Next intake?

Discussion in 'RFA' started by C.Morgan, May 2, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone.

I was just curious if anyone knows when the next intake for either assistant steward or deck rating is?

For the assistant steward job do they look primarily for people who have catering/hospitality experience?

For deck rating do they look for folk that have previous experience in a manual labour type job?

Also I read some where that if you have not been a resident in the U.K for the past five year's you are not eligible for recruitment. I am asking this because in 2012 I lived and worked in Holland for five months. I have held a U.K passport for at least 25 years. Should I be ok with the recruitment or am I dead in the water?

Thank's

Best regard's
    C.Morgan.

2. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

3. I've just spent the last 8 months in oz and join in September so you should be ok. As ex Jenny said best to check with your local careers office though

4. Ahh congratulations trimmytrish. What did you get in as?

5. Don't ask your local careers office for anything about the RFA.

Just speak to RFA recruitment office directly.

6. Apologies jut realised this is for rfa. I'm going in as a hydrography/met rating in the fleet. Can't wait now!!

7. I spoke to recruitment last week and they said they "hope" to start recruiting for motorman, steward and deck rating "soon."

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hmmn, hope & soon are words parents use with expectant kids. Vague enough not to dash your hopes, but better than no 'hope' and 'never', s'pose. ;-P

9. You're right Ninja, they are always vague in Recruitment. On the one hand they always say they never know in advance when recruitment for particular roles will begin, but on the other I was last told that they usually know about a week before. I suppose it depends on who you speak to.
    I was advised that by filling out the online form of interest, that someone would contact me whether a role was available or not but when I phoned Recruitment last week, that person said they had not heard of that.

10. Ninja_Stoker

So far as I'm aware, the website phone number (08456 04 05 20) is manned by a call centre in Northampton, so they will give generic careers advice but will not be able to answer specifics. They will take and record your basic contact details and send you information through careers publications. Ideally when you call them, you should indicate your area of interest so that it is recorded on their system. It is not an application, it is an expression of interest.

The RFA Recruiters, who are the subject matter experts, are based in Portsmouth - They run a shortlist - you can give them your contact details (Preferred job, Name, Address, Mobile, home phone, email) direct by email and they will contact you once recruiting for that branch is underway: [email protected]

The RFA Recruiters can be contacted direct, BUT the information is regularly updated on the RN Website, so don't ring them to ask if a branch is open -it'll be on the RN website stating which branches are recruiting, for example:

Royal Fleet Auxiliary | Royal Navy

RFA Recruiting in Portsmouth can be contacted on 02392 725 371

• Like Like x 1
  11. I sent an email off to the recruiters asking to be informed when either steward and/or deck rating become available and if they would send me an application form along with it.

12. Thanks Ninja, I think I'll drop them an email.

13. Ninja_Stoker

According to the RFA webpage, latest vacancies as follows:

14. Does anyone know if this is correct though? It conflicts with my last conversation with those at the end of the 08 number. The "How To Join The RFA" link only states the Cook role for trainees and has a closing date of 21 MARCH!
    Thanks to Ninja though, as per the info in a previous post on this thread, I have contacted recruitment direct and should receive an application pack when the role I'm interested in becomes available. Unless of course, all applications have to be completed online in which case, I'm hoping recruitment will advise when this should be done.

15. exJenny

The seaman grade 2 role is a trainee deck rating. A qualified SG2 is known as a SG1B. Not sure which they are after at present so anyone with aspirations to join our band of merry men and women should call recruitment.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex-wren. Don't blame me if it all goes tits up.

16. exJenny

We were lead to believe you become SG1B on passing EDH exam.

• Like Like x 1
  17. exJenny

I'm just glad the time has dropped from 12 months to 6.

18. exJenny

It's 6 months seatime to go for EDH.

19. exJenny

But we get a pay rise after 1 year anyway.

20. exJenny

Happy with that.