News on Endurance!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by TheLastStoker, Jan 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hadn't seen any info on her flood for a while so i thought id post this!

Endurance flood!

After having spoke to people there at the time it looks like a sea suction valve failed as they were doing a strainer change! By the sounds of how it was going it's a bit of a miracle she's still afloat!

2. £150m repair bill seems a bit steep!
  3. If you knock off a zero you wil probably find a reflection of the true costs. The extra is probably lost in admin, consultancy and miscellaneous contractor fees. We routinely pay too much for everything these days, primarily due to poor contract negotiation.

4. Interesting - is she in Punta Arenas? On an RN ship is it usual to have only a single block between the strainer and oggin??

We have had 2 similar incidents in GoM . One was a 20 inch valve failure that flooded the centre pontoon & column to 33 meters in less than 4 minutes. I was onboard at the time and things were "interesting" for a few hours. Luckily we had a 5000 ton crane that gave some righting arm as we were trying to counter-ballast. :whew:

Were there any injuries to crew?

5. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

1290 tonnes of seawater in her main machinery spaces. 3ft of oggin in the accomodation deck.

No power and drifting towards rocks with 33 degree rolls on heavy seas, manually dropped a pick and hit a lucky shoal.

On way back to FI now unmanned.

At one stage they were 15min from abandoning her ^_^;

Some very nifty work required to save her!!
  6. wave_dodger

What do you do on the rigs? One of my cadets from BRNC was a 'mature' entrant who worked on the rigs in the GoM, lasted less than a year in the mob and is back out there now.
  7. 42 degrees and nothing lucky about the anchors. spot on decision by command.

to answer a question from an earlier thread, you cannot move fuel around to counter a list without power.

and the wafu's weren't i the scran queue either, they were diging out with the rest of the boys and girls

should be in FI by now
  8. The other thing the article fails to mention is that Endurance was already earmarked for a substantial refit, which would probably account for a large proportion of that cash. C deck, which is the one which was damaged, was due to be ripped out and refitted as the cabin arrangement was/is inadequate for the amount of JR's onboard.
  9. Project manage a lot of ultra-deepwater stuff. Don't get offshore too often nowadays but at the moment I am sitting about 200 miles south of New Orleans watching an ROV install some equipment in 4500 fsw [that's shallow]

RM :thumright:
  10. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Christ. What took you guys so long, eh? I had the pictures of it all a couple of days afterward.

I'll say this much. Having served recently on Endurance in a fairly senior position, this comes as no real shock to me. I've spoken to some of the chaps involved, and some who were actually in the space when it happened, you can only doff your hats to people who single mindedly did everything they could to stop the floodwater coming in within their abilities. It is an absolute miracle the ship wasn't lost, thanks largely to matelots who are asked, time after time, to bail out literally when things go pear shaped for a number of reasons out of their control. The pictures I have show every measure of clever damage control skills, in a ship that isn't built to have them installed on there. The lads and lasses deserve every pat on the back they get and we should be seriously proud of them because, like Nottingham and Southampton before her, it was their braveness and refusal to be beaten that saved a catastrophe.

For those of you uninterested and ambivalent to idle your way through MWS Phoenix and see it all as a pain in the arse, please pay attention. Endurance's engine room was completely flooded from bilge to deckhead and the floodwater out on C Deck which someone has alluded as to being thigh deep, was actually neck deep in places. You'll do yourselves a big old favour in getting stuck in and learning and developing rather than addressin damage control as just naval nause.

I'll say as well that there was some measure of elephant sized cahoonas in the senior management on there as well. People should remember that because they faced some seriously massive decisions in a short space of time which either way could have meant loss of life.

As for £150m bill, what do you expect from idiots like the NoTW? Mind you, anything is better than the powder puff that the Navy News gives Endurance this month in it's ever-glossy, news-free, happy-times pages. Note also Endurance has an article sized up for next month about how busy they are going to be. Say what?

11. wave_dodger

Well 33 degrees is what they were reporting and what was reported in the huddles in Fleet HQ - 42 degrees would be bloody impressive.

Luck dropping the pick, yes because it was the only area of relative shallow water for 200nm.

And yes, they are in BFSAI.
  12. wave_dodger

Thats an interesting area to work in, and different too, esp for an SC (no offence but lots I have met jump straight in PSC). On the same intake at BRNC as Kath (the girl operating in your neck of the pond) we had a lad with an MSc in ROV design/operation. I just used to watch these peoples P packs with amazement. When I went to school/Uni it was all Maths/Science/Geography but now the diversity of courses and careers is astonishing.
  13. I'm not going to argue the point about the roll, but I heard that it was 42 degrees. It seemed to take the ship forever to recover from it, certainly and some were wondering if it was going to.

I'm not saying it wasn't luck that the shoal was there, but that it was quick thinking and sound judgement by those "up top", that led to the anchors gripping it and making life a whole lot easier and safer for all. I would be disappointed if superb leadership and seamanship were overlooked and the ship's survival put down to mere good fortune.
  14. Hats off to the crew for saving their ship. WELL DONE in obviously conditions that were horrifying and very scary.
  15. Any chance of you posting the pics on here? Or if not possibly sending them over PM......know my mate who was on there would be interested in seeing them, as shes hopping between hotel rooms at the minute!
  16. Whilst it is an obvious and well deserved BZ for those boys and girls for saving their ship, I'm afraid our civvy friends might not see it that way.

X amount of pounds of repairs for a 'warship' that almost sank due to mechanical failure is not a good story.

I at least demand that a ship runs aground or collides with a tanker. :rendeer:
  17. BZ to the entire ship's company for their sterling performance in saving the ship.

N.B. Today's Pompey News tells the real story in graphic detail (see last line).
  18. Hats off to all on board- I left her in 2005 so there'll probably be the odd one or two from then still knocking around in her from then.

Seriously impresive bit of work chaps- if you haven't been on the ENDR I think its probably difficult to appreciate exactly how good this is. Remember that she's a commercial vessel that is just not fitted for DC in the conventional RN way. I know that she occasionally gets a bit of stick as a floating hotel but considering the width of passageways and all those carpets the job is actually much harder to pull off than it would be on an FF/DD.

To say nothing of the "roll enhancement" tank....