newbie saying hello

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by kinny, Jan 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi folks, just saying hello as i've joined this forum with the intention of getting as much info as possible before going into the careers office and getting the ball rolling.

2. Thought i'd add a second post with a bit more info.

Im 27 and have been considering the Royal Navy for a while now as a second option to joining the Fire Service but after doing lots of research into the Fire Service i've decided that I'd be happier pursueing the Navy as my first choice.

I currently work nights in a big but quiet hotel so i have pleny of time to trawl the forums for info, that said if anyone wants to point me in the direction of anything i might find useful then please feel free.

If there's any more info i can add please ask.

all the best.

3. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Kinny,

There is a lot of useful info in this forum and lots of questions have been asked. Please trawl through the threads as i'm pretty sure that the question you have in your head may well have been done to death. That will save you getting torn a new one from the loonies on here!! Saying that, Ninja Stoker has the patience of a saint and is extremely helpful. Welcome aboard mate and good luck with your career.

4. must pass a pre joining fitness test
    here are the times

Age 15-24 M- 12:20 F- 14:35
    Age 25-29 M- 12:48 F- 15:13
    Age 30-34 M- 13:18 F- 15:55
    Age 35-39 M- 13:49 F- 16:40

5. if you want to join the navy...

as a serving member and have had years of gripes from new lads that have completed their training..
    ENSURE you do your own proper research into the job you want to do...make sure you ask about ALL the bad points about the job as well as the good and not (with respect) go on exclusively what the AFCO will tell you

some jobs look very good on paper and completely dog shit in the real world..and vica versa

6. What trades are you interested in?

If you are into fire fighting, Stoker or Aircraft Handler would be a good starting point.

If you are more interested in starting fires and blowing stuff up then the Dabber route might be more up your street.

Remember all the jobs in the RN involve serious amounts of multi-tasking, be prepared to wear lots of different hats, in six years as an Operator Mechanic (Warfare) I did all of the following jobs and would say I am fairly proficient at all of them:

Fire fighter.
    Ship driver.
    Small boat driver.
    Armed security guard.
    Electrician.
    Communicator.
    Radar operator.
    Systems engineer.
    Tour guide.
    Kitchen porter.
    Deck hand.
    Anti-aircraft gunner.
    Ceremonial guard.
    Armourer.

And of course not forgetting a lot of:

Painter and decorator.
    Cleaner.

7. pretty sure every who leaves the navy comes out as a qualified painter and decorator.

8. Welcome to the site. If your thinking of joining the elite :wink: go surface world first.

9. Welcome kinny, if you have not already done so, check out the FAQ's in the sticky section.

10. woha that is alot of things to learn, I aspire to become that good in the Navy one day :)

11. Cheers for all the welcomes and advice guys.

Im not really specifically interested in any career path which i guess is a good and bad thing really.

Fire fighting was something i wanted to do a couple of years ago but in civ. street and i seem to remember the pay for Navy FF wasn't all that appealing even after x amount of years?

Submariner was something i looked at but again its one of the things you look at at the time and think "yeah thats cool i could be a submariner" but its not something i looked into any deeper at the time.

I'll be sure to check all the relevent FAQ sections and such before i no doubt come and pester you good people for good/bad points and such.

All the best, John

12. Are the firefighter not just "volunteers" from other parts of the ship?

13. No.

14. Fair one. The way it was explained to me, it came across that way.

15. Wooo the only way forward... Start at the top and your never look back

16. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

So are all gang plank sentries bootnecks because they've got a bangstick? :wink:

17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Concur.

By far the best unbiased opinion is that of a member of your family or a mate who is/was serving.

As with most jobs, the employer tends not to draw your attention to all the negative aspects in preference to the positive aspects. This is reflected in the glossy literature with the pretty pictures. From an AFCO perspective we do try to advise/warn the menial aspects of the job, but often the prospective joiner suffers from selective hearing.

In times of surplus applicants (such as now) a potential joiner is more likely to be informed with a bias toward the negative aspects of the job, so that only those determined to join actually do so.

Have to say I rather like (& agree) with the diverse range of jobs listed, I'd also add General Labourer "Lifter & Shifter".

18. Just for you Tim.

A break down of fire fighting in the RN which I have written all by myself.

Every member of the ship's company must be in date for a BSSC (Basic Sea Safety Course) or ISSC (Intermediate Sea Safety Course). Part of the course involves a three day fire fighting package, involving the use of breathing apparatus and an introduction to the different types of fire fighting equipment found on board. The course involves learning to combat different types of fires and carry out re-entries into burning compartments from above, below and on the same deck. You will also learn the principles of boundary cooling in adjacent compartments to the fire. There is usually a half day 'whole ship' fire at the end of the three days, involving a few different fires in different compartments and perhaps the odd casualty. The course is generally good fun and involves fairly realistic fire scenarios in large mock up ships at HMS Excellent. Many civvy shipping firms use the facility for their crew training as it is regarded as one of the best in the World.

Once you get on board you will be organised into a duty watch while alongside. On a Destroyer this means that approximately every four days you will be on duty and will not be allowed off the ship. You will have some specific tasks depending on your trade i.e. you maybe the Bosun's mate, carrying out armed sentry duties on the gangway or a WE roundsman carrying out hourly inspections of WE compartments. As a secondary role while you are duty, you will be given a fire fighting job, this means you will have a few BA sets to look after, ensuring they are stowed correctly and fully charged. If there is a fire, you will assume the fire fighting role you have been given. This could be anything from initial attack party, who get to the scene of the fire ASAP and attempt to fight it with extinguishers, to containment party who carry out boundary cooling of the adjacent compartments. Other roles include BA controller and First Aider but these are usually filled by the S&S department.

At sea there is a standing sea fire party who are on call in case of a fire, usually they are not allowed to consume alcohol while fulfilling this role. In reality if there is a fire at sea, the whole ship will go to emergency stations and everyone will get stuck in, filling whichever jobs need filling. On average there will be a small fire exercise every few days and a large whole ship fire exercise every fortnight or so. This means everyone's fire fighting skills remain fresh. The exercises vary from compartment to compartment so that everyone can gain experience fighting different types of fires, a fire in an engine room is completely different to a fire in a mess deck for instance and the type of fire and location of equipment will completely control the way you fight it.

Separately to this Aircraft Handlers do an advanced fire fighting package involving different equipment for fighting aircraft fires. While based at air stations the Aircraft Handlers do roughly the same job as the civvy airport fire brigades. On ship the Chief Stoker is usually the daddy when it comes to fire fighting, he maintains all the equipment and he is the expert that the command will seek advice from in the event of a fire. He is also responsible for keeping people's training up to date. As a result of this, Stokers tend to fill the more technical fire fighting jobs onboard like support party. During the fire strikes in '02, Chief Stokers and Chief Aircraft Handlers acted as crew chiefs due to their advanced knowledge and experience.

So to re-iterate:

Everyone onboard does fire fighting from the Skipper down, whether it be in a command capacity or more hands on job. You do not volunteer for fire fighting jobs, they are just part and parcel of your normal job.

19. :roll: And another additive :roll: Tim!!! to the above, in the old and bold navy Rule 1 you never ever volunteered for anything Rule 2 you would never ever be late for Payment Rule 3 Never Ever S*** your Oppos Wife :wink: :wink: Ps Kinny....... Chockhead for you :wink: :wink:

20. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

So, in short , Trumpton meets Captain Pugwash. Hugh, Pew, Barney Mcrew, Cuthberth Dribble and Jack.