New weapons kit for RM

#1
Latest NN on line has an article on a new landrover for the RM, called a WMIK (?) Weapons Mounted Installation Kit.

Apparently the Royals testing it consider it is on steroids.

Looks a bit like the old LRDG from WW2, and probably a later version of the GW1 rover - I wonder why they just didn't call it The Armed Landrover ?

MoD and it's titles ... !

:)
 
#2
WMIK has been around for a while, the mounting kit can take a number of different options.

There is possibly a new version around, though.
 
#4
Your right mate - WMIK has been around for ages.

Its basically a 110 Landrover with a mount in the back for the 50 cal and a GPMG on the passenger side. There is a new bit of kit out - looks pretty mean - but has mixed reviews. The main gripe being it has no real protection against IED's. I will find some pics and post them up. Wait out.
 
#5
spenny said:
Your right mate - WMIK has been around for ages.

Its basically a 110 Landrover with a mount in the back for the 50 cal and a GPMG on the passenger side. There is a new bit of kit out - looks pretty mean - but has mixed reviews. The main gripe being it has no real protection against IED's. I will find some pics and post them up. Wait out.
This dates back to the '70's and I think that they were made/converted by a firm in Cambridge.

I can remember one of them being tested at Pontrilas, fitted with a 7.62mm Mini-Gun. It sorta worked but the Pink Panther moved a lot even with the engine switched off and the hand-brake on. Plus with a cyclic rate of 6000 the ammo supply was a problem so they went back to a couple of GPMG's



I think that Royal also tried firing 84mm Charley G's from canoes once upon a time but that is another story :thumright:

RM
 
#6
Bergen said:
spenny said:
Your right mate - WMIK has been around for ages.

Its basically a 110 Landrover with a mount in the back for the 50 cal and a GPMG on the passenger side. There is a new bit of kit out - looks pretty mean - but has mixed reviews. The main gripe being it has no real protection against IED's. I will find some pics and post them up. Wait out.
This dates back to the '70's and I think that they were made/converted by a firm in Cambridge.

I can remember one of them being tested at Pontrilas, fitted with a 7.62mm Mini-Gun. It sorta worked but the Pink Panther moved a lot even with the engine switched off and the hand-brake on. Plus with a cyclic rate of 6000 the ammo supply was a problem so they went back to a couple of GPMG's



I think that Royal also tried firing 84mm Charley G's from canoes once upon a time but that is another story :thumright:

RM
Look forward to hearing that dit Bergs!!

Couple of pics for you lads. The first is Royal on a Landrover WMIK, armed with a 50 Cal.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/ORD_GMG_40mm_H-K_British_Marines_lg.jpg


..............and the second is the new Supa Cat MWMIK (Mobile Weapons Mounted Installation Kit)

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/wp/images/LAND_MWMIK_Manned_lg.jpg

Can also be mounted with a 50 Cal or a Grenade Launcher in the back and a GPMG in the vehicle commanders seat. It has a top speed of around 80mph I think.

I think it looks quite mean and heavy, but there is a real lack of protection from small arms fire and/or IED's. One would have thought that the first improvemnt to the Landrover would be armour for the driver and Commander? Maybe thats just too much common sense!!
 
#7
spenny said:
Bergen said:
spenny said:
Your right mate - WMIK has been around for ages.

Its basically a 110 Landrover with a mount in the back for the 50 cal and a GPMG on the passenger side. There is a new bit of kit out - looks pretty mean - but has mixed reviews. The main gripe being it has no real protection against IED's. I will find some pics and post them up. Wait out.
This dates back to the '70's and I think that they were made/converted by a firm in Cambridge.

I can remember one of them being tested at Pontrilas, fitted with a 7.62mm Mini-Gun. It sorta worked but the Pink Panther moved a lot even with the engine switched off and the hand-brake on. Plus with a cyclic rate of 6000 the ammo supply was a problem so they went back to a couple of GPMG's



I think that Royal also tried firing 84mm Charley G's from canoes once upon a time but that is another story :thumright:

RM
Look forward to hearing that dit Bergs!!

Couple of pics for you lads. The first is Royal on a Landrover WMIK, armed with a 50 Cal.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/ORD_GMG_40mm_H-K_British_Marines_lg.jpg


..............and the second is the new Supa Cat MWMIK (Mobile Weapons Mounted Installation Kit)

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/wp/images/LAND_MWMIK_Manned_lg.jpg

Can also be mounted with a 50 Cal or a Grenade Launcher in the back and a GPMG in the vehicle commanders seat. It has a top speed of around 80mph I think.

I think it looks quite mean and heavy, but there is a real lack of protection from small arms fire and/or IED's. One would have thought that the first improvemnt to the Landrover would be armour for the driver and Commander? Maybe thats just too much common sense!!

Good photo Spenney http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/ORD_GMG_40mm_H-K_British_Marines_lg.jpg but I thought that only the British Army camouflaged their faces and left in their shiney cap-badges as aiming marks :thumright:
 
#8
I don't think they are Royals:

The beret badge on the passenger doesn't look correct (no lion & crown above the wreath ?), and they look a bit 'chunky' to be lean mean fighting machines - probably all that riding about in luxury vehicles .. ;)

:lol:
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
#9
Talking of Landrovers, shiny beret badges etc,. Anyone ever noticed you can tell a "Reserves" vehicle at a glance?

Yup, they're the only ones who have the time to paint the wheelnuts red or put big black stripes all over it.
 
#10
Bergen said:
spenny said:
Your right mate - WMIK has been around for ages.

Its basically a 110 Landrover with a mount in the back for the 50 cal and a GPMG on the passenger side. There is a new bit of kit out - looks pretty mean - but has mixed reviews. The main gripe being it has no real protection against IED's. I will find some pics and post them up. Wait out.
This dates back to the '70's and I think that they were made/converted by a firm in Cambridge.

I can remember one of them being tested at Pontrilas, fitted with a 7.62mm Mini-Gun. It sorta worked but the Pink Panther moved a lot even with the engine switched off and the hand-brake on. Plus with a cyclic rate of 6000 the ammo supply was a problem so they went back to a couple of GPMG's



I think that Royal also tried firing 84mm Charley G's from canoes once upon a time but that is another story :thumright:

RM

Hehe love it

Pinkies and dinkies lol. A hand painted landie bergs, just up your street mate!! Did you used to nip across to Pontrilas timber supplies for the wood to rebuild your kleppers mate as i know how underfunding you shakies were/are. :thumright: :thumright:
 
#11
whitemouse said:
I don't think they are Royals:

The beret badge on the passenger doesn't look correct (no lion & crown above the wreath ?), and they look a bit 'chunky' to be lean mean fighting machines - probably all that riding about in luxury vehicles .. ;)

:lol:
They are definitely "Chunkey-Monkeys" and could never be confused with "The real, steeley-eyed, dealers of death, destruction and mayhem"



RM
 
#14
whitemouse said:
I don't think they are Royals:

The beret badge on the passenger doesn't look correct (no lion & crown above the wreath ?), and they look a bit 'chunky' to be lean mean fighting machines - probably all that riding about in luxury vehicles .. ;)

:lol:
Who are they then ? If we could get a close-up of the badge ... At first I thought they could be Legionnaires ( also wear ' beret vert ' with their own badge : http://www.eleves.ens.fr/home/ymichel/Reportages_Jon/31.jpg ) but then saw they were wearing DPM.

Also, Royals wear the Globe and Laurel above the left brow.
 
#17
whitemouse said:
I don't think they are Royals:

The beret badge on the passenger doesn't look correct (no lion & crown above the wreath ?), and they look a bit 'chunky' to be lean mean fighting machines - probably all that riding about in luxury vehicles .. ;)

:lol:
Come on lads........I wasnt suggesting for a second that they were all Royal.!!

The chaps in the front are Green Jackets but the bloke manning the 50 Cal is wearing a Commando Green beret. If you dont believe me also check the Para Wings on his right sleeve. Now unless your UKSF, only candidates who have passed P Company or the Commando course can earn their wings.

Bergs perhaps he is an Army Commando? I thought Royal because the WMIK was being tested for the Coprs deployment to Afghanistan. See second picture and links (which also state RM).

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/513731E4-B17D-4F8E-A316-78CEA245BC93/0/newgun.jpg

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/britains-gmg-order-illustrates-2-key-trends-02813

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/D...istmasPresentForRoyalMarinesInAfghanistan.htm


Edited to add: Although at second glance, I cannot see the Royal Marines Commando Flashes above his Para Wings.
 
#20
spenny said:
alfred_the_great said:
plus i've never seen Royal wear his beret like that; but the 'flat cap' style is all the rage amongst Percy.....
Agree there mate. Ive only ever seen the flatcap style once with Royal and that was a Marine from BPT.
The blokes probably All Arms trained although he could use his lid as a frisbee to lob at the enemy if all else fails!!!
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads