News of the Screws

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by seafarer1939, Jul 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just got to say I'll miss this rag! OK to much was spent on Jordan,Katona and all the others willing to sleep with a celeb and sell the story but it did expose a lot of arrogant twats,MP's celebs,Crime lords,drug dealers,Fergie ,etc.
    The sport was good,the expose's even better but they went too far with the phone hacking.
    It was very poor to hack into who they did but that should have been cracked down on at the outset.
    They deserved to be closed but I still will miss the rag since I read it as a kid and remember the article to this day!
    "Errol Flynn! 22" of uncontrollable Flesh!"
    I didn't understand what it meant then,I'm not sure I do now but it was good at stories like that.
    BTW! I can't beat Errol unless you look at a few times!

2. While all the time the rats were at it themselves.

3. Occasional reader (well I was) of the NOTW, what I find strange is that ALL the flack is heading towards the NOTW when it has been show that the PI worked for a number of other publications, and that the NOTW was not his main customer, but came in at 5th. I saw this on news night (might have been a different show, but it was definitely a BBC news programme)

Spelling edit, iPad cock up or mine, fcuk knows

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  4. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Oh good, more sh!t to hit fan.

5. Kelvin Mackenzie ?.

6. I think no-one would have condemned the NOTW journalists using dubious methods to expose crooks,con men or politicians misdeads.It was when they turned their methods on the members of the Royal Family and celebs just on the trawl for tittle tattle.The public's appetite for gossip about the rich and famous is what fueled the goings on and a climate of getting a story at whatever cost.I'm sure that the Screws was not alone in this endeavour but seem to overstepped the line to a greater degree.The title has been well and truly sullied so closing it down was probably the best option.

7. Thinking about it, there may be a lot more to come out if a few disgruntled now out-of-work journo's decide to get back at Murdoch and start telling tales.

Here's hoping, if it happens I think can of worms will turn into a 'king big barrel of anaconda's

8. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Lets be honest, it is a shite newspaper but everyone would have a shufti at it given the chance.

The people involved are hacks, not journos. Will i miss it? Nope. I have no interest in celebrity gossip or who's shagging who. I'm more interested in what will happen to hacks that have crossed the line though.

9. Haven't seen it in years, but as a fully paid up member of the Schadenfreude appreciation society, I'm looking forward to how far the mighty are going to fall.

10. I had a real great one this arvo.:laughing2:

11. And now the film

12. Here is one that has fallen from the dizzy heights, Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson, apparently without a stain on his character; those teflon suits are bloody marvellous.

13. No need to grieve the end of the NOTW.... Murdoch and Co. are apparently setting up a 'new' Sunday paper.....quick shift from one set of offices to the next or simply a new sign above the door = same level of 'journalism', just with a different title.

More sinister is the latest shit sandwich being fed to the public;the 'unexplained but not suspicious' death of Sean Hoare, chief hacker and Whistleblower Extraordinaire- initially encouraged by Nigs at No.10- now dead.

14. It will be interesting to see what additions if any to this very large can of worms comes from across the pond.

15. Good Rolling Stone article that explains what has been going on at Faux News How Roger Ailes Built the Fox News Fear Factory | Rolling Stone Politics

Roger Ailes is the man ordered by Murdoch to keep the right-wing noise machine attacking Bazza and the Democrats.

Seems like an ideal time now for Obama's gang to take out Murdoch and Fox News without getting their own hands dirty.

RM

16. My bold

I don't believe in coincidence when it comes to money, power and politics. This stinks to high heaven.
    However, I would like to be proved wrong.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  17. I've got the beer and popcorn in loving it.Dave's not doing too well no matter how you spin it. His pal Boris the Lord clown of London is playing a staring role in buffunery what more could you ask for.

18. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I just hope that Call Me Dave, came back from South Africa before he gave away more of the UK taxpayers cash!

19. Re the dead whistle blower. The BBC news is saying:
    "A police spokesman said the death was currently being treated as unexplained, but was not thought to be suspicious"

hmm, bit quick off the marks there me ol' mucker. Too quick.

20. Aye Fly,

Perhaps someone should be a'checking of his lastest/last Vodaphone Txns ...

Might be a story thereof.