New York plane ditching

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by come_the_day, Jan 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Re: BZ to the Pilot

Why would he be anywhere near the wheel? Surely the cockpit would be a safer place to sit? :shock: :lol:

2. New York plane ditching.

We were discussing the ditching in the pub last night and somebody asked why they could not fit some sort of grill over the intakes to prevent this type of accident, being an ex-gunner I was unable to answer but I'm sure somebody on here can.

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

4. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Re: New York plane ditching.

Aerodynamics and airflow!

A grill over the intakes with a small enough mesh to prevent bird ingestion would be like reducing airflow by 50% and adding a brickwall to the aerodynamic design.

Some aircraft have grills which can be fitted for groundrunning to prevent FOD ingestion but they can effect the engine's performance significantly.

Birdstrikes are just an acceptable risk, the engines are tested to ensure a reasonable degree of survivability but you can't plan for everything.

5. Re: BZ to the Pilot

What a nice feelgood story after the gloom and doom of the past few weeks.

6. Re: New York plane ditching.

What the chieftiff said.

Everything with aviation is a trade off, Lift vs weight etc.

Bird strikes of that magnitude are fortunately rare. The engines are capable of surviving a few budgies but a flock is asking way too much.

Hence a few airfields still employ falconers to scare birds during take offs and landings.

But you have to applaud the pilot and his skills. Time in the simulator not wasted.

7. Re: New York plane ditching.

Quite right, outstanding flying. I feel a bit for the co-pilot though. I'm fairly sure he would've had a part to play too. Seems the cabin crew did a good job aswell. Nice comment on BBC news this morning from an 'aviation expert'. "I usually get called up to discuss disasters, it's nice to talk about a story with a happy ending."

8. Re: New York plane ditching.

Strewth!!! 8O

Ryan Air pilots land like this all the time!!!!!!

"Cabin crew five minutes to landing all those wearing dentures please remove thank you"

9. Re: New York plane ditching.

Engines tend to be tested with chicken sized birds, some of them frozen. A flock of geese weighing up to 9kg each is a different matter.
    US Airways will soon have to put this type of ditching in its standard ops for pilots. This is by no means the first time in this bit of water over the years.
    Just goes to show how strong modern aircraft are.

10. Re: New York plane ditching.

I used to do aviation turbine blade repair for a living and especially for the eurofighter typhoon, even the littliest dint in a turbine blade could effect flight big time and birds are especially known to F it up which can really cost money

11. Re: BZ to the Pilot

I am sure he is glad he doesn't fly for Ryanair with a name like Chesley B 'Sully' Sullenberger the 3rd.

12. Re: New York plane ditching.

I am sure he is glad he doesn't fly for Ryanair with a name like Chesley B 'Sully' Sullenberger the 3rd.

13. Threads merged

14. I know it’s his job but he must be one cool dude and justly deserves all the plaudits.

15. I wonder if he'll get a C126 for the missing engines?

16. Re: New York plane ditching.

I had read it was a pelican.......whatever they find imprinted on the blades, no doubt it was a big fat knacker. Any landing you can walk/swim away from......