Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New technology" boats"

hobbit

War Hero
With the advancement of computers and satelites I can sit at my machine and do some pretty snazzy things what with Google Earth or whatever the sat program is and almost scan the world. OK cant tell the time on Big Ben. That aside and back to the sats, modern warships and in particular submarines must surely be more advanced than some old bloke on a PC. By that I mean at periscope depth an arial or antenna capable of looking anywhere on the earth or sea via one of the many satelites in orbit around the planet. This would be a huge plus for " boats" with the missiles etc and a massive advantage over skimmers. It seems even night is no obstacle now with infra red so during an "attack" could a submarine attack team sit in a lounge type setting as if playing a PC game. The ming boggles but it seems anything is possible so is this technology used or have I been watching too many James Bond films, :roll:

Not_a_boffin

War Hero
Just remember, the satellite image you see on Gary Google is far from real time, some of them are several years out of date.

Getting real-time imagery of exactly the place you want at the time you want requires more bandwidth than you'd want to expose a mast for.

hobbit

War Hero
Not_a_boffin said:
Just remember, the satellite image you see on Gary Google is far from real time, some of them are several years out of date.

Getting real-time imagery of exactly the place you want at the time you want requires more bandwidth than you'd want to expose a mast for.

Good point and I suppose I was thinking of the recent attack in Iraq when the good guys wiped out that baddie through sat I thought. Must come a time when it will be possible though as technology is forging ahead so fast anything seems possible. Hard to grasp as even the bleedin' telephone was high tech when I was a nipper although cars had been invented. Anyway, cheers for that,
:D

On the other hand our UScousins have been doing quite a lot of work on autonomous submersibles. We are getting close to the point where a boat could be preprogrammed to carry out for example a surveillance mission. The comms problem does make real time control a trifle difficult. I did some work on sonar data links some years ago, worked OK most of the time but it was pretty short range only, from one side of an oil rig to the other.

Mind you now that sattellite broad band is srating up you could get some pretty good images into a remote boat that way without to much mast exposure if you concentrated on the image rather than all the extra stuff you get with Google.

Getting stuff back though can be a bit more of a problem.

Peter

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Defra seeks views on expanding use of monitoring technology on fishing boats MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New technology to help identify those at high risk from COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Smartphone technology in bid to revolutionise early detection of kidney disease MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Cutting-edge Telexistence technology given funding boost MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The contribution of science and technology for levelling up across the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £84 million boost for technology to power a green aviation revolution MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £2m innovation funding for surveying technology MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DASA showcases tomorrow's technology today MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Technology drives forward new network for search and rescue MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RFEA and TechVets are bridging the gap for veterans entering cyber and technology industry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joe White appointed HM Consul-General, San Francisco, and Technology Envoy to the USA MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British High Commission Cyprus webinar series: technology and women MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Children’s Minister keynote address on assistive technology MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMA blocks investment technology merger MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A technology-enabled justice system MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Royal Marines train with cutting-edge autonomous technology in Cyprus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Campaign for co-Chair of the Council for Science and Technology MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Secretary announces MOD Science and Technology Strategy 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New strategy places focus on cutting edge science and technology MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Competition opens for new wave of Institutes of Technology MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Science Minister at the Foundation for Science and Technology MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DASA launches search for telexistence technology MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Innovation call for urban drone technology MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Aurrigo makes breakthrough in driverless pods technology MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Innovation call for technology to stop armed or violent offenders MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armoured vehicles to test electric technology MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Construction milestone at new Fusion Technology site in Yorkshire MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Funding boost for UK tech innovators to seize opportunities of 5G technology MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Welsh Secretary visits company developing Covid-19 beating technology MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £40 million to kick start next-gen nuclear technology MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Up to £75,000 available for UK space technology projects MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Principles for science and technology moon-shots MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £70 million funding to secure UK position as a world-leader in quantum technology MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK maritime technology firm paves the way for greener oceans with 'micro-bubble carpet' MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK aid-backed drone technology supports Ghana's coronavirus fight MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Investment of up to £6m in new listing technology to benefit court users MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DASA awards £2.3m to develop novel sensor technology MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK firm pioneers technology to help communication in hospitals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lord Hodge: Technology and the Law MoD News 0
MoD_RSS How the Welsh Government migrated their technology to the cloud MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19: Call for rapid sanitising technology for ambulances MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New technology challenge to support people who are isolating MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DASA seeks novel technology to counter homemade bombs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Gaming technology trialled in training UK Armed Forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Readout of Prime Minister’s Council for Science and Technology MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Call for evidence: Collaborative use of live facial recognition technology MoD News 0
MoD_RSS STEM Returners welcomed at the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech at GCR Live: Telecoms, Media and Technology 2020 MoD News 0
soleil Naval Technology: "HMS Prince of Wales to begin F-35 trials in January 2021" The Fleet 1
MoD_RSS Diffusion of technology for productivity MoD News 0