a rash and poor old Cleggie completely lost the plot. Not a good week for our new leaders, one horrendous gaffe each and I look forward to more of the same as I find it all very entertaining.

Having said that I would be delighted to see Blair in court charged with war crimes.

2. Of course if there was a credible international legal challenge against UK it would pale into insignificance in comparison to the challenge that would HAVE to be made against the US as well. Almost worth the international humiliation to see the smug grin taken off Uncle Sam's face as they tried to fight their way out of the corner. If UK is guilty USA shares culpability - and don't forget, UK is the junior partner!

3. Oh yes please.

4. Re: Nick Clegg's 'illegal' Iraq war gaffe prompts legal warn

This lot of young thrusters seem to have been born with both silver spoons and shovels :lol:
    Or, to their credit, extreme honesty :roll:

5. Re: Nick Clegg's 'illegal' Iraq war gaffe prompts legal warn

'It's the opinion of a great many that he is correct, however to stand at the dispatch box and make such a statement is lunacy. I would say after watching PMQs twice that Jack Straw was all over him like a rash and poor old Cleggie completely lost the plot. Not a good week for our new leaders, one horrendous gaffe each and I look forward to more of the same as I find it all very entertaining'.

Does this mean that we Brits will actually say what we mean? The dawn of a new era?
    Perhaps better than when government was an old boys club and they all went to Eton......Errrr! 'ang on a moment. :wink:

6. I'd rather have a cabinet that said what they meant, and stood by their principals, rather than toe the "Special Relationship" line. However, what with Dave saying we were the junior partner during the war, I feel the toadying has already started.. but that's another thread.

7. On the contrary I think that would marry in nicely with this discussion and yes it does appear the Cameron has started his kowtowing on our behalf at the first opportunity.