News story: Home Secretary statement following Paris attacks

FAAFLYNAVY

Lantern Swinger
Having armed personnel on the streets not only increase tensions, raises fear and is unsustainable, but it also dramatically changes our way of life.

That would mean they're winning. They're not.

Armed personnel roaming the streets would not have stopped Lee Rigby's murder.

That's a matter of opinion, those two were on the security services radar for years, but they were allowed to preach racial hatred every weekend on the high street & nothing was done for fear of upsetting the the Somalian immigrants who populate the area.

They should have been quietly "slotted" as a warning to the other fanatics who still roam the area & still preach racial hatred.

Using airports, ferries & being in London on a regular basis I'm more then happy to see/support armed police/military on the streets.

STRIKE FIRST & REPENT AT LEISURE.

Just of course a personal view.

K640

War Hero
That's a matter of opinion, those two were on the security services radar for years, but they were allowed to preach racial hatred every weekend on the high street & nothing was done for fear of upsetting the the Somalian immigrants who populate the area.

They should have been quietly "slotted" as a warning to the other fanatics who still roam the area & still preach racial hatred.

Using airports, ferries & being in London on a regular basis I'm more then happy to see/support armed police/military on the streets.

You're right of course, extra judicial executions are the way forward. Whilst we're at it I suggest we slot all poor people, rich people, homeless people and anyone that smells a bit funny.

G

guestm

If they were quietly 'slotted', how would anyone know and how would it be a warning? Should we then 'slot' (Seriously, that word. Stop reading Mcnabb books) NF / BNP / EDL members for preaching their racial hatred too? No. You could have 3 million personnel working for MI5 and 3 million soldiers on the streets. You won't stop every attack.

Executions and guns roaming the streets. I'm glad your idea of a solution is so far removed from the ideology of those you seek to destroy. It's telling that irony is lost on you.

With that train of thought, you're closer to them than you realise. The only difference is your agenda.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
What, like Woolwich?

I don't for one moment believe there was specific intelligence that would have led to that exact location. Having been in MoD that week there were warnings of an increased chance of a terrorist incident in the wider London location - given the number of regular, reserve and broader Government locations I don't see how without pin point intelligence we'd have put people in the right places to prevent that horrible incident occurring.

FAAFLYNAVY

Lantern Swinger
I still maintain that there was enough intelligence to give a good indication that something was about to go down in a location that had a large military presence & the security services ignored it to avoid upsetting the local immigrant population.

Political posturing at its best.

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Like many of these things, with hindsight there are many actions that could have been taken.

Sometimes the security services get over-zealous and it goes horribly wrong, as the family of Jean Charles de Menezes would attest.

G

guestm

I still maintain that there was enough intelligence to give a good indication that something was about to go down in a location that had a large military presence &the security services ignored it to avoid upsetting the local immigrant population. Political posturing at its best.

You don't know that there was enough intelligence for that to happen in that exact place at that exact time. Unless you've spent considerable time in Thames House and have da scoopz...

If they were quietly 'slotted', how would anyone know and how would it be a warning? Should we then 'slot' (Seriously, that word. Stop reading Mcnabb books) NF / BNP / EDL members for preaching their racial hatred too? No. You could have 3 million personnel working for MI5 and 3 million soldiers on the streets. You won't stop every attack.

Executions and guns roaming the streets. I'm glad your idea of a solution is so far removed from the ideology of those you seek to destroy. It's telling that irony is lost on you.

With that train of thought, you're closer to them than you realise. The only difference is your agenda.
Having armed personnel on the streets not only increase tensions, raises fear and is unsustainable, but it also dramatically changes our way of life.

That would mean they're winning. They're not.

Armed personnel roaming the streets would not have stopped Lee Rigby's murder.

That's a sillly response, it most definitely would have stopped an attack so close. The attack may have still happened but unless Lee was extremely unfortunate then I imagine it would have been someone else further afield.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Not so long ago there were severe reservations voiced when the British Police were armed with anything more than a truncheon.

Some members of society threw hissy fits when tazers were introduced.

I tend to think an increased visible armed prescence on the streets increases hysteria but accept it can also help increase vigilance and awareness. The French Police have been visibly armed for many, many years. It made no actual difference but I do think we need to put things in perspective - a single armed lunatic achieved a comparable amount of carnage in Hungerford in 1986 because he had acess to firearms. He didn't go to a training camp, wasn't radicalised and acted without accomplices.

In the US, there are sadly lone wolf shooting rampages every year that are not conducted by religious fanatics acting in co-ordinated unison. The growing gruesome death toll investigations in the aftermath consistently side-step the elephant in the room - access to arms.

Ballistic

War Hero

Seriously? :(
That's the sort of country you want to live in?