News story: Professor Robin Grimes appointed as Foreign Office Chief Scientific Advis

Discussion in 'MoD News' started by MoD_RSS, Feb 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. All very nice, but is this chaps relevance to us of any importance. Is he going to design the next nuclear reactors for the submarine fleet on the back of a packet of 20 woodbines, or better still work out a way to safely dispose of nuclear spent materials.
    Why is this of interest to us if he works for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.(FCO) Standing by to be corrected.

3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

MoD_RSS spam.

4. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

The FCO has rather a lot to do with the RN. The professor's terms of reference at the FCO, according to the article appear to touch upon stuff that may require a naval input at some point.

I suspect that the MoD's 'spam' is actually well intentioned. A way to further the education and awareness across the spectrum of Defence and Foreign Policy blah blah of the naval community, including the yet to join, the long gone uckers kings and the JSCSC thrusters. Make warrior/scholars of us all.

Good luck with that.

5. “I am thrilled to have been given the opportunity to work with the FCO, helping to put science and technology at the heart of foreign policy. I see real potential for the FCO to expand the use of its science and innovation capability at home and overseas and will be at the forefront of this effort as the new Chief Scientific Adviser.”

Okay- so why can't this chap design this countries next generation of nuclear reactors instead of farming it out to China? - or is the above statement an indication that he is going to be the liaison officer for their commissioning

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013