(New Smoking Law) What utter Bollocks!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by NotmeChief, Sep 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just seen on the BBC news that the new highway code says that smoking in a car could be construde as 'not being in proper control'.

The transport minister has said (live) that if you are smoking then you don't have both hands on the wheel and so are not in proper control.

I'm not saying this in support of smokers, or for any other reason than what a pirck.

If that is the case then how are we supposed to change gear as we have to take our hand off the wheel to do so.

2. Re: What utter Bollocks!

CONTRIBUTOR MODE

Whilst it seems another step against smokers IMHO it is not the actual smoking that is the problem. What causes accidents and why no doubt the Highway Code has included this item is because many accidents have been caused by the following:

People hunting for fags and lighter and trying to light the fag even more so at night when the flare of the lighter ruins their night vision briefly.

People braking rapidly with no reason to then hop out of the car to divest themselves of the dropped cigarette.

People flicking lighted cigarette butts out of the window which can be sucked into the open windows of following vehicles, strike motor cyclists or start local fires in the dry season (If you have one)

People on Mobile phones or texting (Now illegal having been selected on its own WHY?)

People reading maps or instructions as they drive

People eating MacDonald's, Kebabs

People searching for and then changing Cd's

People engaged in sexual foreplay

Ladies applying make up

Men shaving with electric razors

You may have even more

You have all seen it or done these of some other distracting action. Tickets in London, which use to be £20 with no points a few years ago were dished out by Traffic Police for any of these offences which they deemed to be driving without due consideration to other road users. On a couple of occasions I happily paid up cos no points was better than 3 points.

Nutty

So sorry no sympathy for smokers on this one as it is nothing to do with taking your hand off the wheel its the distraction factor.

3. Re: What utter Bollocks!

Sounds like the transport minister is a none smoker to me.

Do not smoke myself but this country is getting like a nanny state, we have all gone PC MAD!!!!!!!

4. Re: What utter Bollocks!

If I didn't have an automatic, I'm sure my backseat driver would do it. She tries to do everything else.

(Hello darling. I didn't notice you standing there. No, I didn't mean you.... Ouch!)

5. Re: What utter Bollocks!

Or, indeed, apply make up!!
    geoff(ers) :nemo:

6. Re: What utter Bollocks!

Geoffers, now you've really upset her. She's getting her rolling pin and wants to know where you live!

7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Re: What utter Bollocks!

Geoff(ers) didn't realise that you were a WAFU :afro:

8. Re: What utter Bollocks!

It wasn't the smokers I was intending to defend in any way, it was the bit about not having both hands on the wheel, that was a quote from the transport minister - "If you are smoking then you haven't got both hands on the wheel" - and was wondering if manual car drivers were supposed to drive in 1st gear only as they have to take a hand off the wheel to change gear. (I am also an automatic driver, can't understand why I went all those years driving a manual, auto is great).

I didn't realise McDonalds were more dangerous than other burgers Nutty!

9. Re: What utter Bollocks!

So let's get this right!

You cannot change gear, switch the heater on, indicate, tune the radio, adjust the sun visor, switch on the wipers or the lights!!!!

I think I will sell the car and go by bus, DAM! There will be no buses for the same reason.

Spot the sarcastic undertone.

10. Re: What utter Bollocks!

CONTRIBUTOR MODE

N-M-C

Since when did you believe what Politicians say in speeches or media quotes?

So lets start at square one if it is printed in the highway code and I am sure that says nothing about taking your hand off the steering wheel to either have a puff or change gear and you ignore the instructions it can be deemed as driving with out due attention, consideration or care by a Police Officer in the circumstances in which he sees the act happen. Obviously sitting stopped in a traffic jam in Regents Street, London W1 is different to the outside lane of the M62 at 70 mph. This could of course be contested in Magistrates Court.

As for MacDonald's did you really want a list of food stuffs like the Ministers words me thinks you are clutching at straws.

Nutty

11. Re: What utter Bollocks!

The AA says:

Andrew Howard, head of road safety for AA Public Affairs, believed motorists would be divided over the new smoking guidance.

He said: "A major change is the code's inclusion of smoking at the wheel as behaviour that police may interpret as a distraction and failure to be in proper control of the vehicle.

To me that means a non smoking traffic cop is more likely to pull you over for smoking than a smokeing one.

Also I don't think you are getting my point Nutty - the transport minister said "you need both hands on the wheel", so how are you to do other car operating things like change gear without taking your hands off the wheel.

I stick with my heading - Utter Bollocks.

12. Re: What utter Bollocks!

If people want to smoke in their cars, let them. Just don't throw the tab ends out of the window once finished.

13. Re: What utter Bollocks!

Nanny State... ? Surely you really meant to say 'Dictatorship'

;)

Added:

With all the signs that the traffic fascists put up, surely having to look at those (not forgetting the cycle lanes/bus lanes/road walls/road humps etc)also constitutes a driving hazard ?

Also added !!:

With all these government instituted hazards, perhaps we can take them to court for negligence and reckless endangerment to life ?

14. Re: What utter Bollocks!

I don't smoke (but did) and reckon it is fair enough. Drawing a comparison between smoking and changing gears is not valid as smoking is not necessary to operate the car, changing gear is.

The more people are discouraged from smoking the better IMHO.

15. Re: What utter Bollocks!

Why not get the idiots who use fog lights in the rain and tail gate the cars in front.

16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Re: What utter Bollocks!

CONTRIBUTOR MODE:

I'll refrain from saying I just dropped my shaver in my conflakes as I typed this on my 'Blackberry' whilst driving to work just now. (Oops, too late.)

As an ex-smoker also, I would say that I never lost control of my vehicle whilst smoking anymore than when changing a tape/cd.

Smokers are intelligent enough to know whether smoking is healthy or not, so they do not need cretins "saving them from themselves".

17. Re: What utter Bollocks!

Remember one bloke who couldn't drive to save his life and then he decided to start smoking while driving. Death on three wheels [Reliant Robin] no problemo.

So I said to this chap in the DIY you should be outside in the sun matey. Came a voice from outside "I am" there was this woman person puffing away merrily. Having a puff are we I asked which I knew anyways with being a clever dicky. The woman person replied that this was against her civil liberties. For years I shared that smoke shite from smokers whose only concern was to get the chemical intake they need.

The Chemicals in Cigarette Smoke

Cancer causing agents and metals in cigarette smoke.

Metals

Nitrosamines

4-aminobiphenyl

Aluminum

Crysenes

Acrylonitrile

Zinc

Cadmium

Formaldehyde

Magnesium

Benzo (a) pyrene

Acetaldehyde

Hydrazine (used in jet and rocket fuels)

Yeast

List reduced by special request

18. Re: What utter Bollocks!

In my SEAT you need to take a hand off the wheel, and both eyes off the road, to make any adjustment to the heating and ventilation; something this car has in common with many others.
    You do not need to have two hands on the wheel at all times in order to properly control a car, method is the key not reaction.
    Modern cars are full of distracting buttons, Tom Toms and the like (In Spain no screen in the car may be viewed by the driver, and, mobile phones even hands free ones may not be used if the car is on the road at all, even pulled over to the side).
    As already mentioned it is the distraction factor of smoking which is the problem, not necessarily the action itself. The 'orrid film the things leave on the inside of the windscreen is probably more of danger particularly at night.
    A car with ashtray overflowing, stained by the grime, windscreen coated in a film, and the whole lot stinking, doesn't exactly give the impression that it will be driven properly - to my mind at least.

19. Re: What utter Bollocks!

Hi Nutty,

I have trimmed your post a tad, and must also apologise if I am now about to spout utter bollux.

I believe this all comes about because they have reissued the Highway Code, it has been updated and I assume now includes not using mobiles and reiterates keeping your hands on the wheel. (It is a long time since I read the old one, so do not recall what that stated about hands and wheels)

Ref your post, as an old bill does that mean that although there is not a specific charge of contravening the highway code, persons can get charged with "driving with out due attention, consideration or care if they contravene it?

For example, RANT On

The Barstewards who can only drive in a middle lane, especially those who drive onto a quiet motorway (is there such a thing) and promptly move the the middle overtaking lane and baulk me, Barsteward Cnuts, then despite the left hand lane being emptier than Charles Kennedy's Fan Club Reunion Dinner Port Decanter they stick there at 60 mph..........RANT Off

Now that should be fcuking illegal

20. Re: What utter Bollocks!

FCuking Hell BackPacker you certainly know how to fill a page

Wish I'd got my post in before that, still it's a good test for my scroll wheel, NOT