News story: Admiral Zambellas new First Sea Lord

Discussion in 'MoD News' started by MoD_RSS, Apr 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Somehow George Zambellas responsible for moral, doesn't quiet sit right!

When he was a young Wasp pilot he treated his crewman like shit, arrogant and aloof, obviously destined for big things.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. At least there's a chance that he might have fair grasp of Naval aviation and air warfare. Might be useful for fending off further threats to RN aviation; what's left of it.
  4. Who??? Never heard of him!! Must be another stay in London Occifer!! :):)
  5. What ships flight was he on?????
  6. Perhaps, after all, that's the way to do it.
  7. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Until recently he was CinC Fleet or 'Fleet Commander' as the post is now styled. Maybe you should come out of the trap where you spend most of the day loafing. He's heard of you.
  8. Seadog

Maybe his crewman was shit. Anyone we know?

Seriously, 'aloof' etc may have been your observation / experience of the man 30 years ago. A lot of learning, maturing personality development can happen to a man in 30 years.
  9. Scouse he was Rothesay Flight.

Seadog, No one on here. But I can safely say the crewman wasn't shite! ******* good bloke, very experienced PO with quite a few years of SAR under his belt.

Zambellas was just a GL pilot ticking the promotion box!
  10. no such thing as a Shit SAR Aircrewman Diver...Occifers that are aloof, suffer a strange reality check when in the oggin, after departing from 62,OOOlbs of non ferrous metal, and then refer to the rating as a God like :thanks:
    • Like Like x 2
  11. SEADOG Just saying I've never heard of him. Realistacly, not curently having a division or not being in Fleet HQ, I really do not have any idea who is were and what, and in the big scheme, what does it matter to me down here?It will be the usual, I will listen I will improve etc etc, then he will say nothing of real merit until he has retired and got his pension. After that he will shout and scream about "The destruction of the navy!" They all do it in high office, keep thier mouths shut until they have gone then gob off.Lets see how long it takes Stanhope (Who I have heard of :):)) to start winging at the next slant at the NavyEdited to add, Has he really heard of me????? Will he make the wets???
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

You're not being realistic, Drew. Firstly none of us have any idea what senior officers say to politicians in private; secondly please realise that mouthing off to the Press while serving is just as much a disciplinary offence in an admiral as it is in an AB, and thirdly please remember that when a 1SL (Luce) did resign (over the binning of CVA01) it made not a jot of difference.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. i can't argue with Waspie's personal experience of Adml George but maybe he's a changed man. Last Spring, he was seen helping out on the Whale Island visitors' reception desk. A bit of hands on experience, I believe. Anyway, winning hearts and minds at that level is all Greek to me.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  14. Seadog

Oh yes.

If I ask him nicely.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Knew him when he was driving HMS Argyll in the late 90s I was seariding I can honestly say it was one of the unhappiest ships I ever rode, with one exception, HMS Somerset. Seems to me he's the perfect man for the 1SLs - job couldn't give a fcuk about the lads and lasses
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Seriously? Which navy are you in?
  17. Sorry, have to disagree, he's a serious political mover & shaker who's known for his networking skills, if ever there was an ideal candidate to dispose of the new carriers & kill off FAA fixed wing for ever he's your man, then it's off to the house of lords to sit alongside Alan West.

Just of course a personal opinion!
    • Like Like x 3
  18. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Waspie I may be able to arrange for you to meet him later in the year, at cost of course!
  19. How would you know? He had only just been promoted to Lieutenant by the time you walked out the gate.
  20. Why so huffy? I did state that it was only my personal opinion!
    • Like Like x 2