New Years Honours

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by wave_dodger, Dec 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Lt Peter Reed MBE, well done lofty......

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

3. On the general honours list I think Becky Adlington should have become a Dame.

4. Among the civil awards, Capt Michael Gordon-Lennox RN (Chairman of St Dunstan's) is appointed an OBE for voluntary service to visually impaired ex-servicemen and women. He pushes one of the patients in a wheelchair past the Cenotaph every Remembrance Sunday. It is also good to see Cdre Robert Thornton of the often unsung RFA appointed a CBE.

5. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Because his award was probably generated by the sports council for Peter Reed, rower, as opposed to a service generated submission which goes via a Service Secretary for Lt Reed (Officer Under the Longest Training Programme Yet.... :thumright: ).

At a guess

6. Warrant Officer 1st Class Air Engineering Mechanic Martin BAILEY

Petty Officer Air Engineering Mechanic (Mechanical) David Robert James DALLIMORE

Too fecking grubbers getting a gong, bugger me what next. That must be Bill Bailey, all 5 ft feck all.......musnt it? dont know Dallimore

7. Why ?

8. It is Bill Bailey and it was very well deserved too. I'm delighted for him - top bloke (even if he is 5ft feck all)!! :thumright:

9. Why?

Anyone ever heard of her before her Olympic triumphs this year. I think not. She will need to be around for a lot longer and have achieved a great deal more before she should be considered for such an honour.

10. Little Ellie won 2 swimming golds she only got award MBE why should Rebecca get more than she has already been awarded i.e OBE?

11. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I should have thought that Oscars, Baftas, Grammys, Olympic and other Games medals etc were quite sufficient recognition for 'celebrities'; I think it makes a farce of the whole system to dish out national honours on top, unless there is additional UNPAID voluntary effort and time going into something worthwhile like helping children to develop and excel. People should not get 'honours' for doing what they get money for, or other prestigious professional awards. This applies with full force to civil servants - the day when the gong was an alternative to a decent salary are long gone, let alone the inflation-proofed pension.

Dame Jade Goody next.

12. We worked together briefly in the mid 80's, he taught me how to weld, (I am/was a Bombhead). When I got my B13, they moved me out of the workshops as they thought I would get arsey and order him about......was the end of a good relationship. Lost contact with him when I went 845, then Invisible and left

13. On the subject of Sportsmen/women it is fitting they are given an honour of somekind but perhaps the Knighthoods or Damehoods ought to be held over until such time as their sporting days are over.Sir Steve Redgrave had to wait until after 4 Olympics as did Tanny Gray- Thompson in her wheelchair.