NHS Number

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by nikki92, Jun 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey all, had a quick search but couldn’t find anything on this, so here goes...

So, on the application form, you need to write down your NHS number, right? Well, I have discovered that there are a certain amount of boxes [I think 8], so space for an 8-digit number; but my NHS number [and my dad's and, I assume, everyone’s] has one extra digit. So, am I being phenomenally dense, looking at the wrong number, or have I missed something here?
    And whilst on the subject of stupid questions, r.e. body piercing, I only have my ears pierced, does that count? Sometimes these things do, sometimes they don't, and I confuse easy...plus I used to have lip and nose piercings, which I then took out, so I take it I don’t need to say I have body piercing?

Thanks all!

2. There might be a number at the beginning followed by a hyphen so i guess you might want to leave that number out if its the case. If not then i suggest ringing your G.P and speaking to them about it!!

3. Your NHS number is located on your birth certificate. There was 8 boxes on the application form but mine only had 7. Remember it is just a number so there will be variations in length i presume:D

WATP
    Jonny

4. google is your friend

5. Thanks for the reply!
    No hyphens that I can see, just 000 000 0000 [well, with actual numbers....]
    My Dad's is in the same format, so I'm wondering if it's just that they've been changed recently, but the form hasn't? Or it's a different sort of number they're needing?
    No matter, I'll ring my GP tomorrow. Thanks!

6. Nikki

The dense person is the one who drew up the application form - that bit of it was put together incorrectly.

Squeeze all nine digits into the 8 boxes ie put two of the digits into one box.

7. OK, thank you!
    I suppose if it is wrong, at least they’ve still got all the information needed, and can always be amended. Has anyone else had this problem with NHS Numbers? [Assuming that the application form is exactly the same across the board?]

Oh, and Soleil, any ideas on the body piercing thing? I know, way too many bone questions here, sorry!

8. Re the piercings, you are just asked whether you understand the RN's rules on body piercings.

NB You are allowed one stud in each ear when it comes to earrings.

9. Great, thanks again Soleil!

And, sorry to dissapoint, X.R.D, it's only the ears now - and there was only ever a couple in the lip and nose to start with. You'll have to find another young girl for material tonight.

10. Mine is just a strieght 10 numbers as well .
    ithink if you surf the NHS site you will be able to find your number .But come to think you Will get it from your doctors i did when i got my european health card for my hols

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

In order to be given a service number & thus join the service, the applicant must supply the newer 10-digit (purely numerical) NHS Number.

The older, letters & number NHS Number cannot be accepted. Those who do not have the new all-digit number should get in touch with their GP practice manager to obtain the new number prior to submitting their application form, or supply the new number at the earliest opportunity if the application is underway.

12. Thankyou Ninja_Stoker, very much appreciated! So I do as Soleil says, and squeeze 2 digits into the last box, thus giving the whole 10 numbers?

13. My number has got 5 letters and 3 numbers to it, that's what is down on my paperwork and i haven't been told that's there is a problem about it. I'm due to start at Raleigh so is it important that i get it changed?

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If your AFCO hasn't requested the newer number then your service number may already have been allocated, so there's no problem.

15. Okay, cheers. best get it sorted PDQ. It's the first I've heard of it though. There must be quite a lot of people then who have the same problem and not be aware of it