Newbies

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Old_Bill, Nov 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, joined this site a few weeks ago and haven't stopped laughing since, a real tonic! Brings back a lot of fond memories, good and bad. Keep it up fellas.

2. Welcome Old Bill , enjoy & get involved , 8O

3. Greetings Old Bill. Good to know you.

4. Old-Bill

Welcome to RR

Does you name show leaning towards the Cloth or is Bill your name?

Your avartar a A or P and O in Pompey circa ?

Nutty

Is this new member a win double

5. Welcome O-B

Not every one is completely mad, every day.

Have fun

6. Nutty

Thank you and every-one else for the welcome.

I left the Mob in 1977 and joined West Yorkshire Police, hence the name. (Also my name). Now retired.

The avatar is a picture of my last boat, Sealion, taken some time after I left. I reckon it would be the late 80's. I think she was scrapped in 92.

7. I used to fire torpedos at Sealion, more than one bounced off.

Peter

8. Hey and welcome to RR!

9. Old-Bill

Ditto left Opportune 1972 and joined METPOL. Now in Spain doing not a lot.

Peter

Is it true that if you managed to hit the target boat i.e. Sealion with your Mk 24 thingy or what ever name it had by then, you were awarded a "Ritterkreuz" and the hit did not have to be confirmed only claimed.

Nutty

10. Welcome onboard Old Bill. You won't need your snorkel here, but you might need special specs to keep you out of one of our cyber straight-jackets. You'll know you're a RR addict and become a Pathological Cyberholic (PC) if your number of posts exceed 500. Then you can wander our virtual messdecks shouting anything inane and as part of the ship's furniture, no one will notice anything awry! :lol:

Were you based in Bradford by any chance? If so do were you there when they allowed a local businessman to advertise his pizzas, or whatever they were on the sides of police vehicles?

Did you know Chris Plowman (who always insisted he was 49)?

Steve.

11. [/quote]

Welcome onboard Old Bill. You won't need your snorkel here, but you might need special specs to keep you out of one of our cyber straight-jackets. You'll know you're a RR addict and become a Pathological Cyberholic (PC) if your number of posts exceed 500. Then you can wander our virtual messdecks shouting anything inane and as part of the ship's furniture, no one will notice anything awry! :lol:

Were you based in Bradford by any chance? If so do were you there when they allowed a local businessman to advertise his pizzas, or whatever they were on the sides of police vehicles?

Did you know Chris Plowman (who always insisted he was 49)?

Steve.[/quote]

Steve, thanks for that , I'm sure I will get to that stage. I was getting some strange looks at work the other day. I made the mistake of reading the Black Cat forum during a quiet period in the office. It's very difficult suppressing maniacal laughter!

I was actually based in Wakefield, but have visited Bradford many times in one role or another. I seem to recall the pizza advertising but don't think I actually saw one. I did see many panda cars with adverts for Coral Windows though!

I knew Chris Plowman quite well. I worked with him for a short while in the Firearms Training Department, before I became a proper Firearms Instructor. I think he has been 49 all his life, but in reality he's older than God!

12. It was sort of the other way round, if you actually managed to 'hit', you didn't get quite so much stick from the firing and target crews.

In reality we only got actual hits in one mode, in the others we got 'valid fuze triggers' as it did not physicaly hit. It happened more often than many realised.

We tended to avoid actual hitting runs as much as possible because a physical hit tended to do irreparable damage and we only had a limited number of torpedo hulls. I remeber lifting one such fish onto RMAS Whitehead and it all looked great until it came out of the water and it broke in two.

Peter

13. I am afraid that Chris died a couple of years ago just after retiring - I knew him because he was the Chairman of a medical charity which I co-founded and we used to hold our quarterly committee meetings in Bradford Police Station.

I suggest you take a good look at the thread below when in company...
    http://www.rumration.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=2053.html
    It starts sort of serious then...