Newbie Here

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Krakeder9, Apr 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good morning, I just joined this forum now.

Before I was very cocky going into my recruit test thinking this is easy i have done this a million times at school and my head was full of ideas on how I'm going to winder in there and become aircrew with no trouble at all, but I have failed my maths section and i have taken more than my share of humble pie in the following week along with a lot of bitching and felling bad for myself.

Now i see if i want to joining the fleet air arm officers club i don't need to want it, i need to work hard for it. as to summarise myself up right now, fat teenager with acne just starting to fade away.

Physicality i have picked a good old fashioned 1500 calire a day diet coupled with regular 1-2 hour gym sessions 2-3 times a week, and I am slowly losing weight, 4 kg down so far, i just need to get myself into the BMI green zone and run a descent time for the PJFT to get to where i want to be.

A few question for the experts on here.

- Besides my plan to go to private maths tuition over the summer after my A/s levels, are there any other practical ways to improve my aptitude.
    So far i have just gone and bought one of Those hand-held devices with the Japanese man to make you brain age younger. For me i failed on the fact i could not keep up with the speed, not the difficulty of the Q's

- Will acne be problematic in my medical, i have taken minocycline which dries my skin out to break down the spots for nearly a year now, but with no permanent side effects.

- While im studying hard has anyone got experience in OASC cranwell, and what the Royal any people are put up against, physics wise im on the ball as i have taken it for as so S=D/T and equations of motion im on the ball for, and my reaction times are on the ball with a lifetimes experience of video games and flight sims games.

Thank you if you found any of my life story so far interesting, i hope wasting time in these forums will help me along 8)

2. Firstly, Officer Selection for the Royal Navy is at the Admiralty Interview Board at HMS Sultan. The FATs (flying aptitude tests) are done at Cranwell. Finally, though....good luck.

3. Thank you very much,
    i did watch an interesting youtube video 2 part video documentary of what exactly went on in the AIB over the 3 days, although it was pretty old, with all the officer and ratings at the centre using ancient computers

4. It's actually a pretty good video, in terms of showing you the format. The computers may have changed, but the process largely hasn't.

5. What is it about becoming an officer that appeals to you? I would say your current standard of written English is well below the standard expected in officer applicants. Have you considered any aviation related rating roles?

6. god cram in lonestar, its a fecking forum not an exam paper, are you an officer??

7. Somebody's cruising for a bruising here :lol:

8. Not yet, but I have passed the AIB and I am familiar with the standards expected of applicants. It wasn't an insult, it was a politely worded question. The OP's standard of written language in his/her posts so far is not great, before going to the lengths outlined in the post it is worth considering all the options. Have you got a problem with that?

9. who me or him?!!!

10. You, you jumped on me for choosing to highlight a potential problem. I have told you why I mentioned it, that ok with you?

11. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I'm commissioned and do you know what? I'm a right fucking ******, no mistake, Lol, PMSL, ROFL etc etc.

12. Yes, i couldnt give a shite how any one types on this forum unless they are trying to talk like 50 cent. The fact is when tested on his english im sure he will take more care, any way who made you admiral cnut chops?

13. Very good :roll:

14. why thank you.......... SIR?

15. Fcuk off you tool. You come on here like you're all fcuking salty because you've passed AIB. Who the fcuk do you think you are? Get some time in and then start gobbing off on here.

With regard to the original poster- yes you need to work hard for it, but you also need to want it a lot. Smash yourself on the brain training, get yourself familiar with S/D/T and work on those hard. You've probably worked out that the road ahead is a long one- the tests at Cranwell are considerably harder than the ones in the recruit test.

16. What are you trying to say about ratings you stuck up twat? I am going to be rating hopefully and while I appreciate there is banter on RR that is quite literally taking the piss. How was my spelling fckface?

Edited for Mong Spelling :D

17. I am trying to say they they require a lower standard of written English to get through the application process and that if it is an aviation related role the OP is looking for then he might find one that appeals to him. Alternatively he/she can listen to people like you, spend months going to extreme lengths to address maths issues only to find that there may be other factors within the officer application process that affect him too. Quite how you can interpret that as "literally taking the piss" is a mystery to me. :roll:

18. Actually, I'm with lonestar on this one. The original poster has more than one hurdle to overcome if he/she/it wants to become aircrew, and going on the evidence so far, I think those hurdles may be a tad too high.

19. Lonestar, I'm sure you've the best intentions but it comes across a tad patronizing. The lad's just asking some questions, it's a long road to AIB and an even longer one through BRNC after...

...my two cents, do what aljh suggested, work on S/D/T (this is useful, even though it's primarily for crabs), practice writing some essays, bone up on Naval history, current vessels - don't forget the RFA or Royals! - future plans.

If you're a bit on the tubby side, start gradually upping your fitness, eat healthily. Take it from me, I used to be a 15 stone bastard (5'6"), weight CAN be lost with determination and personal application. It also looks good when your Board ask you about a time when you did something challenging.

Get some leadership experience too. Vital! They will question you about it at AIB.

20. How I can interpret that as taking the piss is because you have passed your AIB that somehow entitles you to offer you patronising careers advice to someone you know fckall about based on their spelling in a forum.