Newbie needing a little help, please!

Hi everybody! A little cheeky, but I wonder if any of you guys out there could help me? I am currently framing up my sons great-grandfathers medals for him. Of the 3 that served, I have info that I need but my wife's grandfather is a bit of a mystery. All I have is a photo of him in uniform, his campaign medals (39-45 star, atlantic star & war medal), his name and d.o.b. All I really want to know is his service number and the ship he sailed on. Any ideas?

Attachments

Firth

Hi everybody! A little cheeky, but I wonder if any of you guys out there could help me? I am currently framing up my sons great-grandfathers medals for him. Of the 3 that served, I have info that I need but my wife's grandfather is a bit of a mystery. All I have is a photo of him in uniform, his campaign medals (39-45 star, atlantic star & war medal), his name and d.o.b. All I really want to know is his service number and the ship he sailed on. Any ideas?
If you look on the National Archives website under Independent Researchers, you'll find a researcher called Brian Horton. Link here: Independent researchers | The National Archives . It would probably be out of place for me to post his contact details directly on here, so I've just included the link. He's actually former RN himself and now works as a freelance naval historian, consultant and researcher. I would throughly recommend him. He helped me considerably with my own research.

soleil

War Hero
Welcome to Rum Ration.

All you need to do is complete these forms and forward them with the necessary enclosures to Portsmouth; you should then be able to recieve a copy of the gentleman's Service Record.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...rvice_details_nok_application_part1_v5_1_.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...service_details_rnrm_application_part2_1_.pdf

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Newbie needing info Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
B Newbie needing advice and guidance:P :) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
Lily jade Newbie Here The Corps 13
J GS or Boats. Newbie question from an older guy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
B Joining the Navy as a graduate engineer- newbie alert Joining the Royal Navy 7
R Complete Newbie here, I've got a question to ask, and asking for some tips for the RN interview. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
R Complete Newbie here, I've got a question to ask, and asking for some tips for the RN interview. The Quarterdeck 2
craigb302 Newbie to submarine service (hopefully) need help understanding navy pay ? Submariners 16
B A few questions (medical/qualification related) from a newbie Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Blackrat Important Newbie Info Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
Rumrat Bedding and the Iron (Not a newbie fest) The Gash Barge 20
G Newbie Submariners 5
H Newbie. Pay/Length of a deployment? Submariners 19
P Newbie Tony Floyd (Pinky) from Wantage Oxordshire Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
A Newbie in need of friendly advice/mocking! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
Muppet89 Newbie here! (sort of!) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
K I'm a newbie & need help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
SerkJ Newbie Here Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Rumrat Newbie's Navy. Diamond Lil's 4
P Newbie Questions: Life at sea Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
A newbie with questions The Fleet Air Arm 38
deano232 Newbie - Applying for Medical Assistant Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
N Another Newbie! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Betty Swollocks Another Newbie Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
M Newbie WAG :) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
McSkimp Newbie Question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
Powder I feel like a MASSIVE newbie asking this but... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 30
R Newbie :) what jobs are currently recruiting Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
fathaggis Newbie medical question Health & Fitness 123
fishcakebreadcake Hello from an old newbie Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
BillyNoMates The wonderful world of the Newbie Thread. Diamond Lil's 2
D Newbie to the site Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
Scrintzen_Doofer Newbie - Only just found you!!!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
Navy_Panda Newbie to Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
N Another Newbie! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
D Newbie! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 50
v8topcat An old newbie Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
K Newbie Here Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
M NEWBIE MEDICAL HELP - DENTAL!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
PROPMAN NEWBIE Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
S Newbie - a few medical questions if you would please= ] Health & Fitness 17
G newbie Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
A Newbie papping himself!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Louisa_Wren Newbie! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 62
D Advice on knowledge for a newbie. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9