Newspapers: Accuracy and Sensationalism.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Passed-over_Loggie, May 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. At least 2 of our worthy national newspapers are making an outraged fuss about yer man Blare's farewell education, education, education tour last Monday. Both the Express (page 5 http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/7061 ) and the Mirror (page 7 http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/tm_method=full&objectid=19105097&siteid=89520-name_page.html ) push the point that transport was provided by a Navy Seaking and estimate the cost to the Taxpayer as £50K.

Now I'm probably the last person on the planet to defend the detestable bugger but I would suggest that using the straight wet capitation rate for the machine is not clever. The aircrew would probably fly those hours anyway doing routine continuation training. What really amused/irritated me, not sure which, was that the Mirror photograph clearly shows him abeam a Merlin. Is accuracy optional these days?

2. As Slim so rightly says never let the truth get in the way of a good story. Both of those papers will say anything to support their agenda, always have done and I suspect always will.

3. As much as I despise the twat, he is the Prime liar sorry, minister, and should be able to use the Armed forces transport as required when on the States buisness. Every other PM has, of whatever persuasion.
    RoofRat

4. A few weeks ago one of the tabloids said "Mr Bean" was a Navigator , sorry for bringing that name back to these pages , but they are very rarely accurate are they , :cry: .

5. I would like to visit my mom who also lives in the North east of England. as the RN seem to are able to combine flying training with passenger carrying I would like my name to be added to the RN frequent flier program

6. I am sure they will be delighted to let you sign up, mind you I suspect that the like of you and me would need to do another 22 to qualify to get a railway warrant, never mind a real flight.

7. You say states business I say self aggrandisement.

Who paid for his private jet on his constituency business the other day too?

8. Apparantly not P-O-L? :(

Accuracy? I'm sure a few thousand children in Iraq will know what I mean....? :(

Are those helicoptors recyceable? I only ask because the carbon emmisions in the next 7 weeks will be incredible!!