News of the World: "Landlord of War"

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by soleil, Feb 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Pictured and named along with his Afghan business partner. What a shining example of PERSEC. Guess he'll have to up his rents to cover increased extortion payments to the Taliban unless there's a market for rubble in Kabul.

2. What a complete and utter twat. Another shining example of how a Junior Officer should behave..

3. Luckily he retired from the RNR sometime ago - suspect this is more about "free" advertising.

For someone who lives and works in the Middle East - you would have thought he would not want to advertise UK military connections, but there you go.

4. "Kabul has the potential to be a great place to live." So's Swilly, but I wouldn't like to live there either, armed guards or not. KNOB !!

5. People are being killed and this cnut is making a fortune reminds me of Private Walker in Dad's Army

6. Personally I can't see a problem. There are many people making a fortune out of the war. This chap is providing a service to organisations who are needed in the area, and feel more comfortable dealing with a company who is familiar with Western business practices.

Long term, this can assist in stabilising a zone, enabling further businesses to thrive. Areas like Croatia have recently benefitted from a more professional property market, overcoming the justifiable fear of investing in property without an official, centralised Land Registry.

Spelling edit

7. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

manny wrote
    Dubai isn't Yemen. Safe as houses and there are lots of ex HMF making money there. I'd advertise it, it opens doors. Nothing wrong with making money indirectly out of conflict. It isn't as if he's selling the plan to General McCrystal's latest offensive to the Taliban or selling orphans of war to Gary Glitter.

icantfly wrote
    WTF? Why should he limit his market? Despite my contempt for estate agents, good drills Mr Scarth.

Any excuse for an outrage bus outing. Mind your tongues don't stick to the windows.

8. Smart cookie and good luck to him. Honorary Rear Admiral Sir Donald Gosling Kt KCVO RNR, who served as an AB in the cruiser HMS Leander during the Second World War, started off his National Car Parks (NCP) empire by utilising bombsites in London. Since then, he's donated thousands to naval causes. Here's his own Leander today:

[​IMG]

9. Kabul !!! Hasn'T even got a Tesco's yet but i bet its on the cards. They can have one of the camps we vacate in the coming future.

10. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Good drills to the guy - I don't know him, but I've mates who do. By all accounts he's a decent well meaning chap and clearly pretty astute too. If he's making money, then well done him.

11. How dare you - North Prospect if you please and we could try renaming Kabul to Kabul-sur-Mer but as you and I both know; when you put lipstick on a pig....it's still a pig!!

RM

12. I must admit, I did scroll up to be sure I want reading the onion or something, but if people are willing to pay the prices he's asking, then good luck to him. As for the pic of him with an rpg-7 on the shoulder, dont worry sir, a steward will be along presently to take the weight off......
    Safe area in Kabul?? Owt like the Green zone in Baghdad?

13. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

"Safe area in Kabul?? Owt like the Green zone in Baghdad? "

I vividly recall going to a pool party in the US Embassy in the Green Zone while listening to gunfire and car bombs going off in the red zone - thought I was in a Vietnam film :)

14. Agree, I can't see anything wrong in what he is doing. The market is there and he has taken the initiative to capitalise on it - good effort.