NEWBIE MEDICAL HELP - DENTAL!!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by MTAYLOR, Apr 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello.
    I'm new to this, was hoping someone out there would be able to help me.

I'm looking to join the Submarine Service as a Marine Engineer and I have my medical coming up soon. My dental standards aren't really anything to be proud about.
    I've had three teeth extractions, two were nasty cracks that I didn't get seen and they cracked again and the other was due to a wisdom tooth pushing it out of line. apart from that I have a few fillings. And one root canal which has quite a hefty filling in it.

So like I say nothing to be really proud about, although I still have a nice smile, just not much left at the back of my mouth. :oops:

I recently visited my dentist and she didn't want to see me for another 6 months so I was hoping someone would be able to enliten me about the Medical / joining standards regarding Dental health.
    Also she mentioned implants to me, which i admit sounded an attractive proposition, but I wasn't sure if this would cause a problem with my joining.

any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. You'll get a dental check at Raleigh and they'll sort you out if there's anything needs doing if your going for boats. As submariners don't do the pressurised ascent in the escape tank anymore I'm not sure if there is such a great emphasis on perfect teeth these days.

Standing by to be corrected.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

To be honest, as long as there's nothing immediately apparent at the AFCO Medical Examination during the cursory perusal of your gob, like you hand him your teeth in a glass, there's not too much to fret about.

If the Medical Examiner recoils, letting out a girly shriek, then possibly you will need to have a check-up/dental treatment before being passed fit.

The Fang Farrier (Dentist) will 're-shuffle' your teeth after joining if needs be.

4. unfortunately i have a terrible set of gnashers so to hear i probaly wont get booted out because of them is a big relief :p

5. Mrs Digger is a Dental hygienist in the RN. PM me your worries and I will ask her opinion on your dental problems.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If you haven't passed the medical examination yet, it's not uncommon to be medically deferred until you complete a course of civilian dental treatment before being passed fit.

Assuming you have passed the medical examination, then the service sorts them. In fact if they're that bad, why not post your teeth on ahead to Mrs Digger, so they're sorted before you join?

7. passed the medical ages ago and nothings been said about them so im assuming theyll be fine