Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by PierreDupont, Aug 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys. A newbie who wants to join here.

Couple of questions first.

1) How long is the wait from being accepted to joining? I would need to give my job notice, but I don't want them to know about the Royal Navy in case I get the sack.

2) What's the best for seeing the world? I've heard the Submariners spend time ashore, whereas Surface Fleet Sailors tend to stay with the ship when travelling.

3) I know this may sound dumb, but I've had near enough the same hairstyle all my life, which is long. I know you see films where guys are having their heads shaved and all that, but is that for real in the forces? I've had long hair since I was 9 and would be really strange to have it all short after 10 years. I mean, girls can have it long, so why can't the men? So is it compulsory for men to have it short? Or is it just a *STRONG* recommendation by your superiors?

Obviously 3 wouldn't want to stop me joining, but it would still be nice to know I can keep my locks :thumright:

2. Jesus Wept, are you for real Goldilocks? FFS can someone provide a sticky for these Morons.

3. 1. Haven't a clue these days. Someone else will know and answer.
    2. Ships are probably better for seeing the world. You have to be able to go out on deck to see something and ships tend to do more port visits.
    3. You will have to cut your hair. Get used to the idea but having it all off isn't mandatory; they will just expect it to be short (grade two back and sides and not too long on top / fringe should do it).

Q: What's with the bloody frog login name??

SF

4. You are joking...right?

5. Bad news old chap:

One must have one's pubes trimmed to the regulation length.

One's goldilocks must be curtailed into a nice little crew cut because those bad ass stokers like nothing better than to :censored:

Turn up one's collar when going on flight deck - sunburn, bitch!

Submariners - drink beer through their own socks after a long deployment (2 days?). Filthy beasts. And they like the sound of dolphins shagging! Weird or what?

And finally, lose the frenchie bit, doesn't go down well with the boys.

China.

6. A couple of tips:

1. Try to avoid p*ssing off the rest of the forum with questions that have already been asked so many times before.

2. Use the Search button to see if your question has already been answered before posting it.

You might want to browse through the Basic Training hints and tips first - HERE

7. Whoa chill out guys. I only asked about hair and it's not that big a deal, it can go if I get in.

Oh and that French name is a character off something you wouldn't be interested in.

So are everyone in the Navy as feisty as you lot?

HigThePig, there was no need for that comment. I'm only seeking advice.

Jealous because somebody still has their hair? lol

I'm leaning more towards the Submarines as it's better pay and I'm better in a close knit environment.

So do Submariners get to see places at all? I do know you have to be in the Fleet Submarines to see abroad. But how many days in total, if you added them all together, would you say you spend in foreign lands each year?

8. This is exactly what pisses me off. GO TO THE RECRUITING OFFICE and ask them, or as you have already been advised, READ THE THREADS It`s all there.

9. Well what the hell do you think this site is for Hig?

Taken from the opening page:

"The heart of Rum Ration is the Navy and Marine forums where almost anything can be discussed from naval ship design through to what Marines do with rollmats and significantly worse"

If you don't like my questions, don't post.

Au Revoir !!!

10. If it's seeing the world you want to do then submarines aren't the way to do it, as for your other questions especially with regard to hair, AAAAARGHHHHHH!!!

It is not the fact you are asking questions that is annoying people Pierre it's the fact that they've all been answered here before many times over.

11. Hey Pierre, ask about a queue. It means you can keep your hair.

Hig would be the best to get an answer from, isn't it Hig?

12. With regards to the hair, isn't there still that crazy regulation that you can have long hair provided that its is tied back and the end is tared buy the Master at Arms or EWO or who ever????????? you could try that one on the instructors at Raliegh! LOL

13. "So do Submariners get to see places at all? I do know you have to be in the Fleet Submarines to see abroad. But how many days in total, if you added them all together, would you say you spend in foreign lands each year?"

Not enough these days and increasingly less as our lords and masters try and save money. Do not join the submarine service if you wish to "see the world" on a regular basis and no-one should go into subs without first spending some time in general service, imho.

14. Couple of answers :

1) How long is the wait from being accepted to joining? Would assume it depends on what trade you apply/get accepted for

2) What's the best for seeing the world? I've heard the Submariners spend time ashore, whereas Surface Fleet Sailors tend to stay with the ship when travelling - BIG CLUE - Submarines spend a lot of time UNDER WATER, you wont see much of the world

3) I know this may sound dumb, but I've had near enough the same hairstyle all my life, which is long. I know you see films where guys are having their heads shaved and all that, but is that for real in the forces? Go to your hairdresser and ask for a No.4 - that should keep them happy...

But has your mummy given you permission to go and dont forget to pack your safety blanket.....

15. "So are everyone in the Navy as feisty as you lot?"

You will find that most of the people who post on this forum are no longer regulars in the Navy. That does not mean, of course, that they cannot offer sensible advice. However "hair" - have you ever seen a photo of a RN matelot with long hair ??????????? :thumright:

16. Oh ref seeing the world, It seems the frigates get the best trips!!! I was on Ocean for two years and the furthest we went was the US for a couple of weeks! It seems the Navy dont like loosing sight of capital ships with bootnecks on!!!!! Damn them all to hell!!!!!

17. Pierre,

One thing you have to understand is that RR members are only too happy to advise people and to answer questions on Phase 1 training, especially those of us still serving and those who are no longer serving, but who have shedloads of valuable experience.

However, for the more common questions there are stickies at the top of the page that will answer all these. If the answer isn't there, a search of the other forums will provide an answer, especially the branch specific ones.

You will find that if the same questions get asked by potential recruits over and over again, a lot of people become annoyed as it is pretty obvious that they haven't bothered to read all the excellent info that has been posted.

18. At the same time guys giving a link to said information, or simply telling them to look at the stickys without sounding so frustrated has to be the way forward here. AFCO's can be quite far away and officers not allways on hand for newbies.

Even if they have come here to ask a silly question i see no reason why anyone, especially HigthePig should be so hostile so often to newbies, funnily enough this is the newbie forum where stupid questions should be able to be asked in safety!

If you can't answer constructively then don't answer at all, hostility to newbies not only gives the forum a bad name but also cast a bad light on the RN for those who could be thinking of joining.

As for the question - you could be selected at any point over a year period after your AIB interview success, but you should get a months notice on most occasions before you begin training. I would assume a warship would be better for seeing the world and a controlled haircut is mandatory.

19. Great statement! Very tactful James!

20. When I joined in '54, it was a case of 'Hair today, gone tomorrow'.

Jerry