Newbies Section - New Protocol

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ninja_Stoker, Apr 20, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Just an update for the uninitiated:

This sub forum is specifically aimed at those joining the forum seeking information.

For those "old and bold three badge forum users" who despair of seeing the same questions and answers repeated ad nauseum, it is appreciated you maybe sick of seeing the same or similar questions asked repeatedly but rather than hurl abuse & face a temporary ban, consider the following:

• 1. It's appreciated this facility may not have been available when you joined, but times change.
    • 2. Moderators will delete posts or impose bans without warning
    • 3. Rather than post "use the search function", post a link to the relevant article
    • 4. Simply ignore the question if it upsets you too much.

Thanks ever so.

• Like Like x 15
  2. I hate newbies....

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

One must confess there are times when I feel exasperated but we have to have a cease-fire zone otherwise the forum doesn't get new blood. I must confess I'm as bad as the next person when it comes to getting hacked-off and I'm certain our resident 3 badgers will be quick to point out if I employ double standards.

At the same time, if any newbie is out of order, the thread will be moved to an appropriate section where the jackals are let loose.

• Like Like x 2
  4. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Just gas them...
    ImageUploadedByNavy Net - Rum Ration1398062069.403500.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  5. exJenny

Sorry. Must behave.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Humour is entirely acceptable I reckon. The issue is when first time posters are faced with a tirade that goes beyond banter.

• Like Like x 1
  7. exJenny

Bloody hell it's hard Ninja... Not sure I can stop myself...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

If only this were Lil's.

Posted from Hell using Lucifer's mobile.

• Like Like x 3
  9. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Does this mean I can't have any more 'Happy HMS Raleigh Days', and I'll have to rejoin the navy to post in the repetitive questions and answers section of the site?

What colour of sewing thread is best used for make and mends?

10. Ninja_Stoker

Bummer, isn't it?

The only difference is that whilst the same questions maybe asked in a variety of ways, by different people on this section, it was getting even more off-putting and tedious seeing the same duffers, repeatedly posting offensive dross in response.

Yes, some questions are naive in the extreme, yes they've been asked before many times, but not by the same person usually.

By contrast, elsewhere on the site we have people that repeatedly troll, some repeatedly seek confrontation, some repeatedly & unwittingly 'cyber bully', some repeatedly post articles without comment, some repeatedly try to help enquirers about all things Naval, others repeatedly drip. Then of course, there are those sparkling intellects who post funny and interesting comments.

• Like Like x 2
  11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Stop it, Ninja, I'm blushing... :oops: :lol:

12. Ah, so this is where the "what kind of iron should I take " question will be posted . I must check here every week. ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  13. NinJa
    Being as it is nearly Chrimbo please can we all be let off until January?

14. Ninja_Stoker

In the spirit of Christmas, you mean?

No.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Sometimes Ninja you can be a right Scroooooge!:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  16. He'll take that as a compliment.

17. he will STEAL that as a compliment .

18. Am I the ONLY one to notice that since the inception of this thread for Newbies to ask bone questions, it is only the 'Regulars' that have played?

Just saying like bro, innit.

It was a good idea though Nina.

19. Ninja_Stoker

To be fair to everyone, since posting this thread, the majority have 'played nice', which was the intention.

That said there has indeed been a reduction in bone queries which makes me wonder whether some of them were posted by trolls to inflame reaction in the first place.

20. If I'm being honest I definitely debated it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk