Newbie considering joining up

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Quronos, Jun 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I've just finished university, and I am really thinking about joining the Royal Navy as an officer.
    Can anyone tell me how the recruitment system works, what I can expect in the navy, and if its any good (as in how is it better than an everyday job and why)
    My parents want me to go to an office, but i told them i'll be bored out of my skull and want to join up.

Best Regards

2. I assume you've checked out the careers site mate?

Have a look at what might be suited to your degree or what area you are interested in, read as much as you can and search these forums to help answer many questions.

Don't take a job because your parents want you to have it!

I'm in a similar position to you by the way but I need to decide which branch to apply for before going to the AFCO.

Good luck.
  3. Just pop down to your local AFCO they are alway happy to help..
  4. Firstly, parents are not always right, I know I am one. Having been to uni you are now old and bold enough to make your own cock ups so get on with it. Life in the Andrew is not for every one but neither is working in an office.

One thing you can be pretty certain of is if you pass the AIB you have got what it takes to succeed, after that it is up to you.

Good luck
  5. Quronos
    Having finished Uni and gained a degree may I ask what subject?
    The old day of it being easier to become an officer because of a degree I believe have gone, too many with them.
  6. As advised above, go visit an AFCO and gain the info. Follow this up by doing your own research (as a graduate you should be an expert at that). Come back to this forum and then ask questions, but directed ones. I've been in the Navy nearly 32 years and I will tell you that it's better than any office job, however I'm institutionalised and not necessarily impartial. I have been involved with Engineer Officer training and can advise there. Remember if the Navy does not work out you can always go and work in an office, it's not so easy the other way round :thumright:
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hello Quronos

Well come to RR. Have a trawl through the "stickies" at the top of the Newbies page, you'll see some good advice. (You'll see some duff advice too, by the way!).

Top tip: Ring our virtual Careers Office 08456 07 55 55 with a list of queries & you'll find they're very helpful.

Feel free to PM me with any specifics, if I can help I will, if I don't know I can put you in touch with someone that does.
  8. hello again,

My degree was in Business and IT. I've looked through the navy careers webby and i would like to try to get in to either a helicopter pilot role or a warfare officer position. (they are the most appealing to me)

The degree was really done as something to fall back on if the shit hit the fan sometime in the future. I've finished uni now and im completely bored of IT and the only way i'd go in to business would be for myself....but i can't see it happening for a long while.

I'm off down the AFCO next monday to have a chat with the nice recruitment people.

Any advice on either RN positions?
  9. Quronos, welcome to RR.

As Ninja_Stoker has wisely advised, a trip to your AFCO is the first step but in answer to your most recent question, I'd recommend trying for aircrew first as it takes particular qualities and you will get more than enough 'warfare' if you succeed. Even this has the option of pilot or observer - some say pilot is more challenging skill-wise but observer is more challenging intellectually. If you are not cut out for aircrew (most aren't), you should still have the option to go for warfare officer unless you have blotted your copybook more generally.

Your IT background should hold you in good stead. As for the Business bit, I acquired an MBA late in my career and found it most useful but it was regarded with suspicion by many RN traditionalists. As with anything in working life, common sense and practical experience are more important than simply applying theory.

We once had a navigator with degrees in geography and geology and used to joke that if we hit anything, at least he could tell us where it was and what it was. However, the possession of any degree indicates that you have shown commitment, can grasp concepts and can analyse problems. For the AIB (Admiralty Interview Board), you will also have to demonstrate that you can solve problems, make decisions and lead a team, especially while under pressure and with the clock ticking.
  10. thanks to all who have helped and advised