Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Gazza82, Apr 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone
    I just wanted to introduce myself My names Gareth I'm 24 from sunny north wales.
    I am in the middle of my application for Aircraft tech in the RAF but its not looking good after my first test and you only get 2 chances. :?
    I've seen the RN have got Aircraft techs and if I'm unsuccessful with the RAF I might apply for the RN.
    But what have I got to expect in the application process?
    Is it the same or different to the RAF?
    What does the basic training involve?
    And whats the RN like overall?

thanks in advance
    8) Gazza 8)
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hello Gareth & Welcome.

I like the cut of your jib young man: "If I don't make it in the RAF, I'll try second best".

That aught to go down well!

Truth is the RN Aircraft Tech has to take an entrance test similar to the RAF- if you fail the RAF test twice regardless of the fact you need GCSE's to be an RAF Tech, guess what?

Good luck anyway- truth is as an RAF Tech, you're quite likely to serve on RN war canoes anyway sooner or later. no doubt those doing the job already will point that out to you.

Have a trawl through Newbies- there's been a lot of AET stuff recently which will save you repeating the question. Again good luck.
  3. I like the cut of your jib young man: "If I don't make it in the RAF, I'll try second best".

That aught to go down well!

Sorry If any offence was taken.
    It wasnt meant how it sounded I just went to the RAF first because it was the most obvious choice for an aircraft tech.
    I have got GCSE equivelants just I dunno if the RAF will recognise these because they are in German thats the only problem I have at the moment for joining as a Aircraft tech. I also have NVQ level 3 which apparently are equivelant to A levels.
    The RAF HQ might not recognise these tho and I might not be able to do my second test.
    Will I have to have proof of Qualifications I've got for Aircraft tech in the RN tho it says non required on the website?
  4. Ninja_Stoker

None taken mate- just pulling your leg.

The RAF will tell you for sure, but I reckon NVQ's, regardless of what your school/college may have told you, are not recognised as equivalent to GCSEs or A levels unfortunately(they aren't in the RN anyway- but double check, don't just take my assumption for it).

No proof required on RN website, only Officers, Nurses & Communications technicians have to prove their qualifications. (Don't tell porkies though, because we do write to your school/college & check!).
  5. Thanks for that information. Will have to ask a few more questions at the AFCO now. Cheers.
  6. Ninja_Stoker

I forgot to mention- you can apply for both the RAF & RN simultaneously- if you're lucky enough to pass both, you can make an informed choice.

One thing I do know for certain: RAF Techs currently have approx a 12 month wait for entry (I checked on Friday for someone), RN AETs have about a 4 month wait.
  7. hey thats brilliant thanks
    Will phone tomorrow see how it goes :) :D
  8. Hi, welcome and good luck xx
  9. thanks Jenny
    I've been to the AFCO today and got alot of information which was positive.
    To be honest I think it sounds better for me than the RAF.
    And Ninja Stoker thank u for your help I will now send my application form off and will apply for the RAF and RN simultaneously. :D 8)