Newbie question

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by BigMike, Dec 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi There,

This has probably been asked and answered a million times but i just want to clear it up.
    I am currently looking into joining the RN but have a slight problem, i get hayfever during the summer which gives me a bit of a tight chest sometimes and last year i had to get a prescription for an inhaler to relieve the symptoms. i know they say you cant join unless you've been clear for over 4 years but i was just wondering if anyone knows of ways around this, do they look into your medical records deeply? would they take the fact that i do not suffer from it all year round and have only ever had to be prescribed for an inhaler once in my lifetime? any advice or info would be appreciated!

2. Honesty is the best policy.

Best of luck.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

When you fill out the medical questionnaire, you also give consent for your medical records to be released from your GP.

You must therefore declare all medical conditions listed or face having an application rejected for fraudulently withholding information from the outset.

As long as your GP is happy confirming that you were wrongly prescribed an inhaler within the last four years, you pass the peak flow reading during your medical examination & you can pass a four week "Peak Flow Diary" (if necessary) then there is nothing to worry about unduly.

Good luck

If the Peak Flow diary indicates a borderline condition, you will undergo a lung funtion test if needs be,
  4. Hi Guys,

Thanks for the answers, i was not looking to lie about it which is why i came here to find out more, i guess the best thing to do is speak to my careers officer and Dr, its just a bit of a pain in the arse when you've got your heart set on joining only to have this in the way!
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If you've genuinely not got asthma, then you have the opportunity to prove it, so will only be inconvenienced.

The problem with asthma is that it's a life threatening condition which people can & do die from. As a duty of care to the individual and those whose lives may depend on that individual performing at 100% regardless of extremes in altitude, climate & exertion, we have to apply stringent rules.

Best of luck, hope your bottom gets better too. :wink:
  6. thanks for the advice, its been very helpful!