newbie

joe_145

Lantern Swinger
alright boys and girls...im new on here so thought id say hi..im currently a full time tarmacer but have been wanting to join the navy for a long time and i am currently seriously considering signing up...im a little worried about my age...24..25 in february is there many peaople of simialr age who sign up or have i left it a bit too late?? im also concerned that i would struggle with the fitnes side of things

cheers
JoE
 
Mate, I'm 26 in September, on the day my initial training starts. If your out of shape then it's a bitch to get through the first few weeks of a fitness programme. Stick with it and by week 3/4 you'll start to see yourself getting fitter and it will get easier. Go see your local armed forces carreers office, they will give you all the info. There are people much older that yourself who are joining too.
 

joe_145

Lantern Swinger
cheers norther...

i am sort of unsure what branch i would like to join, im full off indecision, i was quite intrested in the aircraft handler role, but also the submariner side of things seems fairly intresting. Is it hard being away from home/family/missus whilst on long deployments or do you tend just to get on with it?
 

becky_w_84

Lantern Swinger
joe_145 said:
...im a little worried about my age...24..25 in february is there many peaople of simialr age who sign up or have i left it a bit too late??
I'm going in in Oct as CIS and i'm 26 :oops: in January
 

joe_145

Lantern Swinger
cheers becky_w_84 making me feel younger i just had the feeling that i would end up in raleigh with hundreds of 16 year olds...lol
 
joe_145 said:
i am sort of unsure what branch i would like to join, im full off indecision, i was quite intrested in the aircraft handler role, but also the submariner side of things seems fairly intresting. Is it hard being away from home/family/missus whilst on long deployments or do you tend just to get on with it?
Chat to your AFCO, they will be able to talk you through what each role would entail, tell them what you're good at and what you enjoy and they'll advise you. The RN website is good for a bit of insight into what's involved in various careers.
 

mrs_MPW

Newbie
Just saying hello, I'm 21, from the North East, am looking into joining the Navy, possibly as an AET. I'm going back to college for a year first though, so I'm just taking this opportunity to learn a little more before i dive in head first :lol:
 

joe_145

Lantern Swinger
yeh to be fair mate the RN website is fairly informative...would any of you say that the level fitness you need is immense??
 

jjp23

Lantern Swinger
I just though i would say hi, i am 20 and currently going the the recruitment process for a CIS(SM). I think if you follow the fitness programme on the RN website you should be well prepared for the training, thats what i am trying to do.
 

nikki92

Badgeman
It's not immense...you don't have to be olympic athletes. The fitter you are, the better - if you can pass the tests [with a bit to spare - don't want to be dying and only just inside the limits], then you'll be fine, fitness requirements are on the RN website if you don't know 'em already.
 
joe_145 said:
cheers norther...

i am sort of unsure what branch i would like to join, im full off indecision, i was quite intrested in the aircraft handler role, but also the submariner side of things seems fairly intresting. Is it hard being away from home/family/missus whilst on long deployments or do you tend just to get on with it?
Joe,things have changed a lot since i was in the RN,but just to let you know what it used to be like,i was married on the Saturday and two weeks later i was on my way to the far east for nine months,on returning from that deployment i had three weeks leave and then was sent down to Guz for eight months ( wife lived in Hull ) and then another eight month west Indies deployment,think very hard if your a home bird cos you might have to do a lot of time from home,good luck

Ps We just accepted the seperation,
 

Robbiesolid

Midshipman
Hey there, I'm 32 and I'm going through the whole joining thing. I've been put in as an MA, i wanted to be an aircraft but on my test I must have scored high as they asked if I would mind becoming an MA, no worries !! Bring on the oldies, honestly no offence to the young guys and girls on here but sometimes the older you are the more life experience you have.

Good luck
 
Robbiesolid said:
Hey there, I'm 32 and I'm going through the whole joining thing. I've been put in as an MA, i wanted to be an aircraft but on my test I must have scored high as they asked if I would mind becoming an MA, no worries !! Bring on the oldies, honestly no offence to the young guys and girls on here but sometimes the older you are the more life experience you have.

Good luck
Exactly how would you have managed to become an aircraft,? :) hope you have bloody big chest muscles cos ya gonna need em for take off :lol:
 

GuyC

Badgeman
I just turned 27 a few weeks ago, and I'm starting at Raleigh beginning of Jan, as ET(WESM)
 
Gawd, it's sooooo depressing reading this. I realise I must be old as I'm old enough to be most of you noobies' dad.... well not Anglichanin... :oops:
 

Similar threads


Latest Threads

New Posts

Top