Next week....

Discussion in 'RFA' started by JamieDonut87, Apr 19, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have my BSSC, first aid and firefighting on Whale Island. Apart from the discharge book, Eng1, clothes for the week and my pcs, can anyone tell me if there anything else I need to take along with me?
  2. A large tin of Swarfega
    Nothing else removes the smoky oily residue that is left on your skin after firefighting
  3. No oil now Slim, all gas powered. Clean as a whistle when you get out of the rig.
  4. It says in the instructions to bring a swimsuit, though you will be wearing a boiler suit over it.

You know what, just read the instructional letter like the other umpteen-thousand people that managed to do BSSC without asking what to bring.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Whoever heard of a gas fired fire out of control on one of HM war canoes?
  6. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I believe they now wear dry suits in the DRIU.
  7. Possibly for the old folk in the RFA; not so much RN.
  8. You know what, I asked because the joining letter for coming to Raleigh missed out a few key items I had to buy, so I thought the letter for the BSSC may be the same. It may not, hence why I asked.
  9. A sense of humour, definitely a sense of humour!
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Perhaps you could enlighten those joining next month as to what Raleigh neglected to tell you to take.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Har.
  12. I'm starting a BSSC course 9th May and have had very little in the way of information/instruction yet. Still, I've done all the STCW courses before so have a fair idea of what to expect.
  13. Basically you are going to get pissed wet through all week, trying to remember what the difference is between BSSC and ISSC (sure u only do 2 days fire fighting on BSSC).

So pack enough nicks (negative flip flops) and shower gear for the week. Don't forget your gas mask as you'll get binned off course.

Unless they have gone soft since I left 2 years ago, you don't get dry suits. If its a tad chilly you get the option of wearing once only suits with the bottoms cut off in the DRIU, utterly pointless. Mind you on a BSSC do they actually use any bloody water???? Maybe a teacup full.

Not sure if they spoon feed you guys in the RFA but I have never had a kit list for a course in the RN!
  14. .....and stay that way for 30 odd years :confused:
    • Like Like x 1
  15. I'm more after information about what I need to bring. As a new entrant I am just assuming that the gear just gets supplied? i.e. any uniform, PPE etc.

Still, assumptions are no good so I'll be making a phone call tomorrow for clarification...
  16. Jesus H.

For every course (and for that matter ship) you get appointed too you'll get a letter or E-mail. (Normally letter for ships, E-mail for a course). It's very much the same format of the letter telling you got with all the information about your start of training at Raleigh or wherever.

Read that letter, if you've not gotten any official statement telling you to join a course then something is wrong.

If this is the stuff my appointer has to deal with I'm starting to sympathise.
    • Like Like x 3
  17. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Christ on a ******* bike. Do you want 1SL to ring you up personally and reassure you on what to take before tucking you into bed with your 'special pants' on in case you have an accident?

Its a basic as it comes course - just turn up with what is on the list and stop acting like a pampered primadonna princess over your 'need to know' lots of nugatory information. Tens if not hundreds of thousands of people have managed this course without having a near melt down on the internet. Just get on and do it.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  18. Looks like you're the ones having a meltdown. Blimey.
  19. I did ISSC at Phoenix in November and they put us in serviceable once only suits for the DRIU. I wouldn't have called it particularly cold either.

Often overlooked on the joining letter: For BSSC you'll need to bring your number ones, your own bedding, two sets of swimming gear, a swimming cap and a hi viz surcoat.
  20. And a packed lunch.