News story: Admiral Zambellas new First Sea Lord

Ministry of Defence said:
Admiral Stanhope stepped down as the professional head of the Royal Navy after a career spanning 43 years.
The handover ceremony was conducted onboard the First Sea Lord’s Flagship, HMS Victory, where the official handover was marked by the signing of the Victory Book and the raising and lowering of Admiral Stanhope’s and Admiral Zambellas’s flags.
This is the first time Victory has hosted the ceremony – until last year the veteran of Trafalgar was the flagship of the Second Sea Lord.
Surrounded by what Admiral Stanhope called his “maritime family” – his own family, the heads of the French and US navies and the Royal Navy’s 3 most senior officers – Britain’s outgoing ranking sailor sat at Nelson’s table in the great cabin of his flagship and formally handed over command to Admiral Zambellas.
The last act of Admiral Stanhope’s naval career took place on Victory’s cold, damp quarterdeck.

Admiral Stanhope and Admiral Zambellas salute as the First Sea Lord's flags are lowered on board HMS Victory [Picture: Leading Airman (Photographer) Keith Morgan, Crown copyright]After inspecting a Guard of Honour formed of ratings drawn from the Portsmouth Flotilla, the Admiral saluted as his standard, the Cross of St George, was lowered and the strains of Auld Lang Syne, performed by a band of Her Majesty’s Royal Marines, echoed around the Victory amphitheatre.
With the flag hauled down, it was carefully folded, then presented to the outgoing First Sea Lord by Victory’s Able Seaman ‘Jude’ Law.
As he and Lady Stanhope departed the ship, senior officers from the 3 navies and their staffs stood on the side of the quarterdeck to give a final wave.
And then, at the stroke of 1pm, a new Cross of St George was hoisted on Victory. With the flag billowing in the stiff easterly breeze, HMS Victory’s Commanding Officer Lieutenant Commander Rod Strathern could report to Admiral Zambellas:
Your flag flies from Victory’s main mast, Sir.
[h=3]If I could rejoin I would[/h]Of his career with the Royal Navy, Admiral Stanhope said:
The Royal Navy’s sense of purpose and strength of ethos have made for a hugely varied and rewarding 43 years, during which I have enjoyed being a part of an organisation that makes a positive difference around the world.
Throughout, it has been a privilege to serve with and honour to lead such brilliant people – sailors, marines and civil servants.” He added, “The Royal Navy has a fantastic future. If I could rejoin I would.
[h=3]First Sea Lord’s role[/h]As the new First Sea Lord and Chief of Naval Staff, Admiral Zambellas is the Royal Navy’s professional head and chairs the Navy Board. He is responsible to the Secretary of State for Defence for the fighting effectiveness, efficiency and morale of the Service, and supports the Chief of Defence Staff in the management and direction of the Armed Forces.
As a member of the Armed Forces Committee, he advises on maritime strategy and policy, and has a collective responsibility for providing strategic direction to the department, managing performance and ensuring that Defence delivers the required outputs.
Admiral Sir George Zambellas said:
We owe Sir Mark a huge debt of gratitude for his unstinting professionalism, strategic vision and leadership of the Royal Navy. He has worked tirelessly for the Service for over 40 years and leaves a legacy of a highly capable, efficient and globally deployable future Fleet. It is a privilege to succeed him.

More...

Somehow George Zambellas responsible for moral, doesn't quiet sit right!

When he was a young Wasp pilot he treated his crewman like shit, arrogant and aloof, obviously destined for big things.

At least there's a chance that he might have fair grasp of Naval aviation and air warfare. Might be useful for fending off further threats to RN aviation; what's left of it.

Seadog

War Hero
Who??? Never heard of him!! Must be another stay in London Occifer!! :):)
Until recently he was CinC Fleet or 'Fleet Commander' as the post is now styled. Maybe you should come out of the trap where you spend most of the day loafing. He's heard of you.

Seadog

War Hero

When he was a young Wasp pilot he treated his crewman like shit, arrogant and aloof, obviously destined for big things.
Maybe his crewman was shit. Anyone we know?

Seriously, 'aloof' etc may have been your observation / experience of the man 30 years ago. A lot of learning, maturing personality development can happen to a man in 30 years.

Scouse he was Rothesay Flight.

Seadog, No one on here. But I can safely say the crewman wasn't shite! ******* good bloke, very experienced PO with quite a few years of SAR under his belt.

Zambellas was just a GL pilot ticking the promotion box!

Maybe his crewman was shit. Anyone we know?

Seriously, 'aloof' etc may have been your observation / experience of the man 30 years ago. A lot of learning, maturing personality development can happen to a man in 30 years.
no such thing as a Shit SAR Aircrewman Diver...Occifers that are aloof, suffer a strange reality check when in the oggin, after departing from 62,OOOlbs of non ferrous metal, and then refer to the rating as a God like :thanks:

drewfester

Lantern Swinger
SEADOG Just saying I've never heard of him. Realistacly, not curently having a division or not being in Fleet HQ, I really do not have any idea who is were and what, and in the big scheme, what does it matter to me down here?It will be the usual, I will listen I will improve etc etc, then he will say nothing of real merit until he has retired and got his pension. After that he will shout and scream about "The destruction of the navy!" They all do it in high office, keep thier mouths shut until they have gone then gob off.Lets see how long it takes Stanhope (Who I have heard of :):)) to start winging at the next slant at the NavyEdited to add, Has he really heard of me????? Will he make the wets???

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
You're not being realistic, Drew. Firstly none of us have any idea what senior officers say to politicians in private; secondly please realise that mouthing off to the Press while serving is just as much a disciplinary offence in an admiral as it is in an AB, and thirdly please remember that when a 1SL (Luce) did resign (over the binning of CVA01) it made not a jot of difference.

i can't argue with Waspie's personal experience of Adml George but maybe he's a changed man. Last Spring, he was seen helping out on the Whale Island visitors' reception desk. A bit of hands on experience, I believe. Anyway, winning hearts and minds at that level is all Greek to me.

Last edited:
Knew him when he was driving HMS Argyll in the late 90s I was seariding I can honestly say it was one of the unhappiest ships I ever rode, with one exception, HMS Somerset. Seems to me he's the perfect man for the 1SLs - job couldn't give a fcuk about the lads and lasses

FAAFLYNAVY

Lantern Swinger
At least there's a chance that he might have fair grasp of Naval aviation and air warfare. Might be useful for fending off further threats to RN aviation; what's left of it.
Sorry, have to disagree, he's a serious political mover & shaker who's known for his networking skills, if ever there was an ideal candidate to dispose of the new carriers & kill off FAA fixed wing for ever he's your man, then it's off to the house of lords to sit alongside Alan West.

Just of course a personal opinion!

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer

Waspie I may be able to arrange for you to meet him later in the year, at cost of course!

G

guestm

Sorry, have to disagree, he's a serious political mover & shaker who's known for his networking skills, if ever there was an ideal candidate to dispose of the new carriers & kill off FAA fixed wing for ever he's your man, then it's off to the house of lords to sit alongside Alan West.

Just of course a personal opinion!
How would you know? He had only just been promoted to Lieutenant by the time you walked out the gate.

Latest Threads