Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Sole, Dec 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hi there, would possibly like to know more about the UY scheme, in context to my job of interest, MA (SM). It seems a small branch from the outside, and was just wondering whether you can be an officer as a MA later when experience is built. Setting targets for myself is a big thing for me, as it keeps me largely motivated and i would be very interested in the UY scheme and working my way 'from the bottom' so to speak.

    It looks as though that to advance up the UY scheme i would have to change my job within my branch to ODP, Nursing officers or medical officer etc? However i haven't been able to find enough information on it.

    Thanks in advance
  2. I know a POMA(SM) who went SUY so it is possible. He never had to change his job either. I couldn't be sure of his exact job title now, but he is working within the Health Physics organisation as a Lt. What traiining he did after BRNC I don't know off hand.
    There must be somebody within your chain of command who can tell you these things. Are you in Devonport or Faslane?

    Edited 'cause I've just re-read your post. Sorry, if I misunderstood you. Are you considering joining as an MA(SM)? If so the AFCO should be able to answer your question I would have thought. If not, PM me and I shall ask my oppo when I return to work in the new year.
  3. Only passed the RT test so far, my interview is in January some time hopefully. I know its a little early to think about this sort of thing, but id like to know that i could progress to an officer stage in my career without changing my job. You never know, i might fancy a change by then, but id like to dig in my research now so that i don't regret turning up something later on in training (Long phase 2 training).

    Thank you for your answer.

    Best regards
  4. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    If you are academically qualified, you may apply to become a Warfare or Logistics officer from within the service, however whether the Medical Services Officer still exists as a potential entry route from qualified Medical Assistants is unlikely as it no longer seems to be advertised. Happy to stand corrected if anyone knows different.

    To become a Nursing Officer, you must be a Registered Nurse with at least two years' post-registration experience, not a Medical Assistant. A further professional qualification will give you an added advantage.
  5. My oppo went to Dartmouth in 2006. I've no idea if he's a Medical Services Officer or some sort of specialist Health Physics Officer. As I said he was a POMA(SM), so had a background in health physics before transferring. Don't know if perhaps he could transfer because of that, which would explain why it's not advertised as a direct entry career. I don't suppose too many applicants have spent much time carrying out HP monitoring and radiological protection duties before joining.
    I'm not sure what academic qualifications he held before transferring either.

    Having said all that, I'm no expert on these things and don't want the original poster to think it's easy to go UY/SUY from MA. My oppo is the only MA I personally know of who's done it. If I remember in the new year I'll ask him.
  6. My old man is a POMA(SM), I'll ask him and get back to you. I know a CPO that we know is going SUY and off to dartmouth soon but as what I'm not sure.
    Let me go wake him up and ask!
  7. Right, just spoke to the old man.
    If you are MA(SM) you can upper yardy as Health Physics Officer or Medical Admin Officer. MAO is more paperwork orientated that clinical though and Obviously Health physics side does what it says on the tin!
    Anymore questions I'll ask him!
  8. Thanks to all posters so far for any information given, its helping a great deal. Ninja, could your please explain the UY scheme in any detail.. or link me to somewhere, where it would explain. I understand the Rating to Officer part but don't understand the time scale nor requirements.

    Mrselvis, if you could check your pms and hopefully ill send some more questions along about MA's in general if thats ok?

    Thanks again,
    Best regards
  9. Hey guys. Im new to all this kinda thing. Im thinking about joinin the forces but i want to look around to find out which ones best for me. Could you point me in the right directions or if you have any advise :D. Cheers. N x
  10. What do you want to do would be a start.
  11. Suggest you start your own thread and not piggy back someone elses, can get confusing for us oldies!!!!! two questions in one thread from two seperate peeps!
  12. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    Sorry, missed your question...

    Basically any trained Rating under 26 can apply to become an Officer (Upper Yardsman) providing they have 5 GCSE's A*-C (including Maths & English). If over 26 (Senior Upper Yardsman), you need only 4 GCSE's A*-C (including Maths & English), Gawd knows why - but probably because you will already have service management expereince.

    You need to have completed phase two training, be recommended from sea, by your Reporting Officer to attend the Admiralty Interview Board & hold the necessary additional qualifications (degrees) for trades such as Engineering (unless the service agrees to sponsor you through your degree), Training Management, Medical Officer & Padre. You are then selected in competition with all other applicants for that particular trade.

    The timescales involved depend on the individual, but an AIB pass is only valid for 12 months, so if you aren't selected within that year, you need to re-take to be in contention the following year.
  13. Thanks ninja, cleared alot up for me.

Share This Page