News servers

Discussion in 'Bloody Computers' started by seafarer1939, Sep 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a light user[apart from Rum Ration] but I do use the Tiscali news server for discussion groups on Golf,music,poker,boxing and a couple of others.
    It's now closed down so I need a new server that has a reader that you can get into various groups and read them offline.
    Opera has a limited range,Microsoft is just for their products and I can't find any others.
    I may pay for one if it's not too expensive as I can live without it.
    What do others use to get into all these groups?A Usenet search threw up a few paid ones but in the USA I'm loathe to send credit card payment over the net.If you can help,cheers

2. http://www.teranews.com/

They make a $3.99 set up charge for their "free" account which limits your bandwidth. If you reach your daily limit they simply tell you to come back tomorrow, there are no hidden charges.

I signed up a few years ago and use the service occasionally, because I never reach my bandwidth they've now given me an unlimited account free of charge.

3. thanks for that mate,I'll get on to it.I'm not in a great Broadband area at the moment so I'm waiting for the Sky package to get here.
    I'll check this out thanks again