News article: Prince Harry completes tour of duty in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by MoD_RSS, Jan 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
  2. WTF????

Prince Harry confirms he killed Taliban as he returns from Afghanistan saying: 'Take a life to save a life' - Telegraph

I haven't posted on here for ages, mostly 'cos I'm too fucking busy these days but this has pissed me right off.

I attended a security brief given by Fleet two weeks ago. A video was played showing different hypothetical scenarios in which personal security can be compromised. One of these involved two lads in the pub, fresh back from Afghanistan, standing at the bar having a private conversation about killing Taliban whilst they were out there. They were overheard by a "terrorist" in the pub who, obviously, took umbrage to this, thus making the unsuspecting young squaddies targets for attack.

And yet, here have the second-in-line to the British throne, telling the fucking Daily Telegraph about how he killed Taliban, almost likening the experience to an X-Box game. A joy, he says!

Unbe-fucking-lievable.

How many real fucking terrorists do you think have read this article?

Would anyone from Fleet Security care to comment on this????

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

That's a harsh assessment.

4. Agree, but then again Hewitt Jr. probably has more protection than your average squaddie. Can't quite justify it my own mind, but I assume that's the case.

5. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

To be fair, for an Apache pilot not to have taken out any baddies would be a rare thing. What is silly is a paper reporting that fact. Who's to blame here, Harry for talking to a newspaper or the newspaper for printing it? I'm surprised it got published to be honest as the repurcussions could be interesting.

6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

"Apache crew kill Taliban".........Fuck me sideways, next they'll be telling me a bootneck's been seen in a dress.

• Like Like x 4
  7. .
    With my serious head on
    Sphincter,

Noting that you are quite new to RR suchlike remarks on the 'Serious' threads are inappropriate and likely to draw down the wrath of the Moderators.

Sunshine, I suggest that you have a little look at the site rules before you bless us with any more of your erudite observations.

On Topic.

Fully agree with Offers (welcome back BTW)

The Prince's unguarded and impetuous remarks seem to be actively inviting retribution.

It was before his time but has this Playboy-Prince learned nothing or forgotten what happened to his father's mentor on 27 August 1979?

<<...The IRA claim responsibility for the execution of Lord Louis Mountbatten. 'This operation is one of the discriminate ways we can bring to the attention of the English people the continuing occupation of our country'.

Sinn Féin vice-president Gerry Adams said of Mountbatten's death:

The IRA gave clear reasons for the execution. I think it is unfortunate that anyone has to be killed, but the furore created by Mountbatten's death showed up the hypocritical attitude of the media establishment. As a member of the House of Lords, Mountbatten was an emotional figure in both British and Irish politics. What the IRA did to him is what Mountbatten had been doing all his life to other people; and with his war record I don't think he could have objected to dying in what was clearly a war situation. He knew the danger involved...

...On the day Mountbatten was assassinated the IRA ambushed and killed eighteen British Army soldiers, sixteen of them from the Parachute Regiment at Warrenpoint, County Down, in what became known as the Warrenpoint ambush...>>

Louis Mountbatten, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bob

8. Great quote. You know this from having met him during your service time I presume? I have, and he is a top bloke. I saluted him, reported the SC to him and he shook my hand and said "morning mate". It threw me, but he asked my name, asked if I was ok and ditted on with the lads. IMO he is a good lad.

SphincterPaww how much time have you spent with him? Where were you stationed/drafted/posted at the time of making your personal assessment? Oh yeah I forgot you're making judgements on a serviceman when you haven't even served yet.

You (insert hair colour) cunt.

• Like Like x 4
  9. I agree with BOOTWU's comments, it would have been both wise and diplomatic IMO for the young soldiers comments to have been, “I have to the best of my knowledge carried out my duties effectively” and left it at that.

It smacks of an ill-advised PR job that at the very least will just serve to irritate the thousands of other members of the Armed Forces and their loved ones.

10. He's a target anyhow, talking about doing his job (good effort ginge BTW) is hardly going to make him more of a bullet magnet.
    I understand a deal was struck between the press and the Prince and Royal Family, which boiled down to frank interviews in return for a blackout of news on his whereabouts etc while he was on tour.
    He got a few digs in about the reporting of his Las Vegas run ashore, so I'm sure he's happy enough with the trade off.

11. Some more 'our lads' in the stan.and the terrorist in the pub...

12. And has been shown with the Algerian raid there are many a like minded Al Qaeda sympathisers living and sleeping in the UK.

13. Great to be back, BOOTWU, thanks.

With regard to Harry's personal security, as tight as it is, you've only got to look at the Vegas incident last year to see it's not as tight as it might be. As BOOTWU points out, the cold-blooded murder of Louis Mountbatten serves to highlight how senior members of the Royal Family have been targeted in the past.

What really concerns me is that Harry, as a senior Royal, represents the UK at a very high level. All this will do is further inflame those that wish to cause our country harm. Very irresponsible use of language, IMO.

You can't deride Jack, Percy or Crab for bragging in the pub when Senior Royals are doing it in the national press.

14. Splendid.....

15. To be honest I do think that Hewitt's comments were not particularly diplomatic and have probably done more harm than good. Not that the royals need to give one of course, it's a long long time since Richard III bought the farm in battle.

16. Concur. He's a great bloke and if he's as good at aircrew as he was as a JTAC he's a valuable asset.

17. I don't doubt for one minute that he is an all round good egg but that does not make his ill thought out or I'll advised comments any less foolish.

18. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

The Taliban and their ilk don't need an excuse to take offence and commit murder or make an attempt at it. A schoolgirl's blog will set them off.

And then there are those who take offence by proxy.

I'd just like to add my 'voice' to those calling 'cock' on sphincter paw. Cock.

19. I wouldn't say they were foolish. He's talking about killing people, how else do you want him to sugar that pill? He's a new generation royal which people have been crying out for for years, a royal that Joe Public wants to find a connection with and can feel like he's one of them. Someone down to earth. We've got him, he's good at what he does and he tells it like it is.

Besides, I'm sure he gives a fuck what rambling retirees who haven't even thrown an annoyed glance let alone some rounds at an enemy think about his exploits or dits.

• Like Like x 1