Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News story: Awards for Royal Navy mine countermeasures squadron

MoD_RSS

War Hero
Ministry of Defence said:
Commander Andy Lamb received his OBE for ‘the delivery of operational effect and the contingent readiness of an important UK facility overseas at a time of considerable regional tension’.
[h=3]Royal Navy mine countermeasures operations overseas[/h]For the past 6 years the Royal Navy has maintained a continuous minehunting presence overseas. HMS Ramsey and her sister ship HMS Blyth were the first vessels to commence this enduring activity from 21 December 2006.
Routinely ships spend 3 years on station, with the crews changing over every 6 months. At the end of the 3-year period, the ships swap with others of the same class and then sail home.

Royal Navy mine countermeasures personnel at work on board Sandown Class vessel HMS Shoreham (stock image) [Picture: Leading Airman (Photographer) Kaz Williams, Crown copyright]When operating overseas, the minehunters are co-ordinated and operations managed by the UK Mine Countermeasures Force using a Royal Fleet Auxiliary vessel as command ship.
It was for his work with the Mine Countermeasures Force that Commander Lamb picked up his award.
Speaking of the honour, Commander Lamb said:
I am thrilled and humbled to receive the award of an OBE. It follows a very busy period in the Middle East and extends to all the excellent people I worked alongside during my time as Commander of the UK’s Mine Countermeasures Force.
The sailors and families endured a great deal of professional and personal hardships during the deployment and it was a privilege to be amongst them all; I am extremely grateful for their support and in particular to the families at home.
[h=3]More awards for Clyde’s minehunting community[/h]Separately, the Royal Navy fleet command recognised the First Mine Countermeasures Squadron (MCM1) maritime warfare battle staff with a trophy for their outstanding work during 2012. HMS Blyth also received an effectiveness trophy in communications, making it a double honour for the Clyde-based minehunting community.

Admiral Sir Mark Stanhope presents Commander Andy Lamb with the Surface Flotilla Efficiency Pennant at Her Majesty's Naval Base Clyde [Picture: Crown copyright]On 22 March 2013, outgoing First Sea Lord Admiral Sir Mark Stanhope presented both MCM1 and HMS Blyth’s communications department with their awards during his farewell visit to HM Naval Base Clyde.
The prestigious awards are given to the best units in the fleet and means that both MCM1 and HMS Blyth now have the right to fly the Surface Flotilla Efficiency Pennant.
[h=3]Commander Andy Lamb OBE[/h]

Commander Andy Lamb OBE [Picture: Crown copyright]Born in Aberdeen in 1971, Andy Lamb was commissioned as a Warfare Officer in 1989. His early career saw extensive sea service in a variety of surface ships, from a Ton Class minesweeper to the aircraft carrier HMS Illustrious.
He has been engaged in a broad range of maritime security operations in Hong Kong, the Adriatic, the Middle and Far East, Australasia, the Mediterranean and in UK fisheries protection. During this period he was selected to command the patrol boat HMS Trumpeter in Gibraltar, assisting with force protection of vessels transiting the Strait of Gibraltar following the terrorist attacks in September 2001.
He went on to command 3 Sandown Class mine countermeasures vessels - HMS Ramsey, HMS Pembroke and HMS Shoreham, operating in home waters and overseas.
In 2006, Commander Lamb was seconded to 3 Commando Brigade Royal Marines for deployment to Afghanistan. Based in Lashkar Gah, he was awarded a Commander-in-Chief Fleet commendation for his service. He took command of MCM1 in November 2011.

More...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS News story: Regulatory Excellence Awards finalists announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Planning Inspectorate achieves Silver at Mind’s Workplace Wellbeing Awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: NCGI success at the GSE Geography in Government Awards 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Government awards £25 million to fund zero-emission transport innovations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: HM Land Registry wins IT industry awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Nuclear businesses recognised in Queen’s Awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Regulatory Excellence Awards expand to include product safety MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: The race is on! Showcase your success stories at the National Apprenticeship Awards 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Queen’s Awards success for businesses backed by Innovate UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Home Office awards additional £346,000 to fight hate crime MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: 2019 Clinical Excellence Awards round closed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Operational Honours and Awards List: April 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Second consecutive Gold in national awards for LLWR Site team MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Companies House named Employer of the Year at Wales HR Awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: HMRC awards new logistics contract to support customs compliance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: 2019 Clinical Excellence Awards round opens MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Regulatory Excellence Awards expand to include product safety MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Applying for the 2019 Clinical Excellence Awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Dstl’s life saving work awarded at The Sun Military Awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: The Sun Military Awards 2018 reward armed forces heroes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: HMPPS Staff Awards - nominate an unsung hero MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK Hydrographic Office is Highly Commended at 2018 National Apprenticeship Awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Apprenticeship stars take centre stage at National Apprenticeship Awards 2018 ceremony MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Operational Honours and Awards list November 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Dstl wins against commercial teams in Institution of Engineering and Technology Awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: MOD awards £160m contract to prepare RAF Lakenheath for US F-35s MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Companies House shortlisted at UK Civil Service Awards 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Sellafield engineers shine at global awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Awards recognise winning nuclear suppliers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Commander JFC awards outstanding individuals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Operational Honours and Awards List May 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Augmented Intelligence Infinity Awards: call for entries MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: The Sun Military Awards are back to salute the Armed Forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: HRH The Prince of Wales awards MOD Apprentice of the Year 2017 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Ministry of Defence awards celebrate commitment to the environment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: DIO awards contract for new jetty at HMNB Devonport Oil Fuel Depot MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: CT Policing supports new awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Operational Honours and Awards List September 2017 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: DIO awards overseas consultancy framework contract MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: The Sun Military Awards 2017 open for nominations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Operational Honours and Awards List: 21 April 2017 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Minister launches new Army apprentice awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: MOD awards £46M to start Challenger 2 Tank life extension project competition MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: British Armed Forces honoured at The Sun Military Awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: MOD awards £100m contract to deliver missile system for Royal Navy’s new Global... MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: The Sun Military Awards open for nominations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary awards new medal to 46 troops. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Operational Honours and Awards List: 18 March 2016 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Armed Forces honoured at The Sun Military Awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: The Sun Military Awards return to highlight British heroes MoD News 0