newbies - dont attack me please

Discussion in 'History' started by lorraine, Sep 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, this is just a update and i don't want to upset anyone like last time.

But my Dad who served on HMS Rooke, HMS Eastborne and HMS diamond died on 12th august. HMS diamond is being relaunched in November in Scotland and my dad is being mentioned in the roll of hounour

God bless him

BTW I don't want anyone's money x
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hello Lorraine,

Welcome back & my apologies if we got off on the wrong foot.

What a fantastic tribute, your Dad's name immortalised on one of the newest Royal Navy ships.

Interestingly these ships are designed to be in active service longer than any other operational warship that has gone before. (40 years instead of the "average" 25).

A fitting accolade.
  3. Sorry for your loss Lorraine - it can't be easy but I agree with Ninja about the wow factor in having your Dad remembered in DIAMONDs roll of honour. I suspect any self respecting matlot would be chuffed to be remembered like that.

Welcome to RR by the way.

4. My dad was good friends with Ray Shipley of the HMS Diamond assoc and we recieved a letter from him informing us of this recently - it cuts me up so bad, but we are so honoured that he is remembered in this way. My Dad died in St Rapheals hospice surrouned by his family in August this year - to the people who advised me to go to be with my dying Dad. that 's what I did, i even rolled a fag for him in the hospice.

so to my lovely Able seaman B****y F*****SS (as I cant mention his name on this site) God bless you Dad, love you more than anything x
  5. Dear Lorraine, my heart goes out to you, if your father is being honoured in that way, There is no reason on earth that can stop you from using his name on this Forum, it is an unofficial Royal Navy website. Be proud and best wishes for the future.
  6. Dear Lorraine, Its always very sad to hear of a fellow matelot crossing the bar, and our thoughts are with you. But I bet your dad is a very proud matelot now, being having been honoured in this way, Best Wishes for the future, and remember, you are amongst a lot of good friends here on R.R
  7. THANK YOU higthepig and terry Rice, i wish i could mention his name, oh bugger, lets go for it and if it gets deleted so be it

So to Able seaman Barry Furness, HMS rooke, HMS Diamond and HMS Eastborne - I love you Dad and miss you so much - I will never forget the sailors lift you gave me when I fell asleep on the sofa - no one will ever do a sailors lift like you Dad

Oh and you we're the best at the Field Gun - ever X
  8. Ninja_Stoker

I raise my glass to Able Seaman Barry Furness. Royal Navy. RIP.

And, once I've put the glass down, I salute you & your family.

PS It ain't getting deleted.
  9. My heart is with you, a good fitting tribute
  10. A Sailors Prayer

Now I lay me down to sleep,
    I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
    Grant no other sailor take
    My shoes and socks before I wake.
    Lord guard me in my slumber
    And keep my hammock on its number.
    May no clues nor lashings break
    And let me down before I wake.
    Keep me safely in thy sight
    And grant no fire drill tonight.
    And in the morning let me wake,
    Breathing scents of sirloin steak.
    God protect me in my dreams
    And make this better than it seems.
    Grant the time may swiftly fly
    When myself shall rest on high.
    In a snowy feather bed,
    Where I long to rest my head,
    Far away from all the scenes
    And the smell of half-done beans.
    Take me back into the land
    Where they don't scrub down with sand,
    Where no Demon Typhoon blows,
    Where the women wash the clothes.
    God thou knowest all my woes,
    Feed me in my dying throes.
    Take me back I'll promise then
    Never to leave home again.

RIP AB Barry Furness
  11. Lorraine
    Lovely to see you back.
    I am so sorry that you have lost your Dad,think of all the good times you had with him,no one can take away your lovely memories.
    I will be in the Kepps head in Pompey on 6th October and there is to be a re-enactment of Tot Time.I will raise my glass to your Dad AB Barry Furness and also my late husband ex MAA Ken Land.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
  12. Welcome back hun- so glad to hear from you again--
    take care of yourself- BH xxx
  13. Lorraine - it's all been said by other Rum Rationers, so I'll just endorse their sentiments. May your Dad rest in peace. You have every right to be proud of him, just as I'm sure he was of you.
  14. Hi Lorraine,

It's god to see you back on rr. Big hugs and condolences to you and your family.

That is amazing, having your dad's name on there.

J_D xx
  15. Thank you all for your lovely replys.

My dad was a great man, with many great stories to tell of his life in the navy (and the tricks him and his navy mates used to get up to) I will miss him telling all those stories so much.

My Dad would have loved this site and I wish I had found it sooner, so that he could have joined up, but alas..........

As a tribute to my dad my whole famly will be marching with the Royal British Legion (at his local branch) on remeberance day (as my Dad did every year) and will will remember him with pride, along with all the others.

May I wish you all well in whatever walk of life, either on the sea's or in civvy land.

God bless you all for your kind thoughts
  16. Ninja_Stoker

Hello Lorraine,

Thank you for your kind comments.

I've moved the thread into the Naval History Forum as this section has the Naval Obituary sticky at the top, which is the correct place for tributes & avoids your post getting mixed up with "new joiners". Hope you understand.

Hopefully the Moderator on this forum will move it into the obituary section. (I can't move things around within this Forum)
  17. RIP Shipmate.
    Condolences to you and the rest of the Family Lorraine.
  18. What a great honour for you and your family.
    Bet Dad would be chuffed.
  19. A Fitting Tribute,God bless you all!
  20. Condolances on your loss Lorraine, bet he's a proud old sailor now up there in Heaven looking down to a lovely daughter and his name up on the honours board of a NEW Ship!

Chin up girl and be proud of him, you have every right to be!