Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Tenacious, Jan 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Heya, new here.
    Kinda got stuck in first and then thought I'd better introduce myself here.

2. Welcome to the site mate , enjoy and get stuck in , :wink:

3. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Welcome and enjoy the debate.

4. You don't want to say that with me, I enjoy them a little too much. :twisted:

5. welcome , see you in the forums.

6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

woops, Im a newbie as well, hello to all

7. Welcome to both of you!

Any ??? then feel free to ask.

Don't expect a sensible reply though :wink:

8. wet_blobby

cheers, TD, I wouldnt expect anything less!!

9. Now you ask, about the questions front. Whats initial training like? It's my only fear with the Navy is that I'm gonna suck big time at initial training.

10. wet_blobby

tenacious, dont worry, if you can suck big time you will go far.

11. chieftiff

Initial training is not easy, it's not meant to be! Its purpose is to indoctrinate you into the service, don't panic you won't be brainwashed. You need to understand the ethos of service life, hard work, comraderie, teamwork, honesty and fun. Unless you are joining the Royal Marines training isn't impossible, look at all those who have succeeded before you, it does however require you to do your best, honestly do your best! nothing more but nothing less! Good luck.

12. I think I can do all of those, I'm just a very strong willed person and have been known to speak my mind. I've just got to learn to bite my tongue and put my head down. Thanks for the luck I just might need it.

My grandma is always telling me that the services will brain wash you but having seen my dad go through his short PQO course and come out the other side alright except a broken rib, I think I should be able to do especially as it's something I really want to succeed at.

13. Dont forget to drop by the chatroom,there is usually someone there that can answer a question or three!

14. Brainwashed is the last thing we need. The services, in the main, need people who can think for themselves, think on their feet, take charge of situations they find themselves in and retain their self respect and sense of humour at the same time.

Of the serving and ex serving you'll be hard pushed to find someone who has been.

Basic training helps you on the way, it's not easy, but when you've finished it you'll look back and wonder what you were concerned about.

But you will need to learn to bite your tongue at times, a good thing to learn anyway.

15. chieftiff

Tenacious by name tenacious by nature? A strong will is a good thing, don't be afraid of it and don't lose it because you feel it will help you fit in. A strong will shows a sense of character which is determined to succeed, but!!! Just make sure that your tenacious nature is aimed in the right direction- to the benefit of your team and not self serving- you won't go far wrong.

16. Thanks for all your advice, I say I'll bite my tongue but it'll never work. I said that at the start of my A level course and ended up telling a teacher when to back off, I did the whole of sixth form a favour mind but I think I took her by surprise, because I can be very easy going. More often then not I let things wash over me, but when I've got my mind set no one can push me off course.

17. Hi and welcome to RR!