New Speaker to be elected

slim

War Hero
Today we are to get a new speaker.
So is it time that the speaker whoever it will be should be bound by some new rules?
The speakers job is suppossed to be impartial, should the house be able to remove a speaker who is not?
Betty Boothroyd was a great speaker impartial and fair.
The latest occupier of the chair has to be the worst speaker in the history of the house in modern times

So who do you think will make the fairest unbiased speaker?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
The fairest one would be one who doesn't belong to a party and isn't an MP so that won't happen.

I cannot see why it is so important to elect one when we are on the cusp of an election. Let the deputies manage the remaining business and then go for a new speaker once the election is done and dusted.

As I see it, the incumbent Speaker will get a free pass to the position once chosen. Convention says that their constituency seat is uncontested. How that equates to that constituency being respresentative of their views and wants is unclear.

I think the best thing is to elect a speaker for the duration of the parliament, by that I mean from election to election. That way the electorate in the Speakers seat get representation.

And yes Bercow was too big for his boots and definitely not impartial.

Perhaps the informed rather than the uninformed.
I chose not to comment on some of his "informed" comments on the abilities of the current RN against the PSOF of yore. I get to see some reports as part of my current role that show that they are far from perfect and the mistakes they are making are not too far from resulting in the loss of a boat.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I dont know, but if you look at the likes for my post you see the suggestion had 'funnies' from both sides of the house. ;)
I got a sarcastic bollocking from some twat about 'those posts' for saying the exact same thing about the likes and excellents I received!

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
That must have been the safe bet, going for the understudy. With all the turmoil going on it seems an outbreak of good sense occurred and they went with the safe option - or they were still too busy with fighting and petty point scoring that it was beneath their notice and a momentary distraction until they could get stuck into each other again on the big B subject.

Take your pick.

Sumo

War Hero
That must have been the safe bet, going for the understudy. With all the turmoil going on it seems an outbreak of good sense occurred and they went with the safe option - or they were still too busy with fighting and petty point scoring that it was beneath their notice and a momentary distraction until they could get stuck into each other again on the big B subject.

Take your pick.
Not a bad win for him just under £150K free accom in house of commons + expense account, no commute or parking costs in London, doesn't get fired? looks like a damn good win win.