Newbie Questions: Life at sea

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Pandemican, May 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A few daft questions I've been curious about, I have no idea what to expect in alot of ways, I'm currently applying and have passed my RT and medical so far, and I have my PJFT this afternoon.

I know alot of this depends on what kind of vessel you are on and how long you are away and what specific role you have but...
    Just out of interest:
    1. What rules and restrictions are there in terms of personal items and how likely are you to find time to make use of them? I'm talking mainly books, laptops, hand held game consoles, portable dvd players etc for what free time is going.
    2. What kind of fitness facilities are commonly available on most ships? I realise this will vary depending on size of the ship but do most have a small gym room or something to that effect or somewhere to workout?
    3. What rules and restrictions are there on eating? I know it sounds silly but, are you restricted to eating when you are told to and eat what they give you? Or are you allowed a small stash of snacks etc to keep with your things for when you are off duty?

Silly questions I know but just thought I'd ask, cheers!

2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

.... Oh dear.....

I hope you have a thick skin young padwan.....

3. They're going to eat me alive aren't they :p ...ah well, got a lot to learn and that haha...nah I can happily live without my creature comforts, just thought I'd ask here rather than make a tool out of myself in person. I was wondering mostly about the working out bit, do any ships have a free weights area for use during limited amounts of free time?

4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Chill, they're floating palaces with every creature comfort taken care of, every meal a banquet every pay cheque a fortune. You'll be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Liar, liar, pants on fire....

6. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

You'll get your own en suite bedroom, so plenty of room for a flatscreen and all your toys.

You'll be too busy getting pissed to be worried about the gym. But if your are one of those werido's, then Arnie would be impressed.

They have a 24hr shop which stocks everything from kitkats to condoms. There was talk about a fast food outlet, but I think that was shitcanned.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Well as you asked so nicely perhaps I could help,
    The best way to wile away the time when you are off watch is with computer games …best played whilst laying in your pit with an XBox and a 52inch plasma….if you can’t run to that you will find most of the computers in the ops room have windows loaded so just pop in your favourite game and crack on….oh. don’t forget to use earphones so as not to annoy the watch keepers….

Most if not all ships have an exercise area running from stem to stern…its commonly called the Burma Road …good not only for speed sprints but it will also challenge your alertness, jumping and dodging obstacles….

Food is important and you will be provided with three good meals a day …however as a growing lad you might feel the need for a late night snack to get you off to sleep….if this is the case seek out the senior rate in charge of the galley and ask him to provide you with a bagmeal at bedtime ….

Hope this helps

8. I have to tell you that all is not perfect when at sea.
    In the main you will be able to get on and enjoy yourself doing most of what you choose.
    Unfortunately there is always a down side. People will badger you to join in their games, and ask you to help them, which is annoying , and really can be disruptive to the day to day routine you set for yourself.
    But to be fair, officers and the Navy, do not always realise they spoil everything.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  9. I'm in a good mood this afternoon waiting for stuff to end on ebay so ...

1. What rules and restrictions are there in terms of personal items and how likely are you to find time to make use of them? I'm talking mainly books, laptops, hand held game consoles, portable dvd players etc for what free time is going.

People have all of the above onboard. While 52 inch plasmas wont fit in your bunkspace I have seen more than a few 19 inch setups with xboxes etc. (Obviously in date for electrical testing so I don't have to cut off the plugs). Freetime will depend on branch and what the ship is doing. You will get some from time to time.

2. What kind of fitness facilities are commonly available on most ships? I realise this will vary depending on size of the ship but do most have a small gym room or something to that effect or somewhere to workout?

Most have various equipment in imaginative spaces around the ship. There isn't normally room for a specific gym area, but you will find treadmills, rowing machines, cross trainers etc in various flats and spaces. Every ship has its weights bosuns.

3. What rules and restrictions are there on eating? I know it sounds silly but, are you restricted to eating when you are told to and eat what they give you? Or are you allowed a small stash of snacks etc to keep with your things for when you are off duty?

Yes you can as long as they are stored hygenically. Messdecks have fridges that can be used for storing in date food that is properly packaged / contained. It never ceases to amaze me how much people will spend on food from the naafi when there is perfectly good food on the counter in the dining hall. Their choice though.

10. Don't 19 inch flatscreens go missing if their left in the bunkspaces?

11. Not if you lock them away and if it does go missing nick someone else's, same applies to your kit.

12. sounds like you should try and join the RFA instead!

13. A friend of mine did....his only comment...'a right pain in the arse'.....not sure what that meant.
    :)

14. I was wondering about a few of these questions myself as i am a keen weight lifter for a toned body etc, is it still possible to do some kind of weight lifting when you've passed all your training? and are drafted out to sea?

15. am sure they will have them at phase 2 training.

16. Not if they are secured for sea. Also you'd be a brave man to try to nick someones TV out of the Zoo.

17. You ain't seen me right!

• Like Like x 1