Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie - a few medical questions if you would please= ]

Good evening all!

I've recently set the wheels in motion towards changing career and joining the Royal Navy. My preferred trade as a 'Sun Dodger', Warfare Specialist Sensor (sm), to be more precise.

Today I have been into my local AFCO and have applied to take the entry test.

Having found this forum today and registered, I have a few concerns, some of which have already been raised, which I hope you can offer your thoughts on please. I know it is annoying to see the same questions cropping up, time and time again, but I would appreciate any advice aimed at my individual circumstances.

So here goes...

1. Whilst in primary school I was prescribed an inhaler by my GP for mild asthma. This was mainly used for sports and didn't come with me into secondary school. I am going to turn 25 years old in a few months and haven't been prescribed any further medication, of this kind, since. My question is, will I have to prove myself medically fit, as I have read somewhere on here I may need to provide evidence of a daily puff test.

2. Whilst in the later years of secondary school, I was away at an Army Cadet summer camp and managed to pick up verrucas. I suspect from the second hand boots I was supplied with. These developed into a cluster and have remained with me ever since despite persistant attempts at removing them. Even going so far as duct tape, which I have heard is a favourite within the service community. I was advised by a specialist that if they did not hurt then there was nothing to worry about and they will go away in due course. Will they have to be gone for me to pass a medical?

Starting to sound like a right train wreck now haha = ]

3. More recently, after the introduction of two siamese cats into the home, I went to my GP for advice on hayfever like synptoms and was diagnosed with Rhinitis. I was prescribed, firstly, Beconaise and then, Flixonaise. I am no longer around the cats so much and my problems seem to be wearing away and so am not using the nasal sprays any longer. If I do get a bad day I just self medicate with a hayfever tab. Will having been prescribed the nasal sprays recently affect my application?

Joining the Royal Navy is something I really want to do and I know that these minor problems shouldn't affect my ability to serve. I am just concerned that something as trivial as a verucca may stop me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards - Mark= ]
 

soleil

War Hero
Hi SK!

Welcome to Rum Ration!

Our oracle on medical matters is actually a real live RN Doctor!

He will no doubt be doing a Rum Ration Ward Round in the next few days, so look out for an answer from him.
 
Hi Mark,

None of your problems individually would be a bar to entry. However, the AFCO medical examiner (ME) may want further information before making you fully fit to join.

The best thing would be to get your written test done and then you will get medicalled as part of the entry process. The AFCO ME will then give you a decision.

Regards and welcome

SM

:)
 
A

angrydoc

Guest
As SM says, nothing to worry about.

Your childhood asthma won't cause further problems.

Verrucae can be stubborn buggers: they do go away eventually but it can take a while. I presume cryotherapy (freezing them) has been tried? That combined with the topical preparations tend to work.

The cat allergy - not many Ship's Cats about any more so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Occasional use of hayfever medication (as long as it isn't steroid tablets) won't be an issue.

It's unlikely the ME will require extra information - the only semi-controversial issue is the childhood asthma but as it was so long ago I don't see it as an issue.

Good luck
 

ahhfisto

Midshipman
Do the ME get your medical records to look at? I didnt realise things like verruca etc would be a problem but then again, i suppose im not a doctor hah!
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
When you complete the medical questionnaire, you sign a consent for for the Medical Examiner to access your medical records.
 

ahhfisto

Midshipman
That being the case do they always get them or do they only look more into your previous medical history if there is something that comes up at the time of the medical?
Im not hiding anything but a few years back I was treated for symptoms of asthma after a few bad chest infections. I have literally nothing wrong with me now and was wondering if i should even mention it? Although i know you will probably say honesty is the best policy etc, I know others that have had similar dealings and it caused them a bit of hassle.

sorry for the thread hijack!
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
If you don't disclose it & it comes to light when we check, then the individual will be rejected for making a fraudulent application.

The letter calling you in for the Medical Examination advises the individual to bring a copy of medical notes relating to any conditions listed requiring further investigation. If you provide the details upfront it avoids delay.

The rules are there to protect numpties from either killing themselves or endangering the lives of those that may depend on them, they aren't there just for the hell of it.

It's your call.
 
A

angrydoc

Guest
s1lentknight said:
I am going to turn 25 years old in a few months and haven't been prescribed any further medication, of this kind, since.

So this bit isn't quite the full story is it?

In the words of Gregory House, "Everybody lies ... the only variable is how much."

To answer your modified question, it depends how long ago you needed to use medication, ie the blue inhaler. If it is more than 4 years ago then fine. Otherwise you'll need to complete a diary. Your medical notes will likely be pulled to confirm details. If you see your GP and ask for a copy of recent consultations, including the "offending" one, this may speed things up. You may be charged for this service.

Always be honest. Your first post, on reflection, is a bit of a porky pie - isn't it?
 

Nick_Rueth

Midshipman
Hi there, I am, or was, in the exact same position as yourself. Chances are that during your medical you will fill out a form that asks (amongst other things) if you have ever had asthma. When you write that you did when you where a child...but are now symptom-free the doc will probably forward your application to the institute of naval medicine in Gosport. If this is the case you will have to wait a few months before getiing a medical date. Once there, you will do various tests that mostly involve blowing into a tube for as long as possible. It will take a few hours and the staff are very friendly/helpful so theres nothing to worry about...just do your best! You will get a "yes, you can join" or "no, you can't join" on the day. Good luck!
 

hamisatypeofcheese

Lantern Swinger
Nick_Rueth said:
Hi there, I am, or was, in the exact same position as yourself. Chances are that during your medical you will fill out a form that asks (amongst other things) if you have ever had asthma. When you write that you did when you where a child...but are now symptom-free the doc will probably forward your application to the institute of naval medicine in Gosport. If this is the case you will have to wait a few months before getiing a medical date. Once there, you will do various tests that mostly involve blowing into a tube for as long as possible. It will take a few hours and the staff are very friendly/helpful so theres nothing to worry about...just do your best! You will get a "yes, you can join" or "no, you can't join" on the day. Good luck!

I had childhood asthma, been clear for over 4 years but still had to do the peak flow test for 28 days. Once I showed the doc my results he signed me off as fit and that was it, no trips to Gosport or anything like that.
 

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
arfur_finger said:
I hear the RAF are hiring

I hear & read your a grade A fanny.

And what experience & knowledge do you have of the crabs? Nil to fuck all?

Seeing & reading that I can spot your a wankstain, not just from a thousand yards, but from an internet forum. Are you sure the crabs refused you entry, they normally suck up knobbers like yourself.
 

Nick_Rueth

Midshipman
hamisatypeofcheese said:
Nick_Rueth said:
Hi there, I am, or was, in the exact same position as yourself. Chances are that during your medical you will fill out a form that asks (amongst other things) if you have ever had asthma. When you write that you did when you where a child...but are now symptom-free the doc will probably forward your application to the institute of naval medicine in Gosport. If this is the case you will have to wait a few months before getiing a medical date. Once there, you will do various tests that mostly involve blowing into a tube for as long as possible. It will take a few hours and the staff are very friendly/helpful so theres nothing to worry about...just do your best! You will get a "yes, you can join" or "no, you can't join" on the day. Good luck!

I had childhood asthma, been clear for over 4 years but still had to do the peak flow test for 28 days. Once I showed the doc my results he signed me off as fit and that was it, no trips to Gosport or anything like that.

yes but are you applying for submariner?
 

hamisatypeofcheese

Lantern Swinger
Nick_Rueth said:
hamisatypeofcheese said:
Nick_Rueth said:
Hi there, I am, or was, in the exact same position as yourself. Chances are that during your medical you will fill out a form that asks (amongst other things) if you have ever had asthma. When you write that you did when you where a child...but are now symptom-free the doc will probably forward your application to the institute of naval medicine in Gosport. If this is the case you will have to wait a few months before getiing a medical date. Once there, you will do various tests that mostly involve blowing into a tube for as long as possible. It will take a few hours and the staff are very friendly/helpful so theres nothing to worry about...just do your best! You will get a "yes, you can join" or "no, you can't join" on the day. Good luck!

I had childhood asthma, been clear for over 4 years but still had to do the peak flow test for 28 days. Once I showed the doc my results he signed me off as fit and that was it, no trips to Gosport or anything like that.

yes but are you applying for submariner?

nup
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B A few questions (medical/qualification related) from a newbie Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Lily jade Newbie Here The Corps 13
J GS or Boats. Newbie question from an older guy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
B Joining the Navy as a graduate engineer- newbie alert Joining the Royal Navy 7
R Complete Newbie here, I've got a question to ask, and asking for some tips for the RN interview. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
R Complete Newbie here, I've got a question to ask, and asking for some tips for the RN interview. The Quarterdeck 2
craigb302 Newbie to submarine service (hopefully) need help understanding navy pay ? Submariners 16
T Newbie needing a little help, please! Nearest & Dearest 2
Blackrat Important Newbie Info Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
Rumrat Bedding and the Iron (Not a newbie fest) The Gash Barge 20
G Newbie Submariners 5
H Newbie. Pay/Length of a deployment? Submariners 19
P Newbie Tony Floyd (Pinky) from Wantage Oxordshire Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
A Newbie in need of friendly advice/mocking! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
Muppet89 Newbie here! (sort of!) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
K I'm a newbie & need help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
SerkJ Newbie Here Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Rumrat Newbie's Navy. Diamond Lil's 4
P Newbie Questions: Life at sea Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
A newbie with questions The Fleet Air Arm 38
deano232 Newbie - Applying for Medical Assistant Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
N Another Newbie! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Betty Swollocks Another Newbie Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
M Newbie WAG :) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
McSkimp Newbie Question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
Powder I feel like a MASSIVE newbie asking this but... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 30
R Newbie :) what jobs are currently recruiting Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
fathaggis Newbie medical question Health & Fitness 123
fishcakebreadcake Hello from an old newbie Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
BillyNoMates The wonderful world of the Newbie Thread. Diamond Lil's 2
D Newbie to the site Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
Scrintzen_Doofer Newbie - Only just found you!!!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
Navy_Panda Newbie to Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
N Another Newbie! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
D Newbie! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 50
v8topcat An old newbie Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
K Newbie Here Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
M NEWBIE MEDICAL HELP - DENTAL!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
PROPMAN NEWBIE Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
G newbie Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
M Newbie needing info Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
A Newbie papping himself!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Louisa_Wren Newbie! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 62
D Advice on knowledge for a newbie. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
J Newbie question The Quarterdeck 7
A Hi everyone, another newbie Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
A Newbie asking many newbie question! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 30
K newbie saying hello Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
B I'm a newbie. Merry bloody christmas! Diamond Lil's 5
Ollie-O Newbie: Submariner Pay Submariners 12
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

Top