New Zealand

Discussion in 'International' started by LustyMatelot, Jul 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anybody here moved out there? Either as a civvie or to join the RNZN. I'm more interested in experiences of finding jobs and accommodation, difficulty of getting visa's and overall good vs bad points of the country and life in general there.

I'm planning to go on a working holiday visa first with the lass for a few months and see how things work out.

Even if you've not made the move but are planning to as well or just have plenty of knowledge of the place that might be helpful.

- Jimmy
  2. I think there are roughly 2-3 people on here who post regular, who have moved out there.
  3. Wet Blobby and NZB are your men. Pm them or wait for them to come back from band camp.
  4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Hello..... The triangle has been hung up for the day.

Yep, I'm in NZ. What job are you looking at doing down here?
  5. Mmmmmmm both the RR contingent in NZ are Ex Booties, is there something on the NZ immigration check list about roll mats and stockings.................
  6. wet_blobby

We are here to bring a touch of "High Culture" to the peasants.
  7. I knew there had to be a good reason.
  8. En-Zed is fantastic and the place works at a pace much slower than the UK. I'm not too sure about the RNZN though.
  9. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

NZ is epic. The best place i've been to. I'd move there like a shot if i could. Stay away from Otago though. It's the gay capital of South Island.
  10. Since I left the Navy I've got into International Development, so work wise I know I'll always probably end up living in capital cities where ever I go, though NZ is different since most NGO's are based in Auckland with sub-offices in Wellington. But at first for the working holiday visa I don't mind getting back into temporary jobs whilst I look for something permanent. The aid budget in NZ has been slashed in real terms but individual New Zealanders always come out near the top on generosity per capita so hopefully the NGO sector is still going strong out there.

Oh yeah don't worry, I'm a complete cynic when it comes to all this aid crap, I'm in it so people will pay me to travel and hopefully let me bullshit my way through life.

- Jimmy
    • Like Like x 1
  11. WTF is a NGO?
  12. Non Governmental Organisation. Bit like a QUANGO. :cool:
  13. That's a shame, you were starting to appear to be quite a decent chap there.

15. Eh?????????????????????
  16. Not wishing to state the bleedin' obvious Finks but wrong nation, continent and hemisphere.
  17. It'll be a wind up of course Wrecker and you bit.

No, honest.
  18. Sheeeeeit, the old guys got me agin! tsk
  19. wet_blobby

Auckland and Wellington are both in the North Island. In a nut shell NZ is spread over two Islands which joined together would be about the size of the UK, the South island is the size of England. 4.2 (odd) million people live in NZ, about a million live on the South Island so, the North Island is where all the people live. Over a million of them them live in Auckland. So if it's Government stuff, a City, the boring humdrum of the morning commute, being crammed into a shoe box for a house and having to queue up that's the Island for you.

The South Island is a bit colder on average (supposedly) and it's full. Have a look at the NZ Immigration website, there's some good stuff on there. Dont get hung up with visa's, medicals etc I just jumped on a plane and sorted it all out when I got here, they'll give you a 6 months visitors visa when you get off the plane so just take it from there.

20. As I understand it lumber is big business in NZ, as I could not find a funny lumberjack clip for the Kiwi's that was the next best thing, if you get my drift?