News story: Home Secretary statement following Paris attacks

Discussion in 'MoD News' started by MoD_RSS, Jan 8, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Home Secretary Theresa May said:

The cowardly attacks that took place in Paris yesterday have shocked and sickened people in the United Kingdom and around the world. And they are a reminder of the very serious threat we face from terrorism.

In deliberately targeting and murdering journalists, the terrorists were attacking freedom and democracy. And in murdering police officers, they attacked the people who risk their own safety every day to protect us and our way of life.

Yesterday, the Prime Minister spoke to President Hollande, and British officials are in close contact with their French counterparts. We have offered France every assistance necessary, including the full cooperation of our police and Security and Intelligence Agencies.

Following the attacks, we took the precautionary step yesterday of increasing security at the French/UK border. The UK threat level – which is set by the independent Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre, JTAC – remains at SEVERE. That means that a terrorist attack is ‘highly likely’ and the public should remain vigilant. And this morning I chaired COBRA to consider Britain’s response to the attacks and our own preparedness for a similar attack.

People from all faiths and walks of life have expressed their disgust at the events that took place in Paris. I want to reiterate our commitment to standing with the French people against terror. The thoughts and prayers of all of us are with the families, friends and colleagues of the victims.

Continue reading...
  2. Cobra has met, Theresa May & "Dave" say we've got all the bases covered, so why aren't I seeing uniformed armed troops on the streets like in Paris?
  3. Because we haven't declared Martial law?
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Possibly because no-one's killed any journalists or policemen like in Paris.
  5. Neither has France to my knowledge?
  6. Well that is three of the bastards sorted.
    To finish the job their bodies should be chopped up and fed to the pigs.
    In death they will then remain what they were in life, just shit, don't suppose that they will then be able to get into heaven and claim their virgins
  7. We didn't have a manhunt for three armed nutters either.

Pragmatism, not your forte?
  8. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

I'm not sure it's warranted, plus the reality is we simply don't have sufficient people. FR have a very interesting concept of military troops being based near urban centres (regular, reserves etc) and they often assist the local populace in time of need. One very interesting side effect of that is how the FR populace support their troops, as opposed to how we tend to make an effort to get support.

Anyway - theoretically its all intelligence led so we'll put people where we sense the greatest risk is.
  9. What, like Woolwich?
  10. No we didn't, we have a problem with hundreds of these fanatical idiots, but nothing will happen until we have another 7/7.
  11. Having armed personnel on the streets not only increase tensions, raises fear and is unsustainable, but it also dramatically changes our way of life.

That would mean they're winning. They're not.

Armed personnel roaming the streets would not have stopped Lee Rigby's murder.
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's interesting that three people with automatic weapons can strike fear & give rise to demands for hysterical reactions in a neighbouring country with a population of 70 million, let alone France, with a population of 66 million.

What ratio of numerical superiority and weaponry would better illustrate they aren't going to win?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. That's a matter of opinion, those two were on the security services radar for years, but they were allowed to preach racial hatred every weekend on the high street & nothing was done for fear of upsetting the the Somalian immigrants who populate the area.

They should have been quietly "slotted" as a warning to the other fanatics who still roam the area & still preach racial hatred.

Using airports, ferries & being in London on a regular basis I'm more then happy to see/support armed police/military on the streets.

Just of course a personal view.
  14. You're right of course, extra judicial executions are the way forward. Whilst we're at it I suggest we slot all poor people, rich people, homeless people and anyone that smells a bit funny.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. If they were quietly 'slotted', how would anyone know and how would it be a warning? Should we then 'slot' (Seriously, that word. Stop reading Mcnabb books) NF / BNP / EDL members for preaching their racial hatred too? No. You could have 3 million personnel working for MI5 and 3 million soldiers on the streets. You won't stop every attack.

Executions and guns roaming the streets. I'm glad your idea of a solution is so far removed from the ideology of those you seek to destroy. It's telling that irony is lost on you.

With that train of thought, you're closer to them than you realise. The only difference is your agenda.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

I've asked the same question of those droppers of the lexicon of MacNab who propose the same solution to the problem of Somali pirates because it's "what we used to do." No we didn't.
  17. Ninja_Stoker

You'll be saying Captain Jack Sparrow was fiction, next.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

I don't for one moment believe there was specific intelligence that would have led to that exact location. Having been in MoD that week there were warnings of an increased chance of a terrorist incident in the wider London location - given the number of regular, reserve and broader Government locations I don't see how without pin point intelligence we'd have put people in the right places to prevent that horrible incident occurring.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. I still maintain that there was enough intelligence to give a good indication that something was about to go down in a location that had a large military presence & the security services ignored it to avoid upsetting the local immigrant population.

Political posturing at its best.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  20. Ninja_Stoker

Like many of these things, with hindsight there are many actions that could have been taken.

Sometimes the security services get over-zealous and it goes horribly wrong, as the family of Jean Charles de Menezes would attest.