Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by smircula44, Sep 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

I currently have an application going through for RN, after reading through alot of posts on here thought I would join up as there seems to be alot of excellent advice for Raliegh etc.

Please excuse me in advance for any stupid questions I might ask! :thanks:

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Welcome to RR - is can be a bit daunting for first comers, but take it with a pinch of salt. Some comments may come across as abusive - although probably not intentional. But think of it as constructive criticism, and it will put you in good stead for when you do join up!

My only advice is to get used to the various threads and be prepared to stick to your guns. However I prety much guarantee most (if not all) of your questions about joining up will have probably been answered in previous posts - check the 'sticky' subjects at the top of each thread.

Welcome aboard!

:lol:

3. Thnakyou! I will check through the previous posts before I ask any questions then :)

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome to the site.

As Sgt PB has said, the answer is probably somewhere here, but if you can't find it, post the question & we'll do our best for you.

Enjoy the site!

5. Welcome onboard Smircula! We have several places you could visit which will tell you the do's and don'ts....... Just remember....

Fear the Master and Honour the Skipper! ;)

6. im new aswell just ignore the wise crackers with too much time on their hands ,.... good site tho :salut:

7. Welcome to RR, have a read through the stickies in this forum (the threads that are at the top of the newbies section), it maybe a lot to get through but there is some very good advice. Remember that there is never such of a thing as a stupid question, just a stupid answer...........you'll hear a lot of that in your basic training.

We have all been there at one time or another, be it 6 months ago or 20 years ago but the basic advice will still be the same.

If you have a question that you rather not be aired in public, drop Ninja_S (the mod to the newbies section) or myself a PM.

Ignore the smart alec comments, however, it's a sense of humour that you will need to get use to once in the RN.

Good luck and jumo right in!

8. Well come to all new people! This is a great resource for potential naval types! Feel free to ask anything you wish, within reason of course. I have been through Raleigh and about to do Dartmout next so i know a thing or two if you need info!

9. Im new aswell decided to post here just make it a bit easier. Hoping to become Royal Marine after college. The smiles are great :farao:

10. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Welcome, read through the newbies section for advice on joining up and your chosen avenue. If you can't find the answer then post away, the moderator of this forum is pretty clued up on AFCO issues and there are plenty of experienced folk hiding away in the shadows.

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome to RR

It's a good a place as any to say "Hello" mate.

If you cannot find the answer you seek, feel free to fire away with your questions - the answer is probably here already, it's just a case of trying to find it!

12. As JD says and we are all fond of saying, there're no stupid questions just stupid answers. That's actually not strictly true. Sometimes there are some really really stupid questions and they tend to get answered by lots of piss taking.

Having the piss taken out of you is something that will definately happen when you join the mob, and even when you post on here. It's something you'll have to get used to so don't get upset, just join in. When you join up you will need to develope a thick skin 'cos when it comes to humour NOTHING is sacred.

Good luck.