Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Newbie needing a little help, please!

Hi everybody! A little cheeky, but I wonder if any of you guys out there could help me? I am currently framing up my sons great-grandfathers medals for him. Of the 3 that served, I have info that I need but my wife's grandfather is a bit of a mystery. All I have is a photo of him in uniform, his campaign medals (39-45 star, atlantic star & war medal), his name and d.o.b. All I really want to know is his service number and the ship he sailed on. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Image0302.jpg
    Image0302.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 75
Hi everybody! A little cheeky, but I wonder if any of you guys out there could help me? I am currently framing up my sons great-grandfathers medals for him. Of the 3 that served, I have info that I need but my wife's grandfather is a bit of a mystery. All I have is a photo of him in uniform, his campaign medals (39-45 star, atlantic star & war medal), his name and d.o.b. All I really want to know is his service number and the ship he sailed on. Any ideas?

If you look on the National Archives website under Independent Researchers, you'll find a researcher called Brian Horton. Link here: Independent researchers | The National Archives . It would probably be out of place for me to post his contact details directly on here, so I've just included the link. He's actually former RN himself and now works as a freelance naval historian, consultant and researcher. I would throughly recommend him. He helped me considerably with my own research.

Welcome to Rum Ration.

All you need to do is complete these forms and forward them with the necessary enclosures to Portsmouth; you should then be able to recieve a copy of the gentleman's Service Record.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...rvice_details_nok_application_part1_v5_1_.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...service_details_rnrm_application_part2_1_.pdf

Latest Threads