New to Raleigh

Discussion in 'Nearest & Dearest' started by Anxious mum, Jan 6, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I am wondering if there is any parents on here that their son/daughter are in their first week at Raleigh :)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. What are you anxious about Anxious mum
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Just my baby in his first week at Raleigh, I was wondering if there was anymore parents whose kids are there currently too
  4. There are a few parents who post on a regular basis but their offspring have all moved on to phase 2 by now. How old is "your baby".
  5. He's 18 so not so much a baby, but a baby to me :)
  6. Zeb

Zeb Badgeman

It's a good job you've got me to chat to :)
    Try posting again on the recruiting page as that's where I came across the other mums. This one seemed more hidden away
  7. @Zeb
    I suggest we you appoint you C-in-C Worried Mothers; thus protecting them from the broadsides they might otherwise receive. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Zeb

Zeb Badgeman

Good idea! ill look after all the poor abandoned mums :D
  9. Oh no, that's a whole other thread! :p
  10. Zeb

Zeb Badgeman

Wow I'm thrilled thanks :D
    I am an expert in kit muster failings too if anyone wants advice!
  11. You're most welcome. That's what we're here for.

Oh and telling people to 'man up'! o_O
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Zeb

Zeb Badgeman

I did read that :)
  13. Anxious Mum.

How is "your baby" getting on now that he is in week 2.
  14. Hi Drakey, yeah he seems to be doing ok, passed run, swim etc however a little homesickness seemed to set in later last week (he didn't admit that though), hes a bit of a hygiene freak so the other messy ones are frustrating him lol. He seems to be doing a lot better now though :)
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I think most people, to a degree, feel a little homesick when they first join. Particularly if they've not lived away from home for any length of time previously. Certainly I did, although you never really admit it and it is barely ever cited as a reason for wrapping. Most people claim "Family circumstances" or "partner pressure".

Recruits are deliberately kept busy to stop them dwelling on it too much and rest assured, they don't lay awake at night pining for the fjords - they are too knackered.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. I think it was more due to his 'friends' texting, telling him what they were doing at the weekend whilst he knew hed be washing and ironing lol
    When he text me last night, they were all in the ironing room all singing Enrique ha ha ha ha, all good spirits with the looks of it :)
    • Like Like x 1
  17. That's good to hear. The first week can be a huge transition for trainees and parents alike. Keep us updated on his progress so that others can see that it is not all plain sailing (pun intended).
  18. Hi Drakey, many thanks, I certainly will do :)
  19. Well this is not great news, heard from him today, hes had an interview with a guy that currently does the role hes going to be doing, hes not impressed, I honestly think he will leave at the end of week 4
  20. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Its a rollercoaster. You need to accept your son is a man, that he has barely any experience of the Navy, that he is going through a significant period of physical and mental change and now is not the time to make hasty decisions om the basis of one interview.

My very blunt advice is to:

a) BACK OFF - let your son do it in his time without his well meaning mum impeding him. I genuinely think you are now doing him more harm than good with your constant wittering. Switch the phone off, don't talk to him and give him the space to be himself. Your worries and clear desire for your baby to come back are transmitting themselves to him - you have to give him space to be himself.

b) GIVE HIM SPACE - Right now he is in a vulnerable point. The RN isn't yet a known quantity to him, all he has to go on is the very surreal experience of HMS RALEIGH, and this is not the Navy. You are not an expert and you don't know what its like there or in the rest of the RN. You now need to tell him to dry his eyes, carry on and see what its actually like. I suspect your worry is coming through and convincing him that he's making a mistake. By talking or texting him, you are only making things worse.

c) TELL HIM TO TALK TO HIS DO. They've been there and heard it all countless times before. You cannot help him, but the Navy chain can and will do all it can to keep him. The next time he moans, just tell him to talk to his DO.

I know its tough for you, but he is an employed man now and will kick himself for the rest of his life if he leaves early on the basis of a couple of hard weeks. Hundreds of thousands of people have gone before him and found its a great job with great opportunities. Don't talk him into quitting because you want your baby back.