Newbie worried about test

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Petet, Feb 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all

Ive got my aptitude test coming up on the 27th and I was just wondering if someone who has done the test could give me an example of the questions I should expect. Many people have said that the example questions you recieve when you apply are not as hard as the real thing.

Any advice would be great

2. Rating aptitude tests or Officer Aircrew?
  3. I was up all night studying for my CDT, but I needn't have worried, as it was a piece of piss.
  4. Look at the FAT's thread.
  5. Well, if they ask you to spell receive, you're buggered!
  6. Same if they ask you to punctuate a sentence!
  7. So Joe Clever-clogs; how would you have punctuated my sentence? Do tell.
  8. Can i just ask the people who seem to seek spelling errors... it doesn't really matter does it? I mean its a forum with people seeking advice. Not an english exam!
  9. Well said ON SPELLING did the Afco not give you some sample questions of what to expect look on the Royal Navy website also look at some posts on here as i think someone put some questions on RR
  10. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

But if you can't write propper English like what the rest of us spek, don't expect eny helpfull advise :)
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Indeed, on that eminently respected "Mfat" site, one of the moderators actually goes so far as to edit your post & correct (in red!) your spelling whilst berating your feeble-minded ineptitude.

There's two ways of looking at it:

1. It's constructive, encourages the individual to realise that basic grammar is part of the selection process & therefore a helpful insight to help you pass selection.

2. The moderator is an old duffer with nowt else to do other than bully people.
  12. Of course it bloody well matters! It's your language; if you can't use it properly, you don't belong in a modern intelligent Armed Service like the RN; try the Army instead. And get over it; if you can't take a bit of stick you shouldn't join anyway.
  13. I'm not trying to be a moaning bitch but surely rather than correct his spelling you could use that time to maybe give some advice? If one was rejected for spelling then that is there problem but you guys correcting everyone isn’t going to change anything and will just deter people from asking such questions.

I’d fully understand if someone came on and splt lik ths wth n brain cels whot so evether!!!

And are you really saying that people who are less educated than others should join the army instead? I left school with no GCSE results after being forced to leave school a year early so do I therefore not qualify to join the RN? If this was the case then the RN should not be saying NO formal qualifications required upon joining?

I’m sure you’re not going to lose any sleep over someone’s grammar are you?

Anyway rant over and I will so no more...

**Awaits abuse for the above statement**

14. Bad spelling is one of my pet hates, but compared to some posts I think this one isn't so bad. It's missing some punctuation and he forgot the i before e except after c rule, but at least it wasn't in text speak!

Petet there's loads of information on tips for the test. Use the search function. Basically you want to get a book on psychometric testing and practice against the clock. The questions aren't too hard but you have to work quickly.

Good luck :thumright:
  15. I'm not known for picking people up for their spelling or grammar but I do get pissed off with people asking to be excused for poor spelling. It seems to me Newbies come on here looking for advice at the same time as they demand not to be pulled up for poor spelling. I'm sorry, but if you cannot be arsed to look at the little red line under your text or be bothered to use Word then why should I take your questions seriously?

Too many people think it's cool or 'okay' to be illiterate. It's as though people are saying, 'I cannot spell or write a sentence, but that's not my fault and you should accommodate me', but eny1 can saay, 'So wot, it aint importunt!'

If like me you wish to improve your spelling, then you can, but don't moan when people suggest using a spell check - use it!

P.S. I took time to use the spell checker for the above :)

Pedants Corner xx
  16. If I had known I was going to get abuse for my inexcusable spelling I would not have bothered making this post.

Wardmaster why don’t you stop correcting people and do something useful with your life!
  17. Wardmaster, I must apologise for failing to make myself correctly understood. My comment was aimed at the original poster, and not yourself. (Though in retrospect, you could have put the word 'receive' in inverted commas!) :nemo:
  18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Happy to stand corrected, but I rather suspect the comment regarding spelling was intended a light-hearted aside & hardly something that requires further pause for thought, or in-depth analysis frankly.

It's probably worth taking things with a slight pinch of salt if/when you join, otherwise you'll be a nervous wreck within a matter of days.
  19. Haha, I have just been laughing my head off at the seriousness of this thread. Firstly, spelling and grammar is essential in everyday life, no matter what you are applying for! Secondly, Petet, if your taking this seriously I would have a look at your personality before you apply for the RN/RM, the most important characteristic to have, in my opinion, is the ability to laugh at yourself and to take a joke! It's vital to succeed in any walk of life. My advice.. Just chill and take things with a pinch of salt.
    Too your first question anyway, the aptitude tests are relatively easy. I took mine in January, for Officer selection to the Royal marines and passed.
    Practise the questions they send you, and also, DO NOT spend too much time on one question, its very hard to complete the sections as it is, just do your best and you'll be fine. Post back to let us know how you get on.
  20. Thanks for the advice SB146564