Newbie - Test tomorrow AM...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by grace123, Apr 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all!,
    I have my selection test tomorrow morning and am pretty worried about it! I have swotting up on my maths and seem to have improved a bit but I just can’t help thinking I’m going to fail! I would be distraught! :(

Does anyone know what the pass rate for this test is?! and also how long it would take to get a re-sit?

Thanks,G.x

2. Why does it matter, if you pass then great; if you fail, then better luck next time.

Edit: Forgot to say good luck. Seriously, the probably won't be anywhere near as bad as you expect it to be. Just look at multiplying and dividing fractions as well as multiplying and dividing decimals.

3. because I like to know these things!

4. But it's not going to help you pass. Maybe it will make you feel better if you fail, chances are it'll make you feel worse. Just do the test and be grateful if you pass :)

5. I'm pretty sure it's a different pass rate for different things. What are you going for?

The one bit of advice I took on board which I found worked was to move on straight away if you cant think of the answer to a question instantly (apart form the maths ones if it blatantly needs a bit of pen to paper for some working out first)

(Yeah, I know I'm just another newbie trying to give advice but meh)

6. Thanks guys, i dont think i have ever been this nervous though! im so desperate to pass and i think thats what is making me go a bit crazy - the mechanical comprehension is the part thats really catching me out!

Any tips?

7. Tips? Don't eat yellow snow!

But yes, one tip. If you don't know the answer, guess it. You'll have a 25% chance of getting it right.

Don't dwell too long on one question-the time limits are strict. If you have time left you can always go back and check ones you're unsure of.

8. My test was 26th March so only two weeks ago. Apparently mechanical comprehension is the worst one for everyone nowadays - recruits from the olden days were taught more trade/apprenticeship/tool/hammer type stuff I guess.

I thought I'd find the section relatively okay because I took physics at A-level (only got as far as AS but still got a good knowledge of all things physical) but it didn't help it all. It's basically common sense stuff.

In fact that's the general purpose of the whole thing I reckon, to test your common sense. Best advice I can give, apart from what I said in my last post, is just think... "which answer is the most obvious/makes most sense"

9. thank you! do you think there will be much division?! because i really cant do division, i just dont understand it! shocking i know.

I think im getting myself a bit too worked up now!

x

10. Adding to JaFAA's "which makes most sense", try and look at which ones make te least sense as well :)

11. 1 point - learn how to wire a plug. I got into the test and shat myself, haven't wired one for about 10 years. After about 30 seconds I remember my school boy rhyme:

BLue - Bottom Left
    BRown - Bottom Right

Earth goes in the one remaining one in the middle.

12. Ha. I got that one wrong then.

13. I have never wired one so im glad you mentioned this! :) thanks.

14. thanks Soleil, just tried that UK Civil Service test and got 71% rushing it but looking back at the ones i got wrong they are silly mistakes.

I should probebly go get some sleep though, my test is at 8.30 am!

thanks for all your help, i will let you know how i get on!!!!!

Thanks again.xxx :love2:

15. Good Luck!

16. Good luck.

17. I understand your nerves as my test is on Tuesday!

Good luck and let us know how you do?

18. I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And did well enough to do the engineering!

im ridiculously happy. woooohhhh!

19. Well done, i have me PJFT to go, i have been getting to the gym because the doctor thinks i am a rather unfit candinate lol