NHS nurse who had brain surgery is to fight piracy

Portsmouth News 7 Apr 2011 said:
FIVE years ago, NHS nurse Kathryn Pink’s life was turned upside down when she suffered two strokes and had to have brain surgery. But the 38-year-old naval reservist has overcome all the odds to take on Somali pirates with the Royal Navy. Kathryn, who is a part-time sailor with the Portsmouth reserve unit, HMS King Alfred, will leave Queen Alexandra Hospital in May and go to Djibouti to help supply the counter-piracy mission in the Gulf of Aden for six months...

‘The driving force behind my recovery has been the NHS job and being in the reserves.’

Kathryn, who lives in Havant, has served in the logistics branch of the naval reserves since 1999 and has medals for supporting troops in Afghanistan and Iraq...

Kathryn was a medic in the regular navy until she left and joined the NHS in 1995... She said: ‘When I left the navy, I was married to a reservist and he was coming back from all these faraway places with so many stories. ‘He was having so much fun and I was working nights as a nurse. I didn’t really feel like I was having a life outside of work so I joined the reserves and I’ve never looked back.

Her boss at QA Hospital, Julia Lake, said: ‘We’re all very proud of Kathryn. She’s an incredible person.’
Great story and a great girl. More power to her elbow.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Shakey The Quarterdeck 6
Shakey Diamond Lil's 3
Shakey Diamond Lil's 1