Newbie needs some help

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Kelborn, Jan 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all! Newbie on the forums(which probably means I've posted in the wrong place and insulted all the veterans by using the wrong size font) . I have a question pertaining to the AFCOs and the recruitment process in general, I live in Spain at the mo and am looking into joining the Navy, I was wondering how much of the process I can get done before having to make a trip back to blighty and of course if I'd be able to join from Spain.

I'm in my last year at university, should graduate in June at the latest. I'd like to know other people's experiences of when they applied, is it worth applying now before I've finished. Or would I be better advised to get it all wrapped up and done before applying?

Help is greatly appreciated :)
  2. I dont know much about joining when your abroad... so wont be much help

But i thought it was somehting like you had to have been in the UK for the past 5years to join or something?
  3. I'll explain some more for clarification. I was born in the UK and am a UK citizen. When I was 11 my parents decided to move to Spain and dragged me out to the land of sangria and bullfighting. I've maintained my UK citizenship/passport thoughout the period and have single nationality still. Now I'm 21 and looking to join up, of course I'll get in touch with an AFCO to clear things up when I get a chance, I was just wondering if anyone had any info.

THanks again for any help.

@Topaz, I'd read something like 3 years, but considering but my circumstances are hardly standard. Thanks though.
  4. Ninja_Stoker will be able to help you when he comes online
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hi welcome to Rum Ration

Requirements are as follows:

For entry into the Naval Service a candidate must, at all times since birth, fall into
    one of the following Nationality categories:
    a. British Citizen.
    b. Dual British/Commonwealth, British/Irish, British/Other citizenship.
    c. Irish or Commonwealth citizen.
    d. Dual Commonwealth / Commonwealth, Commonwealth/other Irish/
    Commonwealth or Irish/Other nationality.

Warfare Branch must be British or Dual British, not Commonwealth. As you state you are a British Passport holder, then you should be OK on Nationality, but may require a residency waiver. If you contact the overseas desk at London AFCO, they will advise accordingly: London AFCO

The Residency requirement is part of the Security Clearance procedure and is irrespective of the Nationality of the candidate. The residency status of the candidate's parents or partner is not considered.

Unless satisfactory security checks can be carried out in the candidates’ country of residence, candidates for entry into the Naval Service should normally have resided in the UK for a minimum of five years immediately prior to making an application. In certain circumstances, particularly where an applicant is of UK origin, a shorter period of residence may be accepted.

Good luck!
  6. Oh great, thanks for the links to London Overseas AFCO, I had been reading around on the navy website and over the forums but I must have missed the overseas desk. Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice.

I need all the luck I can get :D
  7. welcome babe --- good luck and enjoy the site xxxxxxxxxxB H
  8. Hello and Welcome Kelborn!

I have been living in New Zealand for the last 3 years and I started the application process when I was back in the UK for Christmas. I kept in touch with my AFCO and they were great!. I flew in on the Wednesday, had my aptitude test on the Thursday, my interview and medical on the Monday, and if it wasn't for my slightly dodgy ticker which the doctors just need to give the ok on, then I am sure I would have been done and dusted by the middle of the week!

Best of luck!

9. IIRC there is an AFCO in Gib? I may be mistaken....
  10. Ninja_Stoker

No there isn't, but Portsmouth AFCO make flying visits annually.

If anyone wants to be recruited from Gib, PM me & I'll be on the plane as quick as possible. (Subject to my boss saying yes, the Pope saying: "No problemo" and my missus granting overnight leave).
  11. Just for information, do the channel islands count as UK for residency purposes. I've been in Guernsey for 12 months but I've lived in the UK the rest of my life. Will this slow down my application?
  12. N-S, and how soon after landing would you be in the Flip-Flop.....?
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Assuming I'm not kept waiting at baggage reclaim, about 12 to 15 minutes I reckon. :drunken:

A Yes

B No, however to confirm this speak direct with Plymouth AFCO as they cover the Channel Islands under their recruiting area.
  14. Loafer - I thought you were supposed to be an ME SR?! ;)
  15. Ninja_Stoker

OK, rather than walk, I'd share a taxi if there was an Officer that could prove he had money in his wallet BEFORE the journey. In that unlikely event... 2 minutes.[​IMG]
  16. I'd have money - but not Giblets! Anyway, everyone knows it's a senior rates duty to take the engineering dhod's out and get them thoroughly rat-arsed before telling them "they're not bad, really, considering your an officer and all". Swiftly followed by chicken on a fist and a drunken walk back to south mole.....

Or was that just me?
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Hmmmn, we must've served on the same ship...