Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Stepto, Aug 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there guys. I've just passed my test, eyetest and medical and I'm giving serious consideration to joining the submarine service. Any advice would be great.

Kind regards
    Stepto.

2. There are loads of threads giving advice to this subject, don't be lazy, have a look, I'm sure you will find the answers for yourself...

3. Would you like advice on any particular aspect of joining the Submarine Service?

4. Thanks for the replies. I have been looking through the other threds but I just needed some advice straight from the horse's mouth so to speak. A year ago I was an estate agent with a cushy job, company car and nice house. Here I am, a year later, considering signing up for four years and I've not even set foot on a submarine! I'ts such a huge move. I'm 32 years old and the only advice I've had is from the Armed Forces centre which I've taken with a huge pinch of salt. I've been into boats and the sea for years and love it and really crave being part of a team and doing something with my life. The simple fact is is that I have no idea what to expect. What's life on board like? What are the pros and cons? What made you guys do the amazing job you do? Why does it appeal so much to me when I know so little about it? Sorry to be so vague but the whole process is moving so quickly at the moment and I need to make some big choices fast!
    Thanks for your time and help.
    Stepto.

5. Sorry but when a lot of us that patronise this site joined boats we had served some time in 'gens' (general service). So thats my advice, 'get some time in' before volunteering for anything. See if you like first being a matelot and all that entails and like us, you will get an idea as to what the modern day submariner has to endure etc.
    When I was thirty two I had already been in the mob for 16 years, been in boats for 8 years and was on the down hill stretch to pension.
    Bon chance!

6. If you ask every matelot and ex matelot why they joined the answer will usually be "It seemed like a good idea at the time". Stop effing about and get on with it! If you don't like it you can leave and put it down to experience. I suspect though that you might enjoy the Service if you just get on with it.

7. Hi stepto,I'm with polycell on this one joning the navy AND submarines in one go is a big step.Added to which they will chuck wads of cash at you if you go on to volunteer for boats from General Service. :thumright:

8. they're throwing wads of cash anyway, 5k after training!
    that's not my reason for wanting to join, it goes far deeper then that.
    thank's for all the help though guys. i know you all get fed up with newbies asking stupid questions.
    :thumright: :thumright: :thumright:

9. In the submarine service there is no such thing as a stupid question.

I joined the S/M service at the age of 17 doing my first Bomber patrol just before after my 18th birthday.
    I am now 34 and it is all i have known all my working life, I wholeheartedly say join the mob and become a Submariner straight away, it will the be the best thing you have ever done.

10. +1.

Weigh up the advice carefully as I am sure you will, but ultimately the decison is yours. Good luck.

11. At your age you don't really have time to f*ck around in GS first - take the plunge and join as a submariner now - if you're any good you won't regret it :thumright:

12. This guy is correct! Join as a sunshine dodger straight away; I almost guarantee that you will never regret it.

13. So can you join boats straight away?
    Do you say you can join boats without having done any GS time first?
    N wonder boats is filled with muppetts!
    Again mind you there are no proper submarines just those sea going hotels with ice cream machines laundrys dining halls etc. Where the stokers all have a shower before going on watch.

14. Can you swim?And have you google for the USS Thresher?If not, do so ,then deide. :thumright:

15. YES
    YES
    NO
    YAWN - real submarines not submersibles!! Stokers can do what they like with the water - they produce it :thumright:

16. Thanks for all the help and advice.
    Put my name down for WE.
    Going for it now big time.
    Just the interview and fitness test to go.
    Thanks again.
    :thumright: :thumright: :thumright: :thumright: :thumright: :thumright: :thumright: :thumright:

17. ensure you study your spec training pipeline for the interview, good luck WN

18. Thanks for that WN.
    Does anyone else have any advice?
    :thumright:

19. Have a knowledge of the RNs rather small Fleet and also the military tasking that we do. Its nor all about the Middle East!!!

20. Yes dont bother buying sun tan lotion or soap. All will become apparent