Newbie asking many newbie question!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by AB972, Jan 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everybody,

As you may of gussed from the title i'm new around here lol And i have a few questions which hopefully you can anwser!

I am currently deciding on what role i would like to do, I have narrowed it down to pretty much two things, either a Navy clearance diver, or a role invovoling the support of ICT systems

This brings me nicly onto my First question

1) Even thought i have looked i can't seem to find any roles for the actuall support of the ict system, althought maybe im just blind, So if someone could point me to an IT support role in the Navy ( Only armed force that inrest me, may have something to do with the fact i've always loved the sea and SCUBA dive as a hobby lol) that would be very much appreciated.

2) FITNESS, FITNESS, FITNESS, FITNESS, as it goes i'm not unfit but im not exactly He-man either, but i do have a strong desire to improve my fitness and currently have all the time in the world to actully get as fit as i can, what i would like to now is what kind of goals i should set myself so that i pass the fitness test, not just barest minimum but with time to spare.

This is the most improtant thing to me as working behind a desk for a few month doing IT support was not very conductive to me. As it is currently i can jog the 2.4km comtebly on a treadmill in 15 mins without being winded and without really going for it, starting tomorrow i plan to step this up and start trully training for the entrance exam.

3) Could someone clear up what the current fitness requiments for Navy Diver are as recently i've seen 4 or 5 diffrent suggestions floating around.

4) How exactly does the PEDA test work in reqad to the normal phycial test, do you do the normal and then go to PEDA or skip staight thought into PEDA

I know some of these question are proably ery obvious, simply because i never really expected to want to join any of the armed forces till recently when i realised i want to be more hands on in my life and have what i do actully mean something.

Finally i know most of these question could proably be easily ansered by my local recuting office, however i plan to get my fitness levels up before i think about visiting or calling the advisers

Thank you in advance!

2. Damn, I left my popcorn on either Morty or Ripper's thread :x

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome to the site.

What you could do, is simply ring the 08456 07 55 55 number (09:00 to 21:00 daily) and simply pretend you are already really fit - unless it's a videophone or you are out of breath, they will probably not notice even if you really weigh 44 stone. This way you can trick them to answer your questions. :wink:

Some AFCOs will even answer queries from unfit people if they call-in too, in fact if they think it may help, they may even give out a freebie pre-joining fitness booklet to help you preparations.

Just to add, the FAQ section has links to all the threads which answer your queries.

Good luck

4. You should also bear in mind that you cannot just turn up and join when you deem you are fit enough. The process takes time and after the process is completed there is a further wait to start training. You would be advised to visit your local AFCO and get the ball rolling rather than waiting around, you will have plenty of time to wait before starting Raleigh.

5. Thanks everyone for their ansers so far!

I do understand that i cannot start when i deem myself fit enough, however as i am i know i wont pass basic, so my plan is to get the run times + situp press ups e.c.t close to what is needed before applieing and then making the rest up in teh interval.

Once i can do a comtible 13min 2.4k/m i plan on going to see the advisers, i have always had the spirt and attitude of an adventors active erpson, sadly my body doesnt agree! iT only been in the last 2 years or so that any form of physical activerty has really agreed with me .... i was alazy git right up to my mid teens and am now paying for it!

For example if you wpuld of told me 6/7 months ago that i could run 2.4km i would of laugh in your face, if you would of told me that i would doit twice in one day before any kind of phycial training or conditioning before hand - kind of embarrasing but that is what has happened today was my first day, this has been something i been comtemplating for a long time because i know i have the drive to do it its jsut the getting in shape is going to be a painful process!

Which is why i want to leave plently of time for me to actuly get into shape so i can do this. The getting into shape in and of it self i find a worthwhile goal, but gettin thougth to Cleance diver would really be a childhood dream come true which is why i dont want to rush!

But thanks once again everything given is good advice and i do belive that within the next 2 or 3 weeks i will be talking with a naval carriers advisor!

People thought on my plan and / or siutation would again be much apprecated!

6. Pointless.

The waiting times for most trades are pretty long and the whole selection process will take you roughly 4 months to complete (for me anyway), then you have plenty of time to prepare before you start raleigh. Might as well apply now and get the ball rolling, by the time you have your PJFT you should be able to breeze the 2.4km, then work on improving your time whilst waiting for your entry date.

7. Point taken

Random question, do you still need to pass the basic training before going onto PEDA or as means as PEDA is a heck of a lot harder do you jump staight into that?

8. you do PEDA long before you get anywhere near Phase 1 training, and the wait for diver is LONG so get yourself down to the AFCO on monday and work on your fitness during the 2 year wait for basic training!

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

At present, from passing the recruiting test to entry, it's at least two years as stated above. I'm guessing it's going to be longer if the current financial climate persists.

Those passing the recruiting test for Diver last October are being loaded onto PEDAs 12 months later, on average.

10. I hate to be the one to break this to you, but it would appear that, although you have the level of English required for a CD, you seem unlikely to ever achieve the level of fitness given your starting point.

Also, to do the other job that appeals to you, (CIS - look it up) I believe requires one of the highest scores on the pre-entry tests carried out at the AFCO. You may be able to pass the fitness requirements of this, but judging by your English, you may struggle to achieve the requisite scores on the other tests.

There is only one way to know for sure, get yourself down to your local careers office.

11. This guy / gal isn't for real. clearly a try-hard baiter... come on folks, get a grip!

12. If you are correct, then they are a master baiter.

13. There are approximately 24/25 spelling/grammar mistakes in this post.
    If you are into IT then surly the concept of spell check has not passed you by? Other than that all I can assume is your lazy, an unfit mind as well as an unfit body.
    Good luck with your application. :wink:

14. :lol:

15. You're probably confusing CIS with CT.

16. Irony?

RR, if you want to be a grammar/spelling Nazi, you should be wiesser than wiesse.

17. I'm definately not.

If you look back through the posts of those members who also work in AFCOs, you will see that this is what they say. I do understand that CTs would seem to require more brains than CISs (except perhaps linguists, who only need to be polyglottal) but if NS or SM says so, then as far as I'm concerned, that is a fact.

18. Maybe i'm misinterpreting here but the Recruiting Handbook states that CIS requires 58/120 and CT is 90/120.

See: Summary of Entry standards > Rating Entry - Warfare

19. Rumrat: There is an 'e' in SURELY and YOUR surely should have been you're - ?

BUFFS...lol

20. :oops:
    My apologies. It would apear that I misread this post a couple of months ago. I did find it strange at the time that CISs should have the highest pass mark, but as I say, did not question the wisdom of NS.

In light of the new information (that ROs are still as thick as pigshit), then the OP still has a chance.