new star?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by golden_rivet, Nov 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My Dad reckons there is a new star in the sky - he went out looking for Andromeda and couldn't find it at first so got his big binocs out - says he nearly crapped himself - below Cassiopea - a third of the way to the horizon ...

we shall see

GR

2. Get your Dad some lens cleaner for Crimbo! :money: :thumright:
    NZB

3. he swears he hasn't been drinking NZB :rendeer:

4. Neither have I. Hic!
    Working hard (Hardly working) for the ratepayers of Dunners :dwarf: .
    NZB

5. Got a reddish tinge to it GR?

If so, I think it is a planet

6. Look at the date!!!! Could it be a Brocks special?? :dwarf:

Pol

7. It could be a satellite, or the first signs of that long awaited alien invasion.

8. It is actually a comet, and for some reason it is shining thrice as bright, as normal,believed to be due to a collision, with some unknown debris and the comet is now shaped like a doh nut

It is visible to the naked eye, but binoculars or scope show it clearly slightly to the right of capeolla and forming an L shape to the star

Jack McHammocklashing RO9

9. It is actually a comet, and for some reason it is shining thrice as bright, as normal,believed to be due to a collision, with some unknown debris and the comet is now shaped like a doh nut

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7070108.stm

It is visible to the naked eye, but binoculars or scope show it clearly slightly to the right of capeolla and forming an L shape to the star

Jack McHammocklashing RO9

10. G R. Was your dad just having a general look round the sky? Now he's over the initial shock, he must be chuffed to nuts that he's seen an event that's unique in his lifetime. He's probably kicking himself, though, that he wasn't looking through one of his big reflectors!

Thanks to Jack_McHammocklashing for the almost immediate explanation.

11. NASA imagery of it here as well